Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Brassicas

You guys are killing me with the rain and beautiful brassicas! :thrwrck::D

Great job guys! :way:

I am concerned about planting my Brassica plot too early. I planted it the 1st of July ( after reading it's best to plant mid to late July). The plot is healthy, and has had great rain supply. But I fear it may start to rot by the time it frosts here, which is usually the second week of october. Is it in trouble?

I am concerned about planting my Brassica plot too early. I planted it the 1st of July ( after reading it's best to plant mid to late July). The plot is healthy, and has had great rain supply. But I fear it may start to rot by the time it frosts here, which is usually the second week of october. Is it in trouble?

It may be fine, a little borderline but I would just watch that it doesn't start going to seed in late September, if not it should work out ok for you...;)

dbltree said:
It may be fine, a little borderline but I would just watch that it doesn't start going to seed in late September, if not it should work out ok for you...;)

Thanks for the input dbltree. I hope it lasts till the frost hits. Really want the deer to benefit from it. I'll keep ya updated with pics.

August 14th, 2011

I planted brassicas on farms that spanned a roughly 50 mile stretch which of course have received varying amounts of rainfall. The whole area has been excessively dry with the last significant rainfall on June 28th, so with planting done the third week of July all soils were powder dry already.

Near my home we have had less then a 1/2" in 46 days now and it had virtually no effect on the dry soils which still look like this...

Brassica10.jpg

Zero germination thanks to no rain and mediocre organic matter

Brassica9.jpg

leaving nothing but bare, empty fields

Brassica8.jpg

35 miles to the west they received an inch of rain on top of the 1/2" we had and germination has now reached nearly 80-90%

Brassica2-4.jpg

Sown with a Brillion seeder, the seeding is uniform and coming up well

Brassica3-3.jpg

Fields with poor organic matter are a little less uniform

Brassica1-5.jpg

Then those with better OM

Brassica4-3.jpg

Brassica5-3.jpg

The Groundhog forage radish are clearly growing faster then the rape and turnips

Brassica6-2.jpg

15 miles east with .400" of rain since planting but higher OM thanks to rye/clover plow downs germination is not uniform but growth after germination is good despite the drought.

IMG_5697.jpg

IMG_5696.jpg

We have had day after day in which the forecast called for "drenching" rains of 1-2" and yet received not a single drop, so at this point I have little confidence in forecast from anyone. We have been by passed by storms when the forecast called for 70-100% chance of rain...that's just life and a reminder that regardless of how well we prepare, how much money we spend and how correct our planting procedures...we have zero control over the weather. Too much or too little can lead to complete failures or at best mediocre results.

Our only defense is to rely on multiple crops in each plot or field so that one can carry the load when another fails. Building soil organic matter and improving soil nutrients through crop rotations, tilling under green manure crops and soil testing to help us maintain balanced levels of soil nutrients and PH can be great "crop insurance" when the weather challenges us.

On some fields a rain now and then may get us by, on others it will be "rye to the rescue" as we re-plant using rye as the cornerstone in a mix that is far more drought tolerant.

Once brassicas get a good start they can take some dry weather and a friend was fortunate to get an inch of rain right after planting which made a significant difference in growth! He is hoping for rain just as I am but for now...his sure look a lot more promising!

FredsBrassicas.jpg

Its amazing people get paid to predict the weather. I wish I could still get paid to be wrong as many times as they have!

Same central Iowa plot at 3 weeks, what a difference. Dbltree - we can not thank you enough for all the information that we have gained from you over the last year. Everything from seed and fertilizer rates to planting times. We've followed your instructions and look what has happened. Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG00159-20110814-1537.jpg
    IMG00159-20110814-1537.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 293
Southern Iowa brassica mix after one week and a couple inches of rain. This was pasture before being tilled under and seeded, no tilled corn to the right got planted late and sprayed late isn't going to produce any corn, good advice on having multiple food sources in one spot as clover and brassicas are going to make it. Thanks again Dbltree!

Attachments

• leon1week.jpg
    leon1week.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 288
  • leon1week(2).jpg
    leon1week(2).jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 305
Weather is a funny thing. Three weeks ago I was wondering about planting our brassicas in mid-Aug. b/c of the lack of rain. NOW that's it's planting time, I'm having to wait a week longer than anticipated b/c it's too wet.:rolleyes: I'll be the first to admit, a WONDERFUL problem to have. Looks like I'll be able to get them in tomorrow evening, we've already tilled in beans and some corn, that both were hit hard by the deer, along with urea. One more quick round with the disk and cultipacker, and we'll be ready to go!

We FINALLY are getting a rain in central IA. I ran out in the rain this morning and over seeded some brassicas into my soybeans which were thin in spots. Of course the forecast was calling for rain tom. so I was planning on seeding them today before the rain. But I woke up and it was drizzling so I ran out and did them. We needed a rain bad.

I have some grass coming up in my plots is Clethodim the best choice for this?
Seen the brassica plots for the first time last weekend since planting they look not to bad but a little behind where they should be. looks like we got lucky around the 24th (based on trail cam picts) and caught one of the big isolated southern Iowa storms as we had 3" in the rain gauge.With this mornings rain I think they will make it.

Must be nice we havent had a measureable amount of rain up north here for ALONG time! Let it rain Let it rain!

I have some grass coming up in my plots is Clethodim the best choice for this?
Seen the brassica plots for the first time last weekend since planting they look not to bad but a little behind where they should be. looks like we got lucky around the 24th (based on trail cam picts) and caught one of the big isolated southern Iowa storms as we had 3" in the rain gauge.With this mornings rain I think they will make it.

Three inches!! :eek:....thats not fair Travis! three tenths is a big event over my way...:rolleyes:

Yep...use 8 ounces of clethodim and 1 quart of crop oil to safely kill grasses in brassicas :way:

"Be careful what you wish for"... That is what I am hearing with the fact that our farm looks to be getting 3+ inches today. We got our 2.5-3 acres of brassicas in the ground last Thursday. The problem is that over half of the plot has poorly drained soil. Will this rain flood them out or is this rain good for them? There shouldn't be too much standing water but the soil will be VERY wet for awhile. THis is our first food plot on the new farm so we are excited about it but nervous as well.

"Be careful what you wish for"... That is what I am hearing with the fact that our farm looks to be getting 3+ inches today. We got our 2.5-3 acres of brassicas in the ground last Thursday. The problem is that over half of the plot has poorly drained soil. Will this rain flood them out or is this rain good for them? There shouldn't be too much standing water but the soil will be VERY wet for awhile. THis is our first food plot on the new farm so we are excited about it but nervous as well.

We had brassicas flooded out last year or at least severely impacted by saturated soils so so it can be a problem. In your case it may be fine if sunshine follows for the next few days.

We got just enough to settle the dust...:(

Dbltree,

I have a couple of pictures to ask you about. They are our plots as of today Aug. 18th, they have a mixture of 1 lb DER, 1.5 lbs of each PT and Burkrant Turnips, and 2 lbs GHR per acre. I know that there are a few brassicas in there for sure, which I assume are the ground hogs because of their nature in size....but I'm not for sure. Also, there is a bunch of other small plants in the plot, but with not much experience with this mix, I can't tell if the majority of this is pigweed, or if it is infact brassicas. I know that there is 5 brassicas for in this picture, but all the others....weeds or ?

297433_544944166749_138801477_31179507_7023015_n.jpg

Here is what the plot looks like standing in the middle and looking back to the south....the WHOLE plot looks like this...so part of me is hoping more of it is brassicas than weeds....

299258_544944186709_138801477_31179508_6283392_n.jpg

Top Bottom