Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Charles City Hunter Hit By Slug

blake

Life Member
From the Iowa DNR website:

Charles City Hunter Hit By Slug

An afternoon deer hunt ended with a trip to the hospital for a Charles City man. Ryan Alton, 32, was sent to the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics Sunday evening after being struck in the hip from a slug while deer hunting four miles southwest of Charles City.

The group of five hunters was pushing deer from a grove of evergreens when a hunter took the shot that struck Alton in the left hip.

According to the investigation, the shooter didn’t expect Alton to be located where he was when the deer came through the trees and he didn’t see Alton when he took the shot.

The incident remains under investigation.

Ya , poor hunter but he's young so hopefully he recovers well. I think they need to do away with all the party hunting crap completely. I've been guilty of it myself in the past but I've seen the big picture now , I had to distract my young son in our hut opening morning because some slob shotgunner had blown the front leg and guts out of a young doe that past by us. Makes me sick !

Four to six hunters trespassed and pushed my woods this weekend. Could have been a scary situation as I had a friend hunting.

Ouch! Hopefully he heals fully. Be safe out there guys! Its critical when pushing to know where you (and where everyone else) are supposed to be and stay there.

Sounds like a great opportunity to reevaluate laws regarding pushing deer to me!

I could not agree more. This is dangerous. More importantly we must lobby to outlaw hunting from any elevated stands since the injury rate from falls is higher than from being shot. I guess it is sits in ground blinds for all of us in all seasons now:way:

Ouch! Hopefully he heals fully. Be safe out there guys! Its critical when pushing to know where you (and where everyone else) are supposed to be and stay there.
Agreed, thats why when people don't go where they are told to go or once they get there they decide they wanna go somewhere else gets our group riled up. They think its all about the deer, but to us its about safety.

I could not agree more. This is dangerous. More importantly we must lobby to outlaw hunting from any elevated stands since the injury rate from falls is higher than from being shot. I guess it is sits in ground blinds for all of us in all seasons now:way:

Tradition doesn't matter when common sense tells everyone this type of hunting isn't safe.

Let's put multiple guys in the same woods, all be on level ground and shoot at moving targets!

But don't worry everyone knows where everyone else is at and bullet don't carry.......

And to say my tip on the "deer on trot" was to be aware of your surroundings and look to see what is beyond your target.

How many people have been hurt or died from falling out of tree stands and ice fishing, yet they are considered accidents and no negative comments are ever said. You have the choice to either push deer or sit, no one is making you do it.

Don't care to be involved in deer drives. HATE party hunting. Also HATE HATE HATE the idea of opening up the door to gov and others to impose more rules or worse yet their ethics on me.
Also hope the guy can make a full recovery.

Not trying to take a particular stand re: party hunting etc, however, I think the comparison of falling out of a treestand or falling through the ice to getting shot by another hunter is a poor one. In one situation, you have a person who has generally set their own circumstances (tree stand hanging +/- harness etc) vs other situations where the judgement of one person causes harm to another. Rarely do you hear of a hunter shooting him/herself. My point is, lets avoid comparing getting shot by another member of a party, or even a long carrying slug, to an individual falling in some manner on their own.

Four to six hunters trespassed and pushed my woods this weekend. Could have been a scary situation as I had a friend hunting.

That is scary. Some people have a lot of nerve! IMO trespassing fines/penalties need to go up! No doubt that saftey was jeopardized because these guys just walked where ever they wanted to. Im guessing these trespassers probably knew you are a NR and just assumed no one would be on the property?

That is scary. Some people have a lot of nerve! IMO trespassing fines/penalties need to go up! No doubt that saftey was jeopardized because these guys just walked where ever they wanted to. Im guessing these trespassers probably knew you are a NR and just assumed no one would be on the property?

He's my neighbor and he is in law enforcement, he apologized on the phone at least 10x....I did not turn him in, I simply said "this will not happen again correct" He said, "no never...."

I have 5 cameras out too, so chances are they walked by one of them

Sad, but common really

Top Bottom