Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Concealed carry gun?

I have the Keltec P3AT, which is virtually the same gun as the Ruger. It is not the funnest gun in the world to shoot, but I am very accurate with it without the laser. My brother has the ruger with the laser, and he loves it. I carry this gun more than my other pistols, simply for the ease, I throw it in my back pocket and forget about it. I also have a walther p99 and a kimber .45 when I am wanting something bigger, but the keltec gets carried 75% of the time.

I've sold a ton of the little Ruger LCP's. Even started keeping them in stock they sell so well, very nice little gun. Even have one with the Crimson Trace Laser on it straight from the factory. Looking forward to the release of the LC9, slightly larger version but in 9MM.
Small 1911's like some of the Kimbers, Springfields or the Sig1911RCS are very nice but lots more money. It all depends on what you want to spend and how you plan to carry. Accuracy and reliablily should be a factor to consider as well, because if there ever comes a time when you really need it, is saving a few $$ worth betting your life on.

We held a permit training class here at my shop a few weeks ago. Hoped to get 7 or 8 people and ended up with 20! With all the requests i've received, we may just do it again. Contact me if interested.

Very little was changed in the carry law other than making it a "shall issue" instead of a "may issue" and removing the ability of sheriffs to add restrictions to your permit. All the media attention on the issue is backfiring on them, getting lots more people interested in getting their permit. All counties are now issueing record numbers of carry permits, great news for the gun enthusiasts and bad news for the liberals.

I have started carrying a larger selection of popular carry guns to keep up with the demand, anyone interested in one please feel free to PM me for prices or just to chat about options.

The other thing that has changed is that you now allow us Kansans to carry in your state. I always hated coming to see my family in western IA, and having to disarm when I crossed the borded. No longer!!!!!

So what is the protocol here. Buy the gun, go to the class, then get the permit? Or can you go to the class, get the permit, then buy the gun? I seen something about a shooting course tied with it?

I'd go to the class first, then get your permit (which also serves as a permit to acquire) - then you have more knowledge and the proper paperwork needed to purchase a handgun.
No shooting or gun handling required at the class.

It seems a little odd that with a carry permit you can now drive down the road with a shotgun or rifle loaded and uncased,but you cannot drive or ride in a atv or snowmobile.all firearms have to be unloaded and cased.unless a person meets the nonambulatory exception.

Last edited:
And no one sees a problem with this?:confused:

Did you have to shoot your bow or shotgun before you could deer hunt??? I know its kinda comparing apples to oranges but same basic theory. You never had to prove your proficiency with either of those weapons that you fully intended to use and very likely could use them with other people present. Unless off course you count the urban hunts. Like I said I know its not a great comparison so dont jump all over me i dont make the laws but thats the only way I could justify it... it doesnt bother me either way.

I mean I dont know any stats but if I was to guess 95 or more people out of 100 that carry a side arm will NEVER have to use it so it wont matter how good of a shot they are. But if you do any deer, turkey, pheasant, coyote hunting or any other type then you regularly put yourself into a position where guns ARE being fired and accidents can happen but you wouldnt expect people to have to pass a proficiency test to be issued a hunting license, although it might not be a bad idea. To be 100% honest I would feel safer being some place that I knew half of the people were carrying then I would if I was on heavily hunted ground during shotgun season.

Last edited:
It seems a little odd that with a carry permit you can now drive down the road with a shotgun or rifle loaded and uncased,but you cannot drive or ride in a atv or snowmobile.all firearms have to be unloaded and cased.unless a person meets the nonambulatory exception.

Im not 100% positive but according to the guy that did our class you can ride an atv or snowmobile while carrying just not on public grounds. As long as your on private property your good to go. Not sure if it would be legal to carry while snowmobiling on the river or lake or ditches though.

Springfield XDm 9mm. Came new with holster, speed loader, two 19 round clips, clip holster, and 3 different grips. Not too big, not too small. I love it!

Im not 100% positive but according to the guy that did our class you can ride an atv or snowmobile while carrying just not on public grounds. As long as your on private property your good to go. Not sure if it would be legal to carry while snowmobiling on the river or lake or ditches though.

I don't know if there's a difference carrying on private or public but the following link from the DNR doesn't differentiate

http://www.iowafirearmscoalition.com/download/weaponspermitguide.pdf

Also, Did the law change pertaining to carrying in a vehicle? I always thought if you had a permit to carry that you could carry loaded in a vehicle just the same. I don't know, I've never had a permit and don't now. I've always thought about getting one but just haven't.

as far as the shooting provision, i used to think it was a bit ridiculous, since the vast majority of people obtaining permits had gun experience. but now, with the flood of people buying guns, many who do not have alot of gun experience, i think it would be a good idea if people had to prove that they can actually work the gun they plan to carry.

i'm thinking about getting the sig mosquito in 22 to carry. neat little gun

as far as the businesses putting up "no firearms" signs in their stores, i would still carry. since i carry concealed, they would never know. even if they did notice, all they can do is ask u to leave. if you refuse to leave, they can charge u with tresspass.

I can hear my check book screaming now, but I think I am about to drop the hammer on one of these.

Kimber Super Carry Ultra .45 ACP

picture.php

Colt Commander "Lightweight" SS .45

picture.php

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed."
Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution

So what is the protocol here. Buy the gun, go to the class, then get the permit? Or can you go to the class, get the permit, then buy the gun? I seen something about a shooting course tied with it?

If you are a military person or previous military person you don't need the class, all you need is a DD214 take it to the sheriffs office and twoo weeks later come back and you got yourself a permit.

I carry a Taurus TCP .380 I love it small shoots easy and you can conceal it easy.

I carry a full size 1911 in a Crossbreed Supertuck. I would like to get something smaller for the warmer months. Maybe a compact 1911 style. I like the all metal frames and .45 cal.

I can hear my check book screaming now, but I think I am about to drop the hammer on one of these.

Kimber Super Carry Ultra .45 ACP

picture.php

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed."
Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution

Sweet looking gun:way:

Top Bottom