Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Charles City Hunter Hit By Slug

Not trying to take a particular stand re: party hunting etc, however, I think the comparison of falling out of a treestand or falling through the ice to getting shot by another hunter is a poor one. In one situation, you have a person who has generally set their own circumstances (tree stand hanging +/- harness etc) vs other situations where the judgement of one person causes harm to another. Rarely do you hear of a hunter shooting him/herself. My point is, lets avoid comparing getting shot by another member of a party, or even a long carrying slug, to an individual falling in some manner on their own.
Actually several of the shootings during deer season the last few years were self inflicted by an unsafe act of the person handling their gun. They are all accidents and can be avoided, but for some reason they happen. This argument comes up every year and surprised it took this long. Hunting accidents happen in other states where deer drives are illegal, why? Anytime you put this many people in the woods for a short period of time the odds of accidents rise. Ever wonder why there are more vehicle accidents during high traffic periods versus lower traffic periods?

iowavf
I wasn't attempting to use factual numbers to make an argument, was merely trying to point out the fallacy of comparing party hunting shooting accidents (non self-inflicted) to self-induced accidents such as falling out of a tree stand or through the ice. Again, not arguing either side of the party hunting here, just pointing out the invalidity of that comparison as used by others.

Sounds like a great opportunity to reevaluate laws regarding pushing deer to me!
Maybe I'm missing something here, but it baffles me how an American citizen can just roll over, lick their b*lls and cry for more gov't regulation in a situation like this. I respect your God-given right to an opinion; however, this was an accident... an unfortunate incident that always seems to happen to someone else. I pray both involved recover to live long, happy and successful hunting lives... by whatever lawful means each chooses to pursue that.

Party hunting is a bit ridiculous. Why is it alright for shotgunners to do it but bowhunters and loaders can't?

Also how does a group know how many deer they have shot and killed as they are walking and pushing them? How many times are there more deer than tags?

These are real questions. I'm just curious to see how a group knows when they are spread acrossed a large area and don't get the deer until after the push

Last edited:
I think pushing in other seasons is legal- just can't swap tags unless I'm mistaken.
Whether u like pushing or not (ok, I don't but not the point here)- u all think its a dwindling hunting method in future??? The reason I ask.... Every "land manager" who owns land I know hates it & won't allow it. As land is sold & folks won't allow it (right or wrong, it's the owner's right & decision) - wont land be so broken up and more restricted against pushes folks will have fewer options and change to sitting vs pushing? I imagine on avg many giant gun groups have to been dissolved because so many owners don't want it. Trend or am I wrong? (Leaving most my opinion on drives out- more talking about present & future & circumstances surrounding).

Not trying to take a particular stand re: party hunting etc, however, I think the comparison of falling out of a treestand or falling through the ice to getting shot by another hunter is a poor one. In one situation, you have a person who has generally set their own circumstances (tree stand hanging +/- harness etc) vs other situations where the judgement of one person causes harm to another. Rarely do you hear of a hunter shooting him/herself. My point is, lets avoid comparing getting shot by another member of a party, or even a long carrying slug, to an individual falling in some manner on their own.

Yet more people die from falling out of a deer stand than being killed by a slug. Hmmm....

Drives were common in Minnesota in the 1980's and 90's. The reason was the season was shorter, now the gun season is 9 days, we see few drives. Plus a few hunters were shot, and that hit home in the small communities.

Iowa will probably see fewer deer drives in the future, I think the reason you do have drives now, is because of the December gun season. Deer are not moving so let's get out, push this timber, warm up a bit...That kind of thinking.

Last edited:
I think pushing in other seasons is legal- just can't swap tags unless I'm mistaken. Whether u like pushing or not (ok, I don't but not the point here)- u all think its a dwindling hunting method in future??? The reason I ask.... Every "land manager" who owns land I know hates it & won't allow it. As land is sold & folks won't allow it (right or wrong, it's the owner's right & decision) - wont land be so broken up and more restricted against pushes folks will have fewer options and change to sitting vs pushing? I imagine on avg many giant gun groups have to been dissolved because so many owners don't want it. Trend or am I wrong? (Leaving most my opinion on drives out- more talking about present & future & circumstances surrounding).

Around my area a lot of the big farmers are the ones involved in pushing deer. A lot of it is because of their work schedule. They don't have time to bow hunt do to harvest. Ya they are what most people call the weekend warriors but most of them are good people who just grew up doing it and enjoy hunting with company. A lot of people on here disagree with shotgun season, it's nothing new.

I think pushing in other seasons is legal- just can't swap tags unless I'm mistaken.
Whether u like pushing or not (ok, I don't but not the point here)- u all think its a dwindling hunting method in future??? The reason I ask.... Every "land manager" who owns land I know hates it & won't allow it. As land is sold & folks won't allow it (right or wrong, it's the owner's right & decision) - wont land be so broken up and more restricted against pushes folks will have fewer options and change to sitting vs pushing? I imagine on avg many giant gun groups have to been dissolved because so many owners don't want it. Trend or am I wrong? (Leaving most my opinion on drives out- more talking about present & future & circumstances surrounding).

