Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Cold-rut?

loneranger

since i have been in iowa i have not seen it gettin this cold during the Rut-lock down, or whatever you call it now. How exactly is this Arctic snap supposed to affect deer behavior and movement?

They are going to move a lot is what I expect. Some of my best hunts is when it was in the teens in the morning during the rut.

Wish I had a weeks vacation. I'd be taking it now and using it to kill a buck and then shoot some ducks in the face. And if I didn't kill a buck I'm sure I'd have some memorable days in a treestand. I can't wait to be in stand again because I think it's gonna be rockin.

Why? Action seems to be slowing from last week around me. Cold makes does more hungry? Cold makes bucks more frisky? Why better exactly?

Why? Action seems to be slowing from last week around me. Cold makes does more hungry? Cold makes bucks more frisky? Why better exactly?

On a day like yesterday, go put on your winter coat and everything and see how long you can run before you break a dripping sweat... Do it again when the temps are 40 degrees colder and see how far you can run before taking a break.

On a day like yesterday, go put on your winter coat and everything and see how long you can run before you break a dripping sweat... Do it again when the temps are 40 degrees colder and see how far you can run before taking a break.

This^^^
Bucks are able to keep their bodies cool which means they can stay on their feet longer in the mornings. Wind may still make them hunker down but this cold weather will make the does hit food pretty hard now so daylight movement of bucks should pick up again IMO

Why? It's November 11th and it's rut. Bucks will be moving end of story. Try looking at your glass as half full instead of half empty... Cold weather vs warm weather during rut? Always better. Nov 11 vs Oct 11? Always better. Hunting instead of at work? Always better. Jeesh.

Why? It's November 11th and it's rut. Bucks will be moving end of story. Try looking at your glass as half full instead of half empty... Cold weather vs warm weather during rut? Always better. Nov 11 vs Oct 11? Always better. Hunting instead of at work? Always better. Jeesh.

I like your way of thinking!

Well in my little neck of Iowa I usually have oneweek when I see actvity. That was definately last week. An obvious drop off this week. After the active week it seems deer are scattered all over and not so much on my 40 anymore. Then come Dec when this weather usually hits except for a couple does the deer really leave for proerties unknown so we shall see ?

I'd worry more about the date than the temp. I've seen little noticeable diff in movement when it gets super cold. They move less if anything. However I tHink the date should trump that.

P.s. I checked your weather. You guys don't know cold any more than I know hot. Lol

Last edited:
I'd worry more about the date than the temp. I've seen little noticeable diff in movement when it gets super cold. They move less if anything. However I tHink the date should trump that.

P.s. I checked your weather. You guys don't know cold any more than I know hot. Lol

Ya....what you call/consider to be "super cold" would make life to cease to exist for us mortals! :)

Top Bottom