Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Buying a new bow

cjc77z4

Hey everyone! I am looking to buy a new bow in the next few days/weeks. I think I have it narrowed down between the Bowtech Assasin ($599), the Diamond Outlaw ($499) or the Hoyt Rampage xt ($400 Bare bow). What are your opinions or thoughts? Has anyonw shot these bows or own them? Any other suggestions aroud that price range that I havn't mentioned? Any help or insight would help a bunch.

Haven't shot either of them... I have a mathews outback that was new out of the box and had set up with sights and rest, peep, and loop, and I'm selling for $400.. :grin: probably only shot 20 arrows through it. That's my suggestion.

My advice is to try and shoot them all and let the bow choose you. Impossible to pick a bow out based on specs on a website or reading biased reviews online. Everyone likes different things in a bow from how it feels on the draw, the shot, the grip or just the overall looks and aesthetics of the bow. Ignore everyone elses opinion and make your own.

Go see Boyd-He will help you out and set you up as well. I like the Bowtech line...but not as much as the Hoyts the past two years.

Shoot them all and as Boyd said, one will pick you.

Thanks again Boyd for all the help the other day! Helped a great deal and shooting tacks now :)

My advice is to try and shoot them all and let the bow choose you. Impossible to pick a bow out based on specs on a website or reading biased reviews online. Everyone likes different things in a bow from how it feels on the draw, the shot, the grip or just the overall looks and aesthetics of the bow. Ignore everyone elses opinion and make your own.

Best advice you are going to get right there, especially the last sentence! Good luck!

Got a buddy that bought the rampage xt and loves it. thats all i can help you with. Don't have any experience with the others...go with elite:way:

My advice to everyone looking to save some money is to go out and shoot as many as you can, especially some of the top of the line bows from the previous 2 or 3 years and get a feel for which ones you like and fit you best. Then browse the classifieds on AT, there are some great deals on barely used bows so you can get a year or two old top of the line $800+ model for a great price

I would recommend fred bear, great bows for a great price i shoot the fred bear showdown and love it, super light, quiet, durable. There not a mathews or a hoyt but the way they shoot u wouldnt tell the difference.

Yes just buy a Mathews and be done with it I started with the switchback and this year upgraded to the z7x but I still. Can't bring myself to get rid of the switchback to many memories. Parker also make a decent bow for money. Shoot alot of bows is what I say but you will be the happiest with the best mathews.

I have a hoyt carbon element RKT and love it. But I dont care for the hoyt rampage. I have set several guys up with the rock and the rock 2.0. Which is like the outlaw.They are good starter bows but if you aren't looking for a starter bow you might want to look for a used higher end bow.

Last edited:
Good info guys. I too am in the market as I just sold my bow last night. Have always been a Hoyt Shooter. This year I am looking for something that is fast and quiet and feels good in the hand. My buddy is always braggin up his Z7. Think I will do as suggested and let the bow pick me by shooting as many as I can.

im a bowtech guy but shoot it and make sure its what your looking for. the bow that gives you the best first impression is your best choice. shoot alot of options.... then buy

Thanks everbody for your opinions. I have ruled out the Diamond but am still conlicted on the other two. I have the Assassin in my possession as we speak. I am going to shoot the Hoyt tomorrow morning and will make my decision tomorrow. Wish I could just buy them all!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks again.

Well I shot the Hoyt Rampage xt yesterday and it was really no contest. I loved the Hoyt and bought it. The draw was much smoother and the overall feel was better to me. After making sure both bows were at a 27" draw and only set at 58 lbs, we chronoed them and the difference was 2 fps (Hoyt @ 293 and Assassin @ 294).Both were awesom but I LOVED the Rampage. Payed $400 for the bare bow, now I need accessories.

Anyone have any suggestions for a rest. I have always shot from a whisker buiscut but I think I want to try a drop away. Not really sure though. I like how the whisker buiscut keeps the arrow in place. Thoughts?

I had always shot the whisker biscuit also. Switch to the vapor trail limb driver this year on my new hoyt and never looked back. I absolutely love it!

Top Bottom