Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Close Call/ To Dang Close

scottonbuck

This afternoon after school my youngest son Adrian was hit by a car while crossing the street after getting off the bus. The dept. Transportation director was right there with both of my boys to help them cross the road. He looked and saw cars coming and said whoa or stop but Adrian thought he said go and took one to many steps. This happened literally in my front yard do not ever want any one else to have to go thru this. Fortunately his injuries were not as severe as could have been although he is still in the hospital after surgery on a compound fracture of his lower leg. One step further out and who knows what could of happened. His older brother is pretty up set as he watched it all as well as the Transportation Director. We are all still pretty shook up but just glad it was not more serious. I could not thank the Superintendent, Transportation Dir. and School Principle enough as they came and stayed at the hospital untill the surgery was complete and knew he was going to be all right. That in my eyes meant a lot to me and my family.
I am very blessed and sometimes I take that for granted, and it sucks to see your child hurt or injured and you can do nothing. On a funny note Adrian asked the Dr. to just give him a cool bandage and give him a ride to our house. I got a chuckle out of that. If all goes well he will be out of the hospital in a day or two.

Best wishes!! Tell your son I know what it feels like! Got hit by a van at 3:30 ish in the morning! Going deer hunting/reaching into my truck to get out my bow......whammo! Threw me back into the truck, took my custom made bow 1/2 block down the street, left me knocked out, broken pelvis on one side! Cracked on the other! Local newspaper van!! :mad: Can you say Sue!!:D

I am very sorry to hear of your sons injuries and hospitalization, I am sure it was very scary for your son & family.

Thankfully it sounds like he will recover fine, that is great. That had to be upsetting for all involved!

Shouldn't traffic have been stopped, in both directions, though by virtue of the stop sign on the bus? Did someone blow through a stop sign?

Thankfully it sounds like he will recover fine, that is great. That had to be upsetting for all involved!

Shouldn't traffic have been stopped, in both directions, though by virtue of the stop sign on the bus? Did someone blow through a stop sign?

U would think right, we live across the street from the high school were all the buses meet to unload, load and transfer kids. Unfoutuanetly they allow traffic to go around the buses during this time. SCARY as it sounds as we were all teenagers once and didnt always pay full attention. The School has been trying to get the city to approve to close the street during loading and unloading times or at least make it one way so the traffic can not blindside you coming around the buses. As you know in politics nothing goes fast enough and it takes something serious before they see the light. The Transportation Dir. wanted this changed before the school year opened but it hasn't yet. Even with the help of the adults in crossing the road the inevitable has happened all I hope is some good comes out of this. I had conversations with both the superintendent and Transportation Dir on some possible solutions and The one I came up with for the very least is to have the buses display their lights and stop signs making it unlawful to pass. Sounds simple enough but we will see how things go. I am just happy to still have my little guy.

I am happy you still have your little guy, too! Sound like a tough cookie tho... Hope all turns out well.

I drive a route every day, and your story is our worst nightmare. I've watched a bunch of close calls over the years that could've ended in a horrible story. The kind of thing that keeps a guy up at night...anyway, glad your son is going to be OK.

NWBuck

Lucky kid. One good thing about being young is recovery from injuries is faster then us grown ups. I bet he does good.

Man, this hits home with having 2 boys...very thankful things turned out for the best. Prayed for healing for your boy - guardian angel watching over that little fella!

Glad he is going to be ok!! I know what it feels like to sit in a waiting room while one of your kids is in surgery. My middle son had to have surgery when he was only 17 months old after 2 days in the hospital with abdominal pain. The surgeon looked me and my wife in the eye at midnight on the second day and said " I'm not sure what is wrong in there, but I cannot go home and go to sleep until I figure it out and fix it". So they opened him up at 1am for exploratory surgery and found/fixed the problem (Meckels Diverticulum sp?). Those 2 hours in the waiting room not knowing what was going to happen were the worst of my life so far. They do recover fast when they are young though, my son was running around the hospital the next day with an IV in one arm and a drain through his nose into his stomach:) .....I will be praying for you and your family.

Man, this hits home with having 2 boys...very thankful things turned out for the best. Prayed for healing for your boy - guardian angel watching over that little fella!

That's for sure and I have one of each! And I was in your son's shoes many, many years ago. Unfortunately, it was my fault though, but I reacted quick enough to be ok. I bet I can remember exactly how your son felt. Thoughts and prayers definitely coming your way!

Top Bottom