Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

bowhunting turkeys

Youngbuck1030

Bowhunter
I am a first year turkey hunter and am hopefully going to put a longbeard down with my bow. I would like any advice you can give me to hopefully have success. I have some private land that I can go to but if public is recommended Im not against tryjng it. thanks for all of the help

First time turkey hunting and planning to use a bow? Set a blind up on private with some decoys and have at it. . . . .

^^^^ get a good quality blind and decoys. Some mouth calls if you can use them or a slate call. Be where the turkeys are and don't over call. It can be so easy at times and so hard but that's hunting. Good luck and have fun!

ya i dont really see why to use a shotgun, i want a challenge. thanks for the advice

This is my exact point of view, I'm taking my wife out with the shotgun and after she gets one I'm taking my bow and it's both our first times turkey hunting. I've been doing a lot of scouting and location seems to be a big part of it, I'm on our family ground and see birds almost daily, though I know it won't be that easy !
Good luck!

This is my exact point of view, I'm taking my wife out with the shotgun and after she gets one I'm taking my bow and it's both our first times turkey hunting. I've been doing a lot of scouting and location seems to be a big part of it, I'm on our family ground and see birds almost daily, though I know it won't be that easy ! Good luck!

Scout, scout and scout some more. Figure out where the birds are roosting and set up on them. If you have a decent amount of turkeys and put in the time eventually it will happen. Just keep after it.

ya i dont really see why to use a shotgun, i want a challenge. thanks for the advice

Bow vs Gun each have their perks. The biggest thing I don't like about archery is the extra stuff you'll want to bring(blind, decoys, chair, etc.) You can also try to REAP them with a bow which would be pretty fun. I like taking the gun... Yea, you can shoot further and what not, however I have left several tags unfilled over the years because sometimes those turkeys are a straight up pain in the butt. I like to run and gun and move around and try to cut them off so a gun allows me to be more mobile and you don't have to carry anything extra to the woods with you. I'd give them both a try if I were you.

If I could give a couple tips on just turkey hunting in general they would be,

1. Don't over call.. Less is more. If you get a bird to answer you a time or two for sure, shut up. Most times they will come in and investigate. Nature is supposed to bring the hens to the tom, so we're already trying to do things backwards. They have excellent pin-point accuracy on where you are calling from, so if you think you have to keep calling to tell them where you're at, trust me, they know.

2. I can't tell you how many times I've sat one spot and they end up on the other side of the field and then the next morning I sit over there, and they go to where I was the day before. It's like they remember there was a "hen" over there yesterday and now they want to check her out. Patience is your friend. No matter how bad you want to sit where they were yesterday, sometimes it's better to give yesterdays spot another try.

3. If you know what trees the hens are roosting vs the toms.. Set up right in-between them!

Bowhunting turkeys is pretty easy.

1. Find a field they are hitting.

2. The morning of the hunt set up a blind in the middle of the field. Turkeys won't be bothered by it.

3. Set a Dave Smith Jake or best turkey decoy jake about 7 yards out in front of you with a remote redhead strut jake.

4. Throw a hen or two. Quality really doesn't matter too much if you have the high quality jake. Just something that looks descent.

5. Wait for birds to enter field.

6. Move the jake decoy to face the strutter moving him back and forth several times.

7. Wait till he is about 30 yards away from decoy and face jake back towards blind.

8. Grab bow.

9. Shoot turkey. Make sure you know there vitals. They are tough. Use the biggest broadhead you can.

10. Go home happy!!

Calling occasionally can help but if you know they are going to hit the field it really isnt needed much. I don't call too much these days when I know they will hit the field.

Patience is your best friend when hunting turkeys.

Very good advice above. I echo what has already been said. Good luck, and sit super still. A turkey can catch movement ten times better than a deer.

After three years of tag soup chasing whitetails I relish the opportunity to quickly and efficiently slaughter one with my Benelli!

Also, hunt with a buddy or someone if you are bowhunting. Like others have said it is a pain to setup for bowhunting turkeys. If not, set up a day in advance so all you have to worry about is packing your bow in. It is never fun packing in a chair, blind, decoys, calls, and your bow (only to forget your range finder or release in the truck!!).

Is there any reason not to set up my blind before season so I don't have to pack it all in?

My gameplan was to set my blind up, on the edge of a small tree line that protrudes into the rye plot I have from last fall, maybe a week before youth season and if my nephew wants to use it for youth we can, otherwise it's already set up for me with my bow. I was going to use a hen and a jake decoy only, do I need more or less?

If you've got permission on good private ground where no one can see your stuff from the road, etc.. , set up your blind ahead of the season and keep your decoys inside. If you're hunting public, It's probably going to be a huge pain, especially if you don't have a friend to help.

I shot my turkey last season on a Sunday afternoon where I had nothing better to do than take a nap against a tree. No calling, no decoys, no blind; he just happened to walk by. Not telling you to make that your game plan, just saying that ya never know!

Sent from my XT1030 using IW

If you've got permission on good private ground where no one can see your stuff from the road, etc.. , set up your blind ahead of the season and keep your decoys inside. If you're hunting public, It's probably going to be a huge pain, especially if you don't have a friend to help.

Our ground is secluded from the road and havent had any problems with thieves for quite sometime. I didnt know if it would bother the turkeys if it was set up for a while or not.

Our ground is secluded from the road and havent had any problems with thieves for quite sometime. I didnt know if it would bother the turkeys if it was set up for a while or not.

Turkeys are not bothered by a ground blind. Wether it's been there a month or an hour they won't pay much attention to it.

^^^^ I set my blind up every day I hunt. I never leave it out there my luck the first time I did it would get stolen. It's good exercise.

The wind can also destroy them if u set them out early. No matter how good you stake them....

The only time I tried setting it up the day before, I got to where it was supposed to be and it was gone! Had it staked down with tent stakes and the wind still took it. Kind of ruins the hunt when your a hundred yards from roosted toms and searching for a camo blind and all your gear in the dark. Since then I've just carried it in with me when I'm headed hunting. Like others have posted its nice to bring a friend along to help and there's even a decent chance for both of you to get a shot at one.

Getting all your stuff out there by yourself is definitely a bear. This will be my secret weapon this year since all I hunt is mainly fields. Will easily haul everything I need and is quiet as a mouse.
982-cart.png

Getting all your stuff out there by yourself is definitely a bear. This will be my secret weapon this year since all I hunt is mainly fields. Will easily haul everything I need and is quiet as a mouse.
982-cart.png
Get that thing patented and in production I`ll buy one:)

Top Bottom