Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Brassicas

August 28th, 2011

Where the brassicas were planted into soils improved by tilling under oats and berseem clover and winter rye and red clover for a number of years...germination and subsequent growth is night and day difference then soils with low organic matter.

IMG_5854.jpg

A 60 day drought here in SE Iowa took it's toll, with many brassica plots failing to even germinate and others germinating and then dying, yet these not only germinated but are thriving on the soil moisture held by the high levels of organic matter.

IMG_5867.jpg

The lush green color tells us they are healthy and have plenty of nitrogen from both decomposing clovers and applied urea.

IMG_5869.jpg

Combined with standing grain soybeans this will be an outstanding plot November thru January

IMG_5864.jpg

The soybeans and any thin areas in the brassicas will be overseeded with winter rye at 50-150#'s per acre in early September to round out the plot and provide food sources until clovers green up in the spring. Note the lack of weeds thanks to the allelopathic chemicals in the winter rye and smothering effects of the red clover tilled under to plant these brassicas.

IMG_5863.jpg

Purple Top Turnips

IMG_5857.jpg

Dwarf Essex Rape

IMG_5855.jpg

Groundhog forage radish

IMG_5856.jpg

The mix was sown at the following rates

3#'s PTT
2#'s DER
5#'s of GHFR

The rate seems high because normal seeding rates for brassicas are 5#'s per acre....but here why it work so well!

Deer begin to hammer the GHFR...they love this stuff like nothing I have ever planted and only sugar beets can compete on most farms. Sugar beets however are high maintenance like corn and require herbicides to keep weeds at bay over the long growing season.

IMG_5858.jpg

GHFR is simple and easy to plant spring or summer and deer will "thin" them out while ignoring the rest of the brassicas...for now.

IMG_5859.jpg

It's difficult to find a plant that has not been grazed

IMG_5871.jpg

IMG_5876.jpg

Some are literally destroyed already!

IMG_5877.jpg

You know GHFR is highly attractive when deer stop feeding on lush healthy soybeans and focus on the radish plants!

I had put up a Bushnell 2011 Trophy cam in this plot and it's interesting to watch the deer switch!

Z2.jpg

Z3.jpg

Z4.jpg

It's hard to beat adding groundhog forage radish to your summer brassicas plots or your fall winter rye plots, they are candy that will draw deer away from other food sources and neighboring crops. They can also be used in the spring to draw deer away from young soybeans and corn and have become an indispensable too in my habitat program.

Z5.jpg

Everyone everywhere experiences severe drought from time to time so be sure to use a rotation that allows you to till under tons of biomass each year to build organic matter and lower fertilizer costs. A 3 way rotation of white clover, brassicas and winter rye/oats/peas/radish and red clover planted in strips or blocks within each field or plot will allow you to rotate crops to both control pests and disease problems but also utilize the strengths of each crop all simultaneously to attract and hold whitetails year around.

Start including GHFR with your summer and fall plantings as an irresistible food source for whitetails and if they are not eaten...also a great soil builder, nitrogen scavenger and soil pulverizer to break up hard pan soils....;)

One month in the ground

3# PTT, 2# DER, 5# GFR, 100# N, 100# 8-24-24 planted in central Iowa on 7/25.

Attachments

• ptop30days.jpg
    ptop30days.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 317
  • brassica30days.jpg
    brassica30days.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 294
  • radish30day.jpg
    radish30day.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 312
  • dwarf30day.jpg
    dwarf30day.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 290
Dbltree,

do you have a potenant mix to get rid of a invasion of pig weed but keep out brassicas strong and growing? They seem to be choking out the brassicas a little bit.

Thanks!

Dbltree I planted my brassica Purpletop/GHFR/Rape mix on August 6th but unfortunately like you and others I didn't get a rain on my plot till Tuesday. Nothing had germinated when I was out on the 27th. My questions is now with Tuesdays rain granted they germinate and come up now will they have enough time to mature enough to feed the deer this winter? I planted Winter Rye/Winter Peas/White Clover in the same field on August 20th so I've got a backup food source like you suggest but sure hoping to have some brassicas as well

Thanks

It all depends on the first frost. My best turnips I have ever had were planted on September 1st.

Dbltree,

do you have a potent mix to get rid of a invasion of pig weed but keep out brassicas strong and growing? They seem to be choking out the brassicas a little bit.

Thanks!

I hate pigweed! Nasty stuff and very hard to control especially in other broadleaf crops. Stinger is safe on brassicas but I don't think it will kill pigweed...you may have to clip the tops off the pigweed to get by for this year. This is why I use the winter rye/brassica rotation because it helps to control small seeded broadleaf weeds.

Dbltree I planted my brassica Purpletop/GHFR/Rape mix on August 6th but unfortunately like you and others I didn't get a rain on my plot till Tuesday. Nothing had germinated when I was out on the 27th. My questions is now with Tuesdays rain granted they germinate and come up now will they have enough time to mature enough to feed the deer this winter? I planted Winter Rye/Winter Peas/White Clover in the same field on August 20th so I've got a backup food source like you suggest but sure hoping to have some brassicas as well

I'm curious about this myself...some fields had zero germ so i tilled then under and planted the rye mix but some had partial germination so I'm just watching to see if anymore come up?

