Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Broadheads for Turkeys

liv4archery

PMA Member
I have no experience hunting turkeys with my bow. My father-in-law has hunted the last two seasons and has solidly hit two turkeys but was unable to recover either of them. It is frustrating him to the point that he is hesitant to hunt them with a bow. He has had complete pass throughs on both Toms but has been unable to recover the birds. I was wondering if there is a particular set-up that you guys are using as it seems that many of you are able to stop the big toms successfully with stick and string.

Good post!

I have been thinking about this a lot. I think I'd want something that hits REAL HARD and doesn't pass through. Maybe a mechanical with a large cutting diameter?? Rocket arrowheads has some insanely heavy mechanicals with like 2" cutting diameter. I've seen another brand in the past with a poduct designated as gobbler getter's or something like that.

What does everybody shoot?

this past year i've used rockets with good success. i think you need to use at least 125 grain broadhead if you shoot expandables. i'm going back to my muzzy's but am putting an adder blade behind them to keep 'em from going through. will be wicked. i want the broadhead and arrow to stay in the bird. i'll post a pic of what i'm talking aobut if i can remember.

Thanks for posting that muddy! I'd love to see a pic if you have one.

I took the time to look one up...those Rocket Buckblaster's just scream turkey hunting to me! They're almost obnoxious.

Think I will be packing about the same in my quiver as muddy. Going to go with a 3 blade 100 grain head backed by a grabber. Last year I had a pass through on a nice tom and get this - blood trailed him for about 100 yards before loosing the trail. Walked around quite a bit and never did find him. Must have just missed the good stuff, because I have killed at least 3 birds with the bow. Judging yardage from the ground blind seems to be a little more difficult for me than out of a tree stand. Aim small...

Bigger blade or not the main thing is on Big Toms you have to have a good shot on them.And i think we all know how small the vitals section on these birds are.Would definitely go to something that does not pass through though.

here's a pic of some stuff i've used.

far left is a muzzy with a judo spring behind it. i believe that this is a legal set up because there is a cutting blade in front of the spring.

center is what i'm going to use this spring. i've had success with rockets but do not like how they back out when the bird is flying or running away. i want that 'head cutting and cutting and cutting some more. the adder point is behind the muzzy. it looks like a 8 pronged star and is VERY solid. need pliers to bend it at all.

far right is what i've had good success with. that broadhead has killed 2 turkeys and my second antlerless deer this year. i think on an expandable you need at least 125 grains, but that's a personal opinion. oh, that's a Rocket Miniblaster 75 grain head with a 1 3/4 inch cutting diameter.

411BroadheadsDiffs-med.JPG

I don't have any experince hunting turkey also, but would like to try it. I have seen at a dealer a muzzy broadhead with 4 blades and 1 set of the blades in the shape of a C with the open part faceing to the front. He said it helps break bones and kepts the broadhead from passing thru. Has anyone used broadheads and do they work?

Do you think the one on the left or the center one would have any disrupted flight passing through a net on a blind?

tracker

the one on the left most definately, the one with the adder point probably would be affected but not too bad. i don't shoot through mesh so i'm not worried. i just want the arrow and broadhead to stay in the bird.

I bet the middle one would go through the mesh just fine as the actual head will do the hole cutting and it should just wizz right through. I would be hesitant to shoot the one on the left through since it has a grabber that could snag on a loose cut piece of mesh material and deflect your arrow. If I was planning on using the middle setup and shooting through material I would want to test it out first. Maybe not on the blind, but get a chunk of the material and staple it to a piece of cardboard with a hole in it and shoot it and see what happens. Better to be safe than sorry.

I think shot placement has a lot to do with how far the birds run after they've been hit. I've got a lot of chickens that run sort of half wild around the farm. When you want one for dinner the easiest way to catch one is with an arrow. Makes good practice for turkeys too
smile.gif
I've found that with shots through the wings they still run a long ways (even with broadheads). Hip shots put them down, but you still have to wring their necks. Head or neck shots drop them in their tracks and kill them at the same time.

i agree greywolf, totally 100% that shot placement is key for a turkey with the bow. my theory is that if, for some reason, i don't hit the sweet spot one of those adder heads behind the broadhead will keep that 'head a cuttin' and a cuttin' whether the bird flies or runs therefore inflicting more damage and putting the little buger down quicker. i've shot birds in the guts, heart, legs, thighs, wings, and heads. each one i've had to run down...well, the head shot one i didn't, but you get my point!! more damage = quicker recovery.

I've had success with both Spitfires (1 1/2") and Rocket Sledgehammers (3 1/2"). A big cutting diameter is definitely my recommendation. Keeping the arrow in the bird is no guarantee you'll recover it, as I've had two fly away with my arrow
cussing.gif
. Shot placement is everything on these tough birds, no matter what the broadhead and arrow combination is.

Here is a picture of a Rocket Sledgehammer/150 grains...haven't had one fly away with one of these yet
busted.gif
...they leave a great bloodtrail too
waytogo.gif
f9fa5d72.jpg

I have had great success with Jak Hammer 100 grain heads. A big cutting diameter is the key... The more you can cut up the better... Good Luck, you will never want to hunt them with a gun again...
evil.gif

Since shot placement is such a key...is there somewhere we can go to better learn this or what are your thoughts guys.

902turkey2-med.jpg

I used one of the 100 gr gold tip expandables to take this tom a few years back. It did a fine job. I too am planning on using the Muzzy's with a stopper on the back. It just looks so deadly and there are no moving parts.

I like to use Spitfire 3-blades. Expandables stay in the bird and don't pass through. I have had friends lose birds using fixed blade broadheads. I haven't lost a bird yet using the spitfires. Also, I know some guys who turn their bows down to prevent pass throughs. I feel good shot placement is critical no matter what broadhead you choose to use.

Top Bottom