You're right on the money. It has happened around our area. My dads group dissolved because no one put in any preseason effort and shot every3.5 or 2.5 they saw. Didn't take long for me or my brother to get rubbed the wrong way after we had a pile of deer that we passed bow hunting laying dead by people who hunt 2 days a year. Surrounding timber being bought and leased also added to the situation. Now its just a couple of my brothers, my dad, my uncle and his daughter and my brothers girlfriend. We sit mornings and evening and push small sloughs during the day to try to get the younger ones a deer. I participate because its more about family time to me and is the only way my dad has time to hunt anymore. Trying to help the old man out and get him his trophy for getting me introduced to the outdoors.

I agree. The way I see it is as deer hunting, especially bow hunting, has grown and grown more properties are being bought and leased primarily for archery. As this continues shotgun groups are going to slowly decline in my opinion. Even more so as the deer pop. dwindles those guys who only hunt a couple days a year will lose interest, also along with so many pro bow hunters out there I think party hunting will continue to be looked down on.

I agree. The way I see it is as deer hunting, especially bow hunting, has grown and grown more properties are being bought and leased primarily for archery. As this continues shotgun groups are going to slowly decline in my opinion. Even more so as the deer pop. dwindles those guys who only hunt a couple days a year will lose interest, also along with so many pro bow hunters out there I think party hunting will continue to be looked down on.

Well thank goodness for leases and declining deer populations. Maybe all shotgunners will just quit hunting so I can get more opportunities to hunt the way i like to hunt, because the way I like to hunt is the only safe and ethical way to hunt.:thrwrck:

People on line love to piss and moan, and this site is not imune to it. All legal hunting is fine if done safely. Proper safety is of the utmost importance pheasant hunting, deer driving, tree stand hunting, etc, etc. If you see people breaking the law report them EVERY time or quit compalining. I have land bordering public ground. My worst tresspassing problems are in the spring with turkey hunters and mushroom hunters. You don't see me on here whining trying to get turkey hunting stopped. I deal with them as it happens.

I can't wait to hear all the wailing and knashing of teeth on here, when crossbows get legalized in bow season, by the holier than thow bow hunters thinking there will be more people going after "their" deer during "their" season.

Keep in mind all of my comments above are coming from a die hard bow hunter who loves to chase and harvest trophy bucks and manage my land to do so. However, I do not begrudge ANYONE of taking deer legally if they get enjoyment out of a different method than me.

Party hunting is a bit ridiculous. Why is it alright for shotgunners to do it but bowhunters and loaders can't?

Also how does a group know how many deer they have shot and killed as they are walking and pushing them? How many times are there more deer than tags?

These are real questions. I'm just curious to see how a group knows when they are spread acrossed a large area and don't get the deer until after the push

Well, it always comes back to ethics and smart hunting. In the group I have gone with, all old high school and college friends. It's more about the experience and seeing the guys than it is about the deer. To be honest, I would be happy if we didn't even go hunting. Everyone that goes now though is a diehard bowhunter. With our group, if you shoot it you tag it. No sharing tags. Also, I know the vast majority of us haven't even got a doe tag. Many will eat their tag if they don't get a chance at a good buck. Others might shoot a last day doe and use their state-wide any sex tag. My group is smart, we know the terrain and where everyone should be. We will breakdown the properties on Friday evening and get the game plan laid out for each property.

Also, back to deer drives with bows. You truly understand how hard and terrible of an idea that might be right? Think how many wounded deer already get hurt during bowseason. One thing I would like to see though is to allow us to bowhunt through shotgun season. I get it from a safety standpoint it is a smart idea, but still.

Well, it always comes back to ethics and smart hunting. In the group I have gone with, all old high school and college friends. It's more about the experience and seeing the guys than it is about the deer. To be honest, I would be happy if we didn't even go hunting. Everyone that goes now though is a diehard bowhunter. With our group, if you shoot it you tag it. No sharing tags. Also, I know the vast majority of us haven't even got a doe tag. Many will eat their tag if they don't get a chance at a good buck. Others might shoot a last day doe and use their state-wide any sex tag. My group is smart, we know the terrain and where everyone should be. We will breakdown the properties on Friday evening and get the game plan laid out for each property.

Also, back to deer drives with bows. You truly understand how hard and terrible of an idea that might be right? Think how many wounded deer already get hurt during bowseason. One thing I would like to see though is to allow us to bowhunt through shotgun season. I get it from a safety standpoint it is a smart idea, but still.

I wasn't talking about pushing with bows but the sharing of tags.. I don't think anyone wants to push with bows

I've heard of people doing very slow, methodical pushes during bow. Basically just trying to get deer up and out of their beds and moving towards a stander.

