Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Broadheads for Turkeys

OK...I'll try again..Since shot placement is such a key...is there a website to go to better learn this or what are your thoughts, guys. I think alot of us could benefit.

broadside - through the drumsticks or the wing buts

facing - head shot or pass

facing away strutting - wait for the tail to go down of right up the poop shoot

facing away standing - right between the wing butts or in the neck/head

quartering too - right in the shoulder butt

quartering away - drumstick or wing butt or head

if you're looking for 100% recovery rates go for head shots, but it's TOUGH. i always try to wait for a total broadside shot or a facing away shot. a turkey needs his legs to run before he can take off and fly. take out a leg and you've got him. if you take out his wings be prepared for a possible lengthy chase. if you have an open area or can see for long distances let your bird run off and they will lay down shortly. if it's thickerr than snot around you ya may want to get on him ASAP. there's a lot of opinions on this matter. i once took off after a bird only to not recover him becasue he ran and ran and finally outdistanced me. i found him not far from where i lost hte trail a week later (feathers only left) and think if i had let him go without chasing him i may have found him fairly easily. it's always a crappshoot. good luck, hope this helps.

Facing you - right at or just above the beard is deadly...
waytogo.gif

THANKS guys..thats what I was hoping for.Now...how about some secrets on decoy placement to better ensure a preferrable shot.Thanks in advance.
bow.gif

there are a billion ways to place decoys...

when i'm bowhunting in my blind i always have decoys within 10 yards of my blind at a maximum. i tend to try and have all decoys facing the same way also. if you use a jake decoy i would face it towards the blind so as you have a back shot on the bird. the main thing is trying to get the bird within comfortable shooting range really. that's where putting dcoys close comes into play.

if im' hunting a corner i will put the decoys in a single file line with teh jake decoy last, make it look like they're heading for cover and maybe you'll get a gobbler to run over quick and investigate.

i dunno...decoys work about 50/50. make sure they're easily visible so no matter what the bird can see the stupid things. nothing hangs a gobbler quicker than hearing a hen and no hen to e seen.

good luck.

if i know where the boss is coming from and have time i will gett in between him and the decoys that way i'll asure myself that he wont hang up just outta range and he'll be over my shoulder li 20 yrds in front of the decoys.
evil.gif

Jake decoy about 2 feet from the blind, a hen about 15 yards straght out from the blind. Be prepared for a 5 yard shot. As far as broadheads, Jak Hammers or Muzzys will do the trick. With proper shot placement, I killed two turkeys in the fall with field points (i missed with the broadheads)

As always ...thanks Muddy.And Shredder,do you face them towards or away from the blind?I was going to face the jake towards me so to get a rear end shot because the tom will want to go face to face with him.right? I guess I just want to know the best way to position them for a lethal bow shot.The gun stuff is easy.

if you set your jake decoy within 5 yards of the blind or closer you should be able to spit on him and kill him!! another tip step off 10 yards and set a hen decoy there and then step off 10 yards in other directions and stick branches or something at these locations to help judge yardage. turkeys are very difficult for me due to their size. a range finder helps but some of us can't afford them. if i have time i always step off 30 yards and mark the spot somehow in more than one direction. sounds crazy but i killed both my birds last spring (with the bow) over 35 yards away.

Muddy, Does your adder blade behind your broadhead change your arrow flight? I was considering doing the same thing but haven't tried it yet.

Last season I tried an expandable but it opened in flight causing me to miss a good bird so I went back to my Muzzy's and later connected. To say that expandables fly "wierd" when they open in flight is an understatement. I guess I should have read the instructions about double o-rings on faster shooting bows before I used them. But now it's the "once bitten" rule and I'm staying with the Muzzy's.

rack - i don't notice any odd flights witht he adder blade. maybe in windy conditions? i'll keep an eeye out while i'm shooting this summer.

Top Bottom