Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Coyote Dogs

Obviously Im saying to pull the trigger as the very last straw...i surely dont believe in just shooting someone dogs...but for those of you that do not have a problem with it, its not your land....obviously the OP has an issue with this...and to be honest if it were me i would have an issue as well....its not about what they are doing its about how they are doing it...at this point i would be furious and have to take measures into my own hands...

I don't own land but I do have a dog. I'm gonna side with Lucky13 on this one. What those guys are doing is flat out disrespect.

Respect is a 2 way street.If the owners of the dogs know that you dont want them on your land and they turn them loose to run your land then you should shoot the dogs. Dont feel bad as it is not your fault its the owners fault. The laws of ia do need to change because of todays disrespective people that use the law to their advanatge. Its just like the guy that says I have wounded deer that crossed the fence and has his buddies on the other side of your farm. I know this has happened to me, called the co and he said no blood was needed I was not able to stop them. We should get laws changed so land owners have rights.

Respect is a 2 way street.If the owners of the dogs know that you dont want them on your land and they turn them loose to run your land then you should shoot the dogs. Dont feel bad as it is not your fault its the owners fault. The laws of ia do need to change because of todays disrespective people that use the law to their advanatge. Its just like the guy that says I have wounded deer that crossed the fence and has his buddies on the other side of your farm. I know this has happened to me, called the co and he said no blood was needed I was not able to stop them. We should get laws changed so land owners have rights.

Those laws will not change those type people. Its just a baseline for punishment when they do get caught.

Look at the people trespassing now with, or without dogs, do you really think deep down they don't know what they are doing is wrong? Will they try to skirt laws and play lawyer? Of course they will and will continue to do so no matter what law is put into place. No amount of laws is going to change their intent.

Those laws will not change those type people. Its just a baseline for punishment when they do get caught.

Look at the people trespassing now with, or without dogs, do you really think deep down they don't know what they are doing is wrong? Will they try to skirt laws and play lawyer? Of course they will and will continue to do so no matter what law is put into place. No amount of laws is going to change their intent.

and this is when a little vigilante justice should come into play!:D

I've not said anything yet (I guess I'm about to) but I know there was a bill in the legislature a year or three ago that would have made it illegal to shoot a dog with a collar. Not sure if it passed but it was propossed after a dog was killed by a neighbor without the dog posing a threat. The dog had a collar. Not sure what section of Iowa Code this would be under. Not sure of the specifics of the bill I just remember it being out there.

Back to the original poster best is to try and get along and ask if they can wait til after deer season is over. I try to talk to to most that I know and it seems to help. I also trap a lot and this helps encourage them to keep them out. This is a tradition but probably have to change as the landownership has changed to large areas where no access is granted. This I mostly an issue on Sundays for some reason .

The group that hunt's coyotes with dogs around us has killed 40+ coyotes in our area this winter. That's a lot of saved fawns (and adult deer after this winter we just had) for the inconvenience of having some dogs blister across our property a few times this winter. While I would be quite unhappy if they were doing this in November I could honestly care less if they do it January through March like they do. I say go right ahead and good luck.

It may disturb the deer on our place for a few hours but the upside of having 40+ less coyotes around is worth it.

The group that hunt's coyotes with dogs around us has killed 40+ coyotes in our area this winter. That's a lot of saved fawns (and adult deer after this winter we just had) for the inconvenience of having some dogs blister across our property a few times this winter. While I would be quite unhappy if they were doing this in November I could honestly care less if they do it January through March like they do. I say go right ahead and good luck.

It may disturb the deer on our place for a few hours but the upside of having 40+ less coyotes around is worth it.

This!

As far as shooting dogs with a collar; it may not be illegal but if I ever found out that someone shot one of my dogs wearing a collar, unless they could prove they were attacked (very unlikely), I would likely be the one doing something illegal. :mad:

This! As far as shooting dogs with a collar; it may not be illegal but if I ever found out that someone shot one of my dogs wearing a collar, unless they could prove they were attacked (very unlikely), I would likely be the one doing something illegal. :mad:

I would be angry too, but that's because I wasn't knowingly breaking the laws by turning my dogs out on the road and knowingly sending them into someone's property I don't have permission to be on.

I would be angry too, but that's because I wasn't knowingly breaking the laws by turning my dogs out on the road and knowingly sending them into someone's property I don't have permission to be on.

Nor do I. Mine are bird dogs, but they have been known to run a bit wider than my property even when being watched & if anyone were to impose capital punishment on them for first offense trespassing... Never mind; anything I say at this point might be considered premeditation... :mad:

Nor do I. Mine are bird dogs, but they have been known to run a bit wider than my property even when being watched & if anyone were to impose capital punishment on them for first offense trespassing... Never mind; anything I say at this point might be considered premeditation... :mad:

I think guys are talking about the habitiual offenders. I've had plenty if chances to shoot random dogs but I never have nor do I intend to. Now on the flip side, if I've warned people not to be there and it continued to happen that's where the tipping point could occur.

I'm also with you if someone shot my dog while I was out there, I'm honestly not sure what would happen. I consider him way more than a pet and I would defend him as I would a person.

We aren't talking about first time offenders. Or even 2nd or 3rd. My understanding is this is an ongoing occurrence. And if that's the case, someone would be in the market for a new pup...

I've been fortunate I guess to have courteous neighbors. Had a guy stop by a few times and ask if he can run his coon dogs through my property. I have always given him permission and appreciated his asking.

Never seen coyote dogs here. I would likely give permission if asked. I agree that killing some coyotes is beneficial to the deer population.

I can understand how guys would be upset though about people repeatedly running dogs through their land without permission. I would especially get upset if it ruined a hunt. I will say that I have hunted public land before and had dogs run through and I think it actually benefitted me as it got deer moving around and I saw several deer after they moved through. They may have pushed deer out of my area but then they pushed deer from other areas into the area I was hunting.

There just always is a few bad people who seem to have no regard for people or property or laws. Those people suck and you aren't going to change them.

1. If the land owner shot them how would you know without trespassing to get/find the body?

2. If there is a tracking collar on them, cut them off before/as they cross the road.

3. If the dogs are so disobedient that you can't catch them, they shouldn't be turned out in the 1st place.

It's called respect. Most in the area don't care that our dogs run coyote through them. There are a few that do and we do what we can to prevent the dogs from trespassing. We definitely don't turn them out on a track leading into questionable ground.

You'd be surprised at the number of owners that are upset with this type of hunting but don't say anything because they are told nothing can be done about it.

There are a few that do and we do what we can to prevent the dogs from trespassing. We definitely don't turn them out on a track leading into questionable ground.

Coyote dogs will still end up on questionable ground sooner or later. Sure, you can do your best by turning them loose where you can run them, but no guarantees even then they will not end up on someone's ground that will blow a fuse even tho your intent was good.

Top Bottom