I personally have no issue with pushing for gun season. It's tradition for many and allows groups to get together and hunt together. What I wouldn't mind see going away is party hunting (tag sharing). I understand why it's allowed, but IMO it would be beneficial to stop it. Many shotgun groups get together and say okay we have X number of tags to fill so they all go out with the purpose of filling those tags. This allows the mentality of shoot everything I can rather than just focus on getting one. I think you would see less accidents as well as less wounded deer if hunters could only fill their own tags. Not to mention what Curtis said was how many times does a party of 5 hunters go out and try to fill 1 or 2 last tags and end up shooting 3 or 4 deer?

I'm not complaining about how it's currently done. I'm fine with it as long as it's done legally. I just think it could be improved.

I've heard of people doing very slow, methodical pushes during bow. Basically just trying to get deer up and out of their beds and moving towards a stander.

I personally have no issue with pushing for gun season. It's tradition for many and allows groups to get together and hunt together. What I wouldn't mind see going away is party hunting (tag sharing). I understand why it's allowed, but IMO it would be beneficial to stop it. Many shotgun groups get together and say okay we have X number of tags to fill so they all go out with the purpose of filling those tags. This allows the mentality of shoot everything I can rather than just focus on getting one. I think you would see less accidents as well as less wounded deer if hunters could only fill their own tags. Not to mention what Curtis said was how many times does a party of 5 hunters go out and try to fill 1 or 2 last tags and end up shooting 3 or 4 deer?

I'm not complaining about how it's currently done. I'm fine with it as long as it's done legally. I just think it could be improved.

I agree with this Lyon. I believe if they take tag sharing away and still allow pushing a lot of the problems would be solved because people would have a completely different mindset when going out.

People on line love to piss and moan, and this site is not imune to it. All legal hunting is fine if done safely.

I agree with the 1st part, part of life and you're right :)
Disagree with second part. I won't allow gun drives on my farm because I do not think they are safe even if orchestrated with that goal. I've had, not one, not two but THREE times in my time in Iowa's gun season having slugs go past me, whizzing by me. No thanks. It is not safe imo when groups shoot at running deer with 10-20 guys scattered all around. I am not going to go into whether it should be outlawed or not BUT - thank goodness I have the right to decide if it is or is not allowed on my land. Obviously it's not. I also think, IMO, it's a horrible management method for folks wanting larger or older bucks on their land but that's not a legality issue at all. But, in a nutshell, just because something is legal, doesn't qualify it as: smart, advisable, safe, effective or often ethical. Many of my friends push deer & we can just disagree as gentlemen about it BUT I sure have my host of reasons for never allowing it on my land. My life could have been snuffed out many times from others quick reactions, adrenaline and large numbers of guys with shotguns.

My food for thought here is that everyone is worried about the safety and how another person could accidentally shoot another person.

However, you are more likely to be killed driving to your hunting spot whether it be for a deer drive or now hunt however we never think twice about that. Along the lines of another person injuring another person is drunk drivers as once again your more likely to be killed by a drunk than a slug.

Life comes down to what people define as safe and feel comfortable partaking in. If you don't like them great, but don't bash the people that do it legally and ethically. You can trash any hunter for illegal actions, and we know there are a ton that so illegal actions bow hunting, but at the end of the day we don't need to be putting more and more restrictions on hunting.

My food for thought here is that everyone is worried about the safety and how another person could accidentally shoot another person.

However, you are more likely to be killed driving to your hunting spot whether it be for a deer drive or now hunt however we never think twice about that. Along the lines of another person injuring another person is drunk drivers as once again your more likely to be killed by a drunk than a slug.

Life comes down to what people define as safe and feel comfortable partaking in. If you don't like them great, but don't bash the people that do it legally and ethically. You can trash any hunter for illegal actions, and we know there are a ton that so illegal actions bow hunting, but at the end of the day we don't need to be putting more and more restrictions on hunting.

Good perspective & post.

However, you are more likely to be killed driving to your hunting spot whether it be for a deer drive or now hunt however we never think twice about that. Along the lines of another person injuring another person is drunk drivers as once again your more likely to be killed by a drunk than a slug. ...

I trust what you wrote is true and accurate, BUT, you did "move the goalposts" a little when you made your comparison. The real equation to examine is whether people who are gun hunting are more likely to be shot when conducting drives or shot when not conducting drives. I am pretty sure we all know the answer to that question.

I am not an "anti-gun" guy or anything, although probably 90% of my deer hunting is via archery methods nowadays. But I cannot remember a time in years of archery hunting where another hunter almost shot me. I CAN remember three separate times though where I heard the whizzing sound of a slug that was far too close to me for comforts sake.

I suppose the argument is you are more likely to get killed driving your car/truck...statistics such as most people get in a car accident within 5 miles of their home. Well, of course, that is because they are usually driving within 5 miles of their home...dumb stat!

I'm with Skip, had a slug zip over my head one year and that... will change your outlook on hunting. Accident or not, a few feet lower and ??

I hit the deck so fast! I'll bet several hunters on here, have heard that unfriendly sound of a slug or bullet whizzz by them.

Geez...Daver you posted about the same time, 3 times that is just crazy!

Last edited:
Top Bottom