Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company
I went to buy Volunteer today and my friend at the elevator said to just mow once more and not spray..getting late and frost seeding next year will help push the weeds out through competition.Helped me save about $130 bucks but if it doesn't matter to just mow once more and frost seed I'd rather save the $$ /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Any Thoughts?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: huntyak</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I went to buy Volunteer today and my friend at the elevator said to just mow once more and not spray..getting late and frost seeding next year will help push the weeds out through competition.Helped me save about $130 bucks but if it doesn't matter to just mow once more and frost seed I'd rather save the $$ /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Any Thoughts? </div></div>

That depends entirely on the "weeds", if they are all annuals he is most likely right. Just clip them off and don't worry about it but if they are grasses they will only get worse.

Time will tell... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

In one of my clover plots, some of the leaves on the clover is starting to get a red/brown tint to them. Some of it is newly frost seeded from last winter and some is 3 years old. It is all Ladino. Any idea what thats from. The older stuff isn't nearly as tall as previous years, only mowed it once this year because there were a few weeds showing up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ajadams</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In one of my clover plots, some of the leaves on the clover is starting to get a red/brown tint to them. Some of it is newly frost seeded from last winter and some is 3 years old. It is all Ladino. Any idea what thats from. The older stuff isn't nearly as tall as previous years, only mowed it once this year because there were a few weeds showing up. </div></div>

It's possible there are some mineral deficiencies causing the discoloration although sometimes extreme heat or to little/too much water can cause some minor problems.

Check out this link and then you might consider a soil test to check for any "missing links" /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Mineral Deficiencies in Clover

Pests could be another problem

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Diseases and Insect Pests

White clovers are susceptible to stolon and root rots, both of which can seriously deplete stands. These diseases are more likely to be a problem on less well drained sites. Tolerance to these diseases can be increased by selecting clover varieties that are adapted to the area where they are to be grown. Good management practices that help maintain the vigor of the plant also help increase resistance to these diseases and other stresses.

Potato leafhopper feeding on white clover causes stunting and a reddening-bronzing and browning of the leaves. Spittle bugs can stunt plants and cause a rosetting of the terminal growth. Insects are not likely to cause enough damage to white clover in Kentucky to warrant the use of insecticides

</div></div>

**** Growing White Clover in Kentucky

When trying to create a "BLEND" of clovers (let's forget alf-alfa, chicory, etc for this question) do you see a big benefit with including many varieties of WHITES, let's say Ladino, Alice, Durana, Kopu II COMPARED with just one variety?

Basically, are we just "splitting hairs" here if we did a WHITE CLOVER blend compared with a one-variety white plot OR do you feel from experience and "your gut" that a variety of whites is better than a solid patch of one type of white? Hopefully that's clear enough for what I am trying to ask!?! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

*Side note- I think sometimes, for the sake of "VARIETY" - I have put in inferior seed and less desirable forage just so I feel like I've given them a buffet in one plot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">do you see a big benefit with including many varieties of WHITES, let's say Ladino, Alice, Durana, Kopu II COMPARED with just one variety </div></div>

I have pure plots of Alice and Durana and mixed plots of Alice, Kopu II and Jumbo Ladino and I can tell you this...the deer could care less. They graze them all equally based on forage height and visually watching the deer move from plot to plot.

So why use a mix? I do it sometimes just to safe guard against failure by one or more seed types but in all honesty Alice has never ever failed.

It's one of those things that I do more for the fun of mixing things up then any real need for it. Brassicas are the same thing...one really doesn't need a 1/2 dozen varieties. A good forage rape and a good forage turnip would do the trick.

No harm in the mixes but no great advantage either Skip /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

We've dsicussed the merits of mowing our clover or alfalfa, allowing the grasses to start to regrow before spraying them with Select...but what happens if you spray older brome grass?

It dies... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif
SelectKilledSod.jpg

Not the most sure method but I wanted to try it just to see what would happen. Sure enough it killed it dead as can be. Not suggesting to spray mature grasses but rather just showing off the effectiveness of Select grass herbicide.

This pic is just another plot of clover where I did a portion of it...the line is clearly visable.

Sprayedvsnot.jpg

Good stuff!

The Alice/Kopu II/Jumbo Ladino mix I planted this spring is looking great.

WeltersClover8-01-08.jpg

I'll clip it one more time late this month and then leave it for the deer to do the "clipping"... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Quick Question. I have my clover plot prepped and ready to be planted. Its about 100 ft x 35ft. I bought some Imperial Whitetail Clover for it and my question is, we are suppose to have scattered t-storms this Tuesday and isolated t-storms on friday. But there isn't anything else in the forecast for the next 10 days. Should I plant tomorrow night or wait till we are suppose to have rain in consecutive days? Our opening day is Sept 13. Thanks in advance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Casper16k</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Quick Question. I have my clover plot prepped and ready to be planted. Its about 100 ft x 35ft. I bought some Imperial Whitetail Clover for it and my question is, we are suppose to have scattered t-storms this Tuesday and isolated t-storms on friday. But there isn't anything else in the forecast for the next 10 days. Should I plant tomorrow night or wait till we are suppose to have rain in consecutive days? Our opening day is Sept 13. Thanks in advance. </div></div>

I would go ahead and get it planted and take advantage of moisture that's coming up. If you wait to long..it might be to late.