This late in the season all the stars have to be aligned just right to still get a decent crop but as Jason notes, it is possible. Keep us posted on what happens with yours? Brassicas will germinate in as little as 3 days so if nothing is up in a week...I would replant with rye. ;)

Dbltree, our brassicas will have been in the ground for three weeks this-coming Tuesday. At this point it looks like there has been very little germinization. I haven't given up hope yet, and we do have the possibility of some rain this weekend. Here's my question: we're planning on planting rye and clover on the 15th. If we haven't had rain by then I was planning on working the brassica plot and seeding it to rye. If a lot of the brassica hasn't yet germinated, could I run a harrow instead of a disk, to rough the ground up enough to get the rye covered when I pack it? Would the brassica seed be buried too deep to even bother with it? Or should I go with the original plan of disking? (I would think the rye would get better soil contact by disking...) We planted turnips, ghfr, and der...

Last edited:
Dbltree, our brassicas will have been in the ground for three weeks this-coming Tuesday. At this point it looks like there has been very little germinization. I haven't given up hope yet, and we do have the possibility of some rain this weekend. Here's my question: we're planning on planting rye and clover on the 15th. If we haven't had rain by then I was planning on working the brassica plot and seeding it to rye. If a lot of the brassica hasn't yet germinated, could I run a harrow instead of a disk, to rough the ground up enough to get the rye covered when I pack it? Would the brassica seed be buried too deep to even bother with it? Or should I go with the original plan of disking? (I would think the rye would get better soil contact by disking...) We planted turnips, ghfr, and der...

A light harrowing and then cultipacking the seed in would do the trick Jamie...under good conditions with plenty of rain you can just broadcast seed right on top but since it's dry in your area covering the seed a little would be helpful :way:

Between the drought and deer damage, my corn food plots were completely worthless. I mowed half of them today and tilled them under. Then I pretended that is was August 2nd (instead of Sept 2nd) and planted turnips, radishes, and rape. This is an experiment. I tilled in 200# of urea and am hoping that we get rain tomorrow and that everything germinates. It will be interesting to see what I end up with. Even if I get golf or tennis ball sized turnips, that's better than 10 bushel corn! Everything else will go into cereal grains.

I also noticed today that the rain 2 days ago finally germinated the brassicas i planted 4 weeks ago. It will be interesting to see what these brassicas end up producing. Paul, would it benefit the brassicas to spread more fertilizer in a month or so after they germinate? I did this last year and it seemed like it helped.

would it benefit the brassicas to spread more fertilizer in a month or so after they germinate? I did this last year and it seemed like it helped.

Sure...just ahead of a good rain broadcast 50-100#'s of urea to give them a "shot int the arm"...:way:

Mike sent some progress pics of his brassicas from up in WI

MikeBrassica1.jpg

Farmer cut and chopped the alfalfa and then Mike tilled it up and planted

MikeBrassica2.jpg

It's been very dry up Mikes way to so the alfalfa coming back isn't helpful but it looks like they are doing alright!

Mikebrassica3.jpg

These are fodder beet update pics at 50 days with supplemental watering

Fodderbeet55days.jpg

Tried a little experiment on some groundhog forage radishes:
Here is a pic of the finished product, area was tilled, fluffy soils left, and the radishes were broadcast and that was it. Had a 3 inch rain come in 1-2 days after that and I would call this stand a success without any cultipacking needed.
Radishes.jpg

Sure wish my mix looked half as good as those picks.... I feel like i wasted $75... A learning experience....

I planted the mixture of turnips, brassicas, and forage radishes in a one acre spot in a field edge that wasn't planted in corn because it was a little to wet at the time. It was worked up earlier in the year when the corn was planted so i figured i could just broadcast the seeds and let the rain sink them into the ground a little bit. But i guess that didn't work. The only spots that are coming up are where there are some deer track or some tractor ruts going through the plot. I am thinking that because it was worked up when it was a little to wet and we got a pretty heavy rain after it was worked up that the ground harden up to much to let the seeds grow... Hoping it goes better with the radishes i plan on broadcasting between my soybeans in a couple weeks!!!

September 8, 2011

Some pics of brassica growth on different soils on one large farm, all planted the same way, same seed, same fertilizer etc. just to show the importance of soil building while attracting whitetails at the same time.

This field was pasture for years so it's a work in progress as we begin the rye/clover and brassica rotation...soils no bad but PH was very low (lime added) and OM is mediocre.

IMG_5967.jpg

IMG_5968.jpg

Field 2 has different soils within the same plot, with some of it being quite sandy along a drainage, the better soils have outstanding crops!

IMG_5970.jpg

IMG_5971.jpg

IMG_5972.jpg

Thanks to plenty of nitrogen and OM that holds moisture the brassicas have a rich deep green color indicating very healthy crops!

IMG_5973.jpg

In the sandy areas however both brassicas and Egyptian Wheat have suffered from lack of rain...

