Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Coyote Dogs

I have been having an issue with guys running dogs thru my farms. I called the local (Wayne Co) DNR officer and he pretty much told me there was nothing he could do about it. The dogs were considered private property that had wondered on to my land. The owners were lined up on the gravel road waiting for the dogs and coyotes to get thru my land.
The officer said until the law changes they can keep doing it.

This is bull&$&(;{%^<. I spend way more money than I should on my farms. I should have the right to keep others and there damn dogs off MY land.

How do we get that law changed

2 options:

1. Show the dogs plat maps and get them to read who owns what.
2. End running coyotes with dogs. That's the only way to stop coyote dogs cuz they can run for miles.

Personally, I'd like a few coyote dogs ran thru my place and the coyotes shot, more deer for me in the future instead of them eating fawns and adults over the winter. The deer return to their core areas even if the dogs are running said deer very quickly.

We used to run "coon" dogs, well some liked deer more than coons and it was like a beagle running a rabbit. Just over a much larger area, but they would circle and circle till the dog quit running them or we rolled it with the shock collar.

Are the coyote hunters tearing up your land??

Last edited:
I don't mind the killing of coyotes and I certainly don't blame the dogs. It's the owners that have zero respect for the land owners.

It is a free pass to trespass.

If they asked it wouldn't be an issue. Maybe I'm crying over spilt milk then.

They are hunting my ground without permission. That is trespassing.

They are hunting my ground without permission. That is trespassing.

Are they driving on ur place and tearing it up?? Most coyote hunters I've seen shoot them from the truck off the road when they are running with dogs :D

Not sure how many laws were broke, but its quite a few technically speaking. The only way for coyote hunters to stay within the books IMO is never turn the dogs loose to begin with, or have an area of about 2-4 miles with permission from all the landowners to hunt. Maybe that is easier for them to get in parts of IA, no freaking way can they secure that much ground in one section of MO tho.

We used to run dogs on Sunday afternoons and it was a blast. Always told them never to go on ol' Freds place 3 miles away....but they never listened.

No they are not driving on it or tearing it up. I agree they are probably shooting from the road.

Not much you can do then, I'm not saying that makes it right, but that's how the coyote hunters do it that I used to know.

We used to have quite a few farms we could run the dogs on and patch a hunt together and go into the farms to kill the coyotes. Then big antlers took over and all that went away. No way to run any type of hound now and be 100% legit on every single hunt. Too many unknown landowners, out of state landowners, smaller properties, you name it.

Don't they have to shoot from inside the fences? I thought I read somewhere that maybe down south you don't have to. When are they running them? If nothing else talk to the hunters and notify them that you have snares up for coyotes and beaver and that they should be careful where they're dogs run.

I thought the trap idea also. And I do during the fall and the coon hounds now stay off. I haven't checked regs for trapping seasons.

Maybe this is going to sound terrible so I will say that I am loving dog owner who treats my dog better than I do my wife....BUT you have the right to protect what is yours...if something is doing or attempting to do harm then you are within you right to pull the trigger...I'm not all for the killing of domestic animals so please reframe from tearing into me...but the way I feel is that you should have the right to do with what you want on your land...yes running the coyotes might be beneficial at what point does the trespassing end...just my two cents I guess

Maybe this is going to sound terrible so I will say that I am loving dog owner who treats my dog better than I do my wife....BUT you have the right to protect what is yours...if something is doing or attempting to do harm then you are within you right to pull the trigger...I'm not all for the killing of domestic animals so please reframe from tearing into me...but the way I feel is that you should have the right to do with what you want on your land...yes running the coyotes might be beneficial at what point does the trespassing end...just my two cents I guess

I sure feel sorry for your wife :D So clue me in when your talking about whether or not something is harming or attempting to harm??

At what point does the trespassing end? Who...the people or dogs.

Just trying to feel where your coming from

I don't own my own land but few years ago I was hunting youth season with my son. We heard barking getting closer and closer and soon deer where running everywhere. My son had a previous experience that had him scared of dogs and this situation had him almost in tears. We never saw the dogs but they cleared the woods quickly. We walked out with my son clutched to my waist and checking his backtrail and when we got to the truck there was a guy standing on the running board of his truck with an antena in his hand. I asked him if I could help him and he said, "I can hear'em, their headed back east." I told him that his dogs had ruined our hunt and terrified my son. I asked him if he had permission to run his dogs here and he jumped in his truck and took off after his dogs, unfazed by the encounter.

I'm with you, it doesn't seem right but apparently it is.:confused:

So the dogs are trespassing or people??? I'm confused.

A common practice for those with coyote dogs is to drive the gravel roads after a fresh snow, looking for coyote tracks crossing the road. They then throw their dogs over the fence onto property they: A) don't know who owns 99% of the time, B) probably don't care.

I saw a truck on the south road along my property. I drove down right after they pitched a dog on the neighbors. When I pulled up, they asked if I owned it. Right there, told me they did not know who did.

I asked them to keep their dogs off my property and they got all indignant. Saying they couldn't control where their dogs run. I said, "Of course you can, keep them in the kennel in the back of your truck." ;)

I wanted to pheasant hunt my property that day and didn't care for their dogs to clear things out.

You are allowed to protect what is yours from man or animal...it's the same if someone comes into your home...you are certainly allowed to protect yours from something or someone or some animal that is doing or attempting to do harm...I guess to me it would be enough to protect my property...whether it be with a gun or with a mouth if sure be doing something

Whether or not it's the dogs or the people, trespassing is trespassing...dogs do not have a voice of reason...they do what they are told...so my point is if you allow your dog to trespass on someone's land now then at what point does it end...personally I would never let my dog go into someone else's yard let alone run their land..

Whether or not it's the dogs or the people, trespassing is trespassing...dogs do not have a voice of reason...they do what they are told...so my point is if you allow your dog to trespass on someone's land now then at what point does it end...personally I would never let my dog go into someone else's yard let alone run their land..

Iowa amended the law not too long ago, which protects dogs wearing collars. Most serious coyote hunters have radio collars on their hounds. Shooting one of the dogs is going to bring on legal problems.

Best thing that happened was $4 gas (has dropped a little), low fur prices (crept up as of late) and land being bought for recreational purposes (new landowners wouldn't tolerate their actions). Pretty much shut it down around here.

That's part of the game with running dogs. They will end up places no one has permission. Just the facts of life. I'm not for banning another hunting sport no matter if it ruins MY deer hunt on MY land. Let's face it, that's the only way running dogs will never end up on ur property...if they r all a thing of the past.

I've had stray beagles ruin my hunts, I'm for banning those dang things too!!! :D

Been a few hounds I've known that could be called off a track. By that time they could be on someone's land they r not supposed to be on.

Most do what they want and go where the game goes. Fence or no fence, plat map or no plat map, shock collar or no shock collar. They listen as well as teenage boys do.

Coon dogs and coyote dogs r a different breed of dog. They r bred to search for game and keep searching...not bred to stay in a 20 yard radius till they r told to go farther.

We have a dog problem on my grandpa's farm. The DNR officer said to first call the sheriff to see if he could resolve the problem. If that did not work and the dogs have no collar he said to shoot them as they are considered wild. If the dogs have collars, you cannot shoot them he said.

We talked to the owner many times and she does not care that her dogs run wild through our farm all year long. She has at least tied them up if we call before the day we hunt. It helps a bit but if the dogs run wild for 11 months out of the year it does no good.

You guys do realize that if we legalize the use of dogs to track wounded deer that none of this would be an issue right?
:D
Sorry, couldn't resist!

Top Bottom