Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Buckwheat scores big!!

After seeing the deer in person, the pictures do not do the deer justice. That rack is amazing!! I could not even get my hands around the bases.

I've had the pleasure of watching Jory grow up over the years. He has turned into a fine young man and I couldn't think of a better person to have harvested such a fine animal.

Congrats Again!!
waytogo.gif
waytogo.gif

mole

Thank you guys very much for the compliments. I havent lost this rush since i shot him on Sunday morning. I am at school right now but when i get out at 2:50 i am going to post the story on this BIG DOG. Thanks again everyone.
Jory

Ditto to what the others said. Words don't properly describe how great that deer looks. You will be excited about that guy for a long time. Congrats !!

Well everyone here is the story, sorry it took so long for me to post it.

As Bowman said we my step-dad and I got trail cam photos of this buck three years ago. After the pics we hadn't seen him while we were hunting. We hunted the small the timber fairly hard the next two years with no sightings. The timber is very small only twelve acres, but where my stand is is a funnel of three ridges coming together. I have seen a couple nice bucks over 125" but i always had in the back of my mind "Bullwinkle".
We thought that he had to be dead with no sightings or pics for two years. Well on Sunday Nov. 07, 2004 that all changed.
On Sunday morning i walked out to my stand on the 12 acre timber. It was fairly breezy so i decided to wait for it to start to get light(so I could see and maybe stalk on my way in) before I walked to the stand, so I didnt bump anything out of the fields on my way in. I ended up getting to my stand at 6:33 at 6:36 I had a just knocked an arrow when i look to my south and see a 125+ inch 8 point at about 60 yards. I had my goal for my second buck to be over the 125 mark, so i was getting ready for the shot. He ended up coming to 40 yards jumping a fence and working down a draw to my east. I was a little bummed but i knew that that was a good start to the morning not even being in my stand for five minutes. One hour later on the nose I had three does working my way. They kept looking back so I hooked the release on the loop hoping. The does worked their way in front of me at 40 yards and crossed the little creek. As soon as they crossed the creek I heard grunts coming from where the does just came from. I ended up seeing a nice buck that was a shooter so I was getting in position. He ended up chasing that doe right where she had crosed the creek in front of me at 40 yards. I was shaking really bad i couldnt control it. he ended up working his way north towards my step dads stand (he decided not to hunt because the wind would screw me up). 30 minutes(8:00) later the doe comes charging back crossed the same spot the she had before with the buck hot on her trail. I tried bleating and grunting but no response he had poon tang on his mind. This time I was shaking but not as bad as the first time i spotted this buck. At 8:30 Here comes that doe again and the buck (crossed the same spot in the creek) was right behind her, this time the does fawns bedded down about 20 yards from the base of my tree. I really was calmed down when i saw the buck this time. The doe worked back to the the west straight away from my stand and the buck was right behind her grunting every step. I figred that the doe would end up coming back for her fawns and big boy would be with her. Finally the doe came back but there was no buck. I was almost in tears when all of a sudden from that same south ridge that I initially spotted the buck first I grunts and a lot of them. This time he didnt cross where he had before he was heading to the draw behind me. As he came down the ridge at 40 yards fast I drew and he stopped broadside at 18 yards. I started my slow pull on the release and he put his nose in the air. The wind swirled and he caught a whiff. As soon as my arrow left the string he spun around and all I could see was the the fletching sticking out of his chest. He ran 10 yards to a fence and when he tried jumping the arrow caught and I heard him fall. He got right back up and ran through an open field and into the draw when i lost sight. I looked at my watch and it was 9:00. As soon as I hung my bow up I called my cousin Wayne (Bowman) I told him about the shot and that I knew I had good penetration, but I didnt know for sure right where it hit. He asked me how big he was and i said I thought it was Bullwinkle. He told me to the shot and look for blood quietly. I did and I could see blood 10 yards from the shot, I told him it had bubbles and it looked like lung blood. He told me to go to where he jumped the fence and see if I could see him dead. It was good blood all the way to the fence so I was a little less worried but not much. At the fence the arrow broke off and the blood basically stopped. I called Wayne and my step dad Wayne was on his way from about 12 miles away and my step dad with the four wheeler, he was only a mile away. I waited until 9:40 and decided me and my step dad go to where I lost sight of him. He started bleeding hard when he hit the tinber again. I thought that since he was bleeding so hard that I would keep going unless I jumped him then I would Back out. He only went about 60 more yards and he was done. The blood trail was really easy to follow. As soon as me and my step dad seen him I was jumping up and down hootin and hollerin hugging my step dad. I had that rush that I think all deer hunters live for and I LOVE it. I went back and got Bowman he came out with me and was just amazed. I couldnt get my hand around his bases. He is an amazing deer with tons of character, and it was a great pleasure in hunting him and experiencing the highs and lows of this great sport. After comparing photos he is Bullwinkle. We are guessing him at about 6 1-2 to 7 years old at least. I still have that rush right now its amazing. I want to thank first of all my cousin Wayne (Bowman) for getting me started in bowhunting getting, my first deer and also my first buck with bows on video, and everything he has taught me about both life and Hunting. Also my dad and step dad for always being there. I love you all. Also thanks Shane Guelly for the great pictures he took for me. Also Chris (onecam) for the things that he has done for me in the past.
I think this deer will be hard to beat but i am sure going to try.

He ended up being 183 5-8 inches with 7 inch bases and tons of character. The pics dont do him justice. I cant wait for next year. Good luck to everyone, and thanks again.

Wow! What a fantastic hunt. Everybody needs a least one experience like that in their hunting career. I'm still waiting for mine.

Nice job of gettting things done, Jory. Sometimes everything just works out!

Excellent story Buckwheat......I think "that feeling" is what makes us all Deer Crazy. That is one magnificent buck. Congratulations.

Great story of a great hunt, thanks for posting it.
waytogo.gif

I'll say it again, that's a tremendous buck.

Top Bottom