IMG_5974.jpg

Note the stunted, discolored plants which are not lacking for any elemental nutrients...just water!

IMG_5975.jpg

Field 3 has naturally good OM and the brassicas look outstanding despite only minimal rains

IMG_5980.jpg

Very healthy and inches above the first field in height!

IMG_5982.jpg

Every soil in every field across the country can be improved and frustrating and disappointing crop failures can be reduced by rotating rye and clover with brassicas (followed by oats and berseem) on a continual rotation to build up soils, as well as provide year around food sources for whitetails that are irresistible.

These are just more evidence that this very common basic mix of Purple Top Turnips, Dwarf Essex Rape and Groundhog Forage Radish will be sought after by whitetails long before a frost in most situations!

IMG_5985.jpg

In this case primarily the rape and radish plants are being grazed...and within feet of a giant corn field and yards of an even larger soybean field...oh....did I mention the lush alfalfa field around the corner??

IMG_5987.jpg

The difference is that this field is hidden and deer feel safe there...create a safe, well screened feeding area and keep year around food sources growing there and deer will feed there...often regardless of what you offer them... ;)

September 11th, 2011

Here in my area of SE Iowa we experienced a 2 month drought with no appreciable rainfall between June 28th and August 30th. During tough times like that we see the huge difference in soils with great organic matter and those that do not...one farm on which I took over management of the habitat this year is comprised of the latter and not a single brassica germinated in any of the planted fields. In late August I disced them up and re-planted the brassica 1/2 of each field along with the rye mix 1/2 of each field...ALL to the cereal combination...having little other choices.

My son and I got rained out of this field as we were cultipacking it....the original brassica planting (now rye) on the left and the new rye planting on the right....

IMG_6072.jpg

I was surprised to see however that the brassica seed that had laid there for 2 months and then been disced under with a 16' disc...all came up with nearly 2" of rain!!

IMG_6074.jpg

I am often asked how long the seed can lay there and will it come up eventually and in some cases I have had the seed come up the following spring....all it needs is rain! I'm also asked however about planting rape and turnips with fall cereals or in early September alone and this will be a good example of why we plant brassicas in July versus September!

These are brassicas planted in mid July on soils where we have been building OM by tilling under rye and red clover...they also did not receive a drop of rain from June 28th to August 30th....

IMG_6038.jpg

That growth is not only a testament to wise soil building through use of good cover crops such as rye and clover but also shows the dramatic difference in yield between mid summer and fall planted brassicas. While some feed can be attained by the late planted brassicas they will never produce anywhere near what the summer planted can achieve.

IMG_6029.jpg

IMG_6030.jpg

These July planted brassicas will produce several tons of forage and root food sources that will carry deer well into mid winter

IMG_6031.jpg

They are lush and healthy despite little rain thanks to soils rich in organic matter and 200#'s of urea!!

IMG_6032.jpg

The Purple Top turnips are rapidly developing

IMG_6033.jpg

as are the radish roots

IMG_6034.jpg

Some of you may have read the article in The Furrow about farmers planting thousands of acres of radish and other brassicas into their corn/soybean crop fields as a cover crop to help hold P (phosphorous) along with top soil itself. In addition the deep tap roots mine P from sub soils and leave it on the surface for the next crop...perfect for us as a cover crop and a food source for whitetails!

IMG_6035.jpg

here we are rotating soybeans and brassicas...the soys are overseeded with rye and red clover and the brassicas will be planted to soybeans next year...perfect combination of soil building crops and unbeatable food sources to hold whitetails year around!

IMG_6039.jpg

The soybeans will be an outstanding draw this winter but as they yellow and become unattractive to deer, the brassicas provide a ready source of forage to keep deer fat and happy without missing a single day of providing food within this plot.

z10.jpg

z11.jpg

They are still focusing on the Groundhog forage radish...allowing the rape and turnips to continue to grow...

IMG_6026.jpg

Please share your own experiences with brassicas this fall, when they were planted and how they are being utilized by deer as fall progresses into winter... ;)

PT turnips & winter Rye

Spoke to the farmer today who let me broadcast some Winter rye & Turnips into standing corn, he got pretty nervous when i informed him of the turnips being broadcast! He said that worries him and wish I hadnt planted them. He said they will grow wild and may be trouble for him in the years to come??? Is this true?

Spoke to the farmer today who let me broadcast some Winter rye & Turnips into standing corn, he got pretty nervous when i informed him of the turnips being broadcast! He said that worries him and wish I hadnt planted them. He said they will grow wild and may be trouble for him in the years to come??? Is this true?

I've been planting brassicas for years and never had any problem with them growing "wild"...he'll rotate to soybeans and nuke them all with glyphosate anyway...end of story.

If I were you I would go in and kill the rye and turnips in early April with gly yourself so he doesn't have any worries but the only time I have seen people have some brassicas return is when the area is left fallow AND they went to seed the previous summer...not likely to happen in his crop fields...

Thanks Paul that gives me peace of mind didn't figure they would grow wild but wasn't sure! Don't wanna ruin a good thing with the owner!

Top Bottom