Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Cabella's

I heard that Scheels All Sports is building in Des Moines in a new mall. I have had a lot better customer service with the Scheels stores and they offer a wide variety of sports products, not just fishing/hunting/camping. If this is true that they are building in Des Moines, you guys in that area will love it!!

your right scheels has a bigger and better selection. I lived near one in Rapid City, SD. I lived there.

Iowadeer I've been in the one in Rapid City, they had some nice whitetail racks on display in there. I antelope hunt in Buffalo, South Dakota. So we always stay in Rapid City. If its true about Cabeleas.That would be great, I live less than 3 or 4 miles from that location.
Chris

i lived in Rapid City for a few years and loved it. Really beautiful country, great people. I'd move back but I love Iowa deer better and the people are just as great. As far a Scheels, loved it, loved it, loved it!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by iowadeer (edited 02-12-2002).]

i heard something about it this last summer but i thought it was just a rumor cause this is the first thing i have heard about it since.

Cabela's is building a new store in Kansas City and Scheels is going in to Des Moines. I think it will be beneficial for hunting equipment, but a hardship on my checkbook...

That p-58 hiway is between Earlham and Desoto on I-80. If it is going in there they will have to update that road to handle the traffic.

Chris

General Growth plans to build a large new mall in West Des Moines, on 74th Street south of I-80 (DM Country Club exit), and the Scheel's is to locate in that mall. General Growth also owns the Coralville IA mall, where there is also a Scheel's.

Cabellas was also rumored to be acquiring a site in Ankeny a few years ago, but obviously never happened. Would sort of doubt that they would pick a site like P58. Would think a location such as Atlantic would be more likely if not locating in a major metropolitan area, since Atlantic is mid-way between DM and Omaha metro. Has some similarities to their Owatona and Sidney locations.

Scheel's is supposed to pretty much be a "done deal" (although nothing is ever for certain until you hear the fat lady), should be open in about 2 years. Hadn't heard anything about Cabela's (other than the old Ankeny rumor), just speculating and maybe adding a little fuel to the rumor on that.

Scheel's is also building a location in Omaha and it is slated to be open Spring of '03.

The last word about Cabela's is, they DID have an option on Des Moines, but opted to open KC when a deal came up. It will be tied into the new Nebraska Furinture Mart and between the two, something like 400,000 square feet. Right by the KC airport.

Scheels is coming to Des Moines.

[This message has been edited by sddeerhunter (edited 02-20-2002).]

Thnkd God we're not getting a Cabela's, the one in Prairie is only 90 minutes away and Owatonna is about 2 1/2 hours away. That's too much for one man to handle!!!!!!

Well I live close to DesMoines, and I've never shopped at a Scheels but from what people posted here they sound like a good outfit.
I do feel a little sorry for the locally owned sporting goods stores though, even though I'm sure I'll continue to patronize my favorite Gun and my favorite Bow stores for some things as long as they are around.

I'd rather take a trip to Coralville or Owatanna than see ANOTHER mall and parking lot cover productive farm ground and habitat. But you can't stop progress.

The guys at Scheel's told me that a Cabela's is going up in Sioux City. I don't know what truth there is to that but Scheel's is opening a "Superstore" in Sioux Falls and Sioux City. The Sioux Falls Super Store is being built right now and the Sioux City Super Store is supposed to go up this summer.

My work requires travel all over the country. so I've visited just about every store you could name. Cabela's had an option on a location near Ankeny, this was chosen to hit the I-35 and I-80 traffic, but they felt it was too close to the Owatonna store and went for the Kansas City location instead. Rumors have it that Cabela's next site will be located in Pennsylvania, it has the largest number of deer hunters in the country and currently no mega stores in this region. The biggest Cabela's is in Dundee, Michigan....it has it's own furniture and home decorating department.

All the Cabela's gun libraries are top notch, but for overall gun selection Scheels has them all beat. The Scheels in Iowa City is by far the best firearm collection of any of the mega stores. Gander Mountain's are average with low end quality guns....Bass Pro Shops are average, the best one being in Springfield, Missouri.

Scheel's store in Des Moines will be a much welcome site, central Iowa has not had much to choose from on upper end quality hunting equipment since Dennis P. Roberts was around. Floyd's and Frontier Outfitter's days are probably numbered.

Mac's Prairie Wings in Stuttgart, Arkansas is one of the finest stores for waterfoul hunters.

Cabela's Kansas City store bought out a major upper end sporting goods store and hired it's owner to run the gun department....should have some nice hardware in that store.....

[This message has been edited by Rembrandt (edited 02-17-2002).]

Top Bottom