Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Brassicas

July 21st, 2011

Well....we received a 1/4" of ran in SE Iowa....not much but after 30 days without a drop, we'll take it! The plots that have been in a good crop rotation where we have been tilling under rye and clover have significant organic matter built up which in turn holds soil moisture...critical in extended dry periods such as are having this year and the tiny brassicas are emerging.

IMG_5581.jpg

Some people were blessed with 1-2" of rain and there brassicas are exploding to life but it's a little tougher for ours...

IMG_5582.jpg

Fields with poor soil and lower OM have little or no germination

IMG_5587.jpg

Thank goodness we have strip plots so there is always, always food sources there 365 days a year! Right now it's soybeans and clover keeping them coming while the brassicas wait for....rain....

IMG_5588.jpg

Am i little behind beens i have not planted my brassicas yet? When is normal time to plant them? I am not planting alot but have some left from last year. The deere really didnt hit them much but there sure liked the GHFR.

Am i little behind beens i have not planted my brassicas yet? When is normal time to plant them? I am not planting alot but have some left from last year. The deer really didn't hit them much but there sure liked the GHFR.

Right now is the right time to plant...mid July thru early August, so any time now will work...:way:

Alright I have an idea of what will happen if you add too much nitrogen to your brassica plots but like others have stated what will happen if a person dumps to much P&K.

Suggested rates appear to be 200 of Urea and 400 of 6-24-24. So what would happen if someone dumps 800lbs of 6-24-24? Will it hurt that plant or not get used and just be leeched away into the sub soil?

Alright I have an idea of what will happen if you add too much nitrogen to your brassica plots but like others have stated what will happen if a person dumps to much P&K.

Suggested rates appear to be 200 of Urea and 400 of 6-24-24. So what would happen if someone dumps 800lbs of 6-24-24? Will it hurt that plant or not get used and just be leeched away into the sub soil?

Unlike nitrogen P&K can be built up and stored so to speak so if you over applied it shouldn't hurt anything (unless it was to extremes) and should remain available.

Nitrogen can leach away within months if there is heavy rainfall so that we want to keep from applying more then the plants can use in one growing season...:way:

Just planted my brassica mix and as soon as i got back in my truck it started to rain... Perfect timing cant wait to share some pics once it starts growing...

I planted 3 acres the last two days. A monster storm may have skirted just over the fields but missed town by a few miles. By monster I mean scary....it developed in forty five minutes and dropped a funnel visible from town.

August 4th,2011

We planted the last of the brassicas for this season yesterday on low ground that 6 weeks ago was flooded! Its amazing how heavy rains and flooding can compact soils so hopefully we'll get some much needed rain now so that the Groundhog Forage Radish can do it's job and loosen the terribly compacted soils.

Right now however the soil is bone dry and hard as a rock!

DustyDry.jpg

2 1/2 more acres in the ground with 200#'s of urea per acre tilled in to boot...all we need is rain!

EastField.jpg

Pics of irrigated fodder beets at 6 weeks

FodderBeets-week6.jpg

Interesting to see how big these get by October?

FodderBeetsweek6.jpg

As I post this...storms are firing up west of us...like so many times before, hard to get it excited but hoping for the best. Could be worse...I could live in Texas.... :eek:

Planted my first ever brassica plot a couple weeks ago. I realize it's a fall plot, but when will deer start feeding on it?

Planted my first ever brassica plot a couple weeks ago. I realize it's a fall plot, but when will deer start feeding on it?

Depending on which brassica species you planted it could be late August to late November.

generally they hit the forage radish when it reaches 12" high or so and focus on those until they are wiped out, then the rape plants, later the turnip tops and lastly the turnip roots themselves.

Let us know what you observe on your brassicas this fall...;)

The plot is Cabela's Ultimate Forage Brassica. It contains forage rape, forage turnip, and chicory. It has taken to the soil really well, an average height of about 8"-10" so far. Looking forward to see the deer benefit from it.

August 7th, 2011

Cheez Whiz...it's been a long, hot and very dry summer here in SE Iowa! No appreciable rainfall for almost 6 weeks in our area has made it nearly impossible to get any brassicas going. Only the soils where I have been tilling under winter rye and clover for 4 years now in a rotation with brassicas...has any brassica seed germinated. Even more amazing is that it germinated and hasn't died....

8-5-11Brassicas.jpg

In all the other fields where organic matter is still very low, I have not found a single seed that has germinated. You can see the chopped up rye straw here and the lack of weeds among the tiny brassicas...

August5-11Brassicas.jpg

A friend of mine planted his later then mine and was fortunate to get an inch of rain on them...night and day difference!

FredsBrassicas8-5.jpg

We finally received a 1/2" yesterday and chances are at least good for more combined with cooler temps so perhaps there is hope for our brassicas yet.

If yours are up and growing...please share pics of growth this summer and fall.. :way:

August 7th, 2011

Only the soils where I have been tilling under winter rye and clover for 4 years now in a rotation with brassicas...has any brassica seed germinated. Even more amazing is that it germinated and hasn't died....

Boy just think of what the plow down and poultry litter could grow in a situation like that. :way:

central Iowa PT turnips, DER and GHFR at 14 days where there has been plenty of rain. :grin:

Attachments

• brassica.jpg
    brassica.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 307
  • brassica2.jpg
    brassica2.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 308
Last edited:
Hopefully the same mix we planted in southern Iowa last week will grow as good now that we got some rain down there.

Brassica coming in good, 10-12" in some places. Received a 1/2" of rain yesterday right when it needed it.

image-1496311271.jpg

image-2361818865.jpg

Top Bottom