Hopefully you'll get a rain every week or so to keep it growing. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

If one had the intention of having a great clover stand inside the timber next spring, then from this clover thread it seems that planting brassicas this fall with clover WOULD NOT be ideal as it need to be tilled his spring. Therefore, would one suggest clover with wheat and rye rather than brassicas and is rye able to grow as well in a more shaded area with clover than another option?

Re: Clover - shade

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: huntyak</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If one had the intention of having a great clover stand inside the timber next spring, then from this clover thread it seems that planting brassicas this fall with clover WOULD NOT be ideal as it need to be tilled his spring. Therefore, would one suggest clover with wheat and rye rather than brassicas and is rye able to grow as well in a more shaded area with clover than another option? </div></div>

You are correct...if you want a good stand of white clover that you intend to mow, spray and maintain...then do not plant it with brassicas. If deer don't touch the brassicas it may not be a problem however if they decide to "root" them up late in the season...your new clover may get uprooted as well.

Rye is easier to work with and as the pictures show despite it's tall stature, it breaks down easily and safely allows the clover to survive and then thrive.

Rye is fairly adaptable to light shade but most "crops" we grow for deer do not thrive in shady areas. Clover and rye both need fairly good amounts of sun to do well and amounts of shade vary widely. I do plant rye in a fairly small shaded spot and it does survive but nothing like the open areas.

I would add that brassicas planted in the same spot failed miserably. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Re: Clover - shade

TO MOW or NOT TO MOW?!?!?
I mowed my clover about 2 weeks ago, not really low. Now it hasn't grown a ton AND it's about 10-12" tall. I was either going to mow it this weekend or next OR not mow it at all. The reason I WOULD mow it is to get tender growth. The reason I wouldn't is if you don't think it'd make much difference?!!??! THANKS!

Re: Clover - mowing

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">TO MOW or NOT TO MOW?!?!? </div></div>

I wouldn't mow until we start getting some good rains Skip...clover doesn't like dry weather and were getting a little dry right now.

If we get some good rains this weekend or the forecast is calling for moisture next week then clipping would be ok...otherwise I would wait.

I'm not sure clipping will make white clover that much more tender...red clover is another story, but I tend to think along those lines. I really don't think the deer give a rip...they're not as fussy and finicky as we make them out to be... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

So yes, it's white clover, you think I'd be ok if I let it go and not mow it if I understand you right? I'll take it that it's tender enough as it is and isn't going to make much difference to mow. Thanks much!!!!

I have let mine go as well with the dry weather and all is OK as I sprayed Volunteer (generic Select) on the grass about 2 weeks ago and although dead seem to be acting as shade for my clover. I didn't cut before spraying but still killed it dead. We do have one field that is 100% flowered and appears to have black heads. Even this mature..ok to let go without clipping? Year in year out when is the last time you all feel safe mowing your white clove if at all?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Year in year out when is the last time you all feel safe mowing your white clover if at all?
</div></div>

Established white clover most likely could be mowed late into the fall but red clover shouldn't be mowed within 45 days of a freeze.

I just shoot for late August/early September to allow for growth before season starts. White clover is pretty attractive and tender mowed or not.

I'm just going to clip mine so ALL the deer will be in MY clover rather then Skips... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

My Alice/KopuII/Jumbo Ladino clover mix spring seeded looks awesome! I've had other clover mixes that didn't amount to anything until the second year so I don't know what else a guy could hope for that's not in this mix from Welters...

WelterMix2-1.jpg

WelterMix1.jpg

Look at the leaves on this stuff! Lots of nipped stems so I guess deer like this "off brand" stuff... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

NippedClover-1.jpg

I planted it when I said I was going to. My plot has clover covering the entire thing but they are all small. Its been like this for about a week. It just isnt growing tall and we havent had much rain. Would it help to put some fertilizer on it to help it out or should I just let it go?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Casper16k</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I planted it when I said I was going to. My plot has clover covering the entire thing but they are all small. Its been like this for about a week. It just isnt growing tall and we havent had much rain. Would it help to put some fertilizer on it to help it out or should I just let it go? </div></div>

Clover grows slowly the first year and even more so this time of year. Clover is a cool season plant that also thrives on moisture so give it time and hopefully cool fall weather will get it growing.

Even mature clover slows down in mid summer when things get hot and dry. Fertilizer won't hurt it but I suspect it needs water a whole lot more then food right now. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Top Bottom