Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Crossbow Hunting.....

My dad shoots a crossbow, and no, he doens't have the range that I have with a compound bow. A few years back, I tore out my shoulder, right before bow season. I got a permit and used a crossbow that archery season. In my opinion, they suck in a stand, big and bulky and are loud as hell when they go off. And, if you don't have your freakin thumb down when you shoot, you will get 8 stitches like I did. I did kill 2 deer with it, but missed a few more than that. I was glad when I healed up and was back to the compound.

Maybe my dad doens't have the right kind of crossbow, but it is a horton, which is supposed to be top of the line and 35 yards is about max on it. After that, the bolt seems to drop at a rapid rate.

Like Iowa1 said, MN is the land of regulation changes. Here is the newest on that went into effect last year:

Deer can be hunted with a crossbow during the firearm season by
individuals possessing a valid firearm deer license. No special license is
required.

Hopefully they don't try and push this through to the archery season.

thanks for finding that Kent, i remember reading that and not responding in fear of giving myself a bad name for being over emotional...... wierd huh....

now i started a post very similar......

but even in that post i still got the feeling that many many hunters consider the X-Bow taboo...... that's where my problem lies....

my only arguement is that we should have the option to use them during late muzz season in iowa as an alternative form of take just as we can use pistols and/or bows..... NOT to begin a season dedicated to xbows.....

anyone can answer this....

which presents more of a challenge, any muzzleloader capable of shooting 100 yards or less (or more) or a X-Bow that is only capable of shooting 50-60 yards ethically????

/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

good conversation so far!

Yea, that was more of a discussion about having cross bows in archery season.

I have no problem what so ever with being able to use them with a muzzy tag or late season doe tag.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THA4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
anyone can answer this....

which presents more of a challenge, any muzzleloader capable of shooting 100 yards or less (or more) or a X-Bow that is only capable of shooting 50-60 yards ethically????

/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

good conversation so far! </div></div>

I don't really want to veer this discussion way off course, but are there actually people that feel that today's muzzleloaders are really a challenge? Guns when setup with the right load are fully capable of shooting 125-150 yards easily and accurately. They probably shoot better than most slug gun setups. Sure you only get one shot(at the time), but does a guy really need more.

How I see xbows is this...

Xbows are heavy, seem to be louder and clumsy in a tree. The only real advantage they hold is that you don't have to draw in the presence of game. More of a point and shoot weapon in my opinion. Their effective range is right about that of a compound. Would or wouldn't I like to see them in archery season? I'm on the fence with it. Simply because of the fact that you don't have to draw in the presence of game. That's the only sticking point with me.

Simply because of the fact that you don't have to draw in the presence of game. That's the only sticking point with me. [/quote]

Agreed!!!

This is the reason why I think they should never be allowed during the regular archery season.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stump Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I don't really want to veer this discussion way off course, but are there actually people that feel that today's muzzleloaders are really a challenge? Guns when setup with the right load are fully capable of shooting 125-150 yards easily and accurately. They probably shoot better than most slug gun setups. Sure you only get one shot(at the time), but does a guy really need more.
</div></div>

I would love to see a traditional ML season. That would tops in my book.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bushman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I would love to see a traditional ML season. That would tops in my book. </div></div>

It probably would be cool for some, but not sure where you'd put in our season structure. Heck....you know of all the guys crying and whining about not being able to use scopes during muzzy season now. Some of the explanations I've read in Outdoor news about the pro scope guys are 100% laughable.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stump Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bushman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I would love to see a traditional ML season. That would tops in my book. </div></div>

It probably would be cool for some, but not sure where you'd put in our season structure. Heck....you know of all the guys crying and whining about not being able to use scopes during muzzy season now. Some of the explanations I've read in Outdoor news about the pro scope guys are 100% laughable. </div></div>

Our whole season structure is laughable. Rifle season dead center in the middle of the rut... That's a whole different issue.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bushman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stump Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bushman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

It probably would be cool for some, but not sure where you'd put in our season structure. Heck....you know of all the guys crying and whining about not being able to use scopes during muzzy season now. Some of the explanations I've read in Outdoor news about the pro scope guys are 100% laughable. </div></div>

Our whole season structure is laughable. Rifle season dead center in the middle of the rut... That's a whole different issue. </div></div>

I guess it depends on how you look at it. We could certainly move the gun season back two weeks, manage for bigger $$..oops I mean bigger bucks :) and then become an Ill, Kansas, IA, Milk River, Buffalo cnty, etc... or stay with the way it is and manage the herd with everyone in mind not just one select group. God knows we have the habitat, genetics and ag land to do it.

But you are right...a whole other issue for another day. ha, ha

CrossBows have a limited range, are not farther shooting than compounds. They do make a tremendous noise, that cannot be silenced. They are bows, slinging arrows, and you have to be close to game. There is a prejudice against them, but just like any subject there are many that see them as just another weapon. Wait until your body gets older, they may not look so bad. I believe the tide is turning in favor of them. The idea of making shooting easier, is in all our equipment, Mechanical releases,High percentage let-off,stabilizers,the list goes on. When I started, if you wanted to pull 50 lbs, you had to pull 50 lbs. The muzzle loaders are the same deal, In-line,,plastic covered Sabots, Powder pellets,,inovations to make things"Easier". You can look at these things as making hunting easier,,you can also look at it as leading to quicker, more humane kills. Changes do come,,and they are not always bad.

My dad shoots a x-bow and I wish he didn't have to , but thats the only way he can bow hunt with me. The range is good about to 40yrds, and they do make a lot of noise. I also feel a bow is a bow and go ahead and put them in archery season!!! Why not? Because you dont have to draw the bow? I don't know about you guys but where, and how I hang my stands the deer never see me draw. From scopes on muzzle loaders, to let offs on bows, and property you will never hunt or see a lot of you sure complain about your fellow sportsmen. The best thing any of us can do is buy the best gear you can afford, do your homework and get out there and kill that deer you want.

my dad turned 71 in may and tore his shoulder up, and went out and purchased a x- bow, i shot it, the accuracy was unreal at 50 yrds.i am opposed of a x- bow season, they should only be allowed for hanicaped hunters.they might as well open a rifle season if they are going to kick around the idea of a x-bow season.my opinion only,but , if you cant buy a reagular bow and spend time practicing so you feel you can humanly kill an animal, theres a problem. its a sport that requires practice like every other & you should respect the game your hunting to do so.i feel opening new seasons with higher technology takes the sport out of it and is a lazy mans way out.i shoot a 20yr old ben pearson with nothing on it but a stablizer bar and a arrow rest with puffballs on the strings & shoot just great, i tried all these new sights& stuff , just never benifited me.eye instinct only.i bought my son a newer hoyt, cams and arrows ,but have taught him to shoot without the other gadgets, and seems to be doing fine.i plan on taking my first buck with a recurve this fall that a man makes from adel ia., cant wait to give that a try.whats everyone elses opinion on opening different seasons?seems to me , were making it easier for the hunter, & not the hunted. wheres the sporting chance?

Well maybe we should all hunt next season wearing only one boot, and no camo, or sents, and forget about foodplots because who wants to shoot a deer that we can predict is going to walk by. I just dont see people even with a rifle going hogwild, I've hunted out of state with a rifle and to see good deer you still have to hunt where they are, so I scouted and set up with 100 yard shot and got my deer, guys I went with sat and watched wide open spaces and guess how many they shot? (0), Plus if I buy my tag and shoot my deer guess what? Im done. Also how many deer does anyone think they are going to shoot off my property? (none) It's time we start helping all hunters of all ages and quit trying to control more than ourselves. To each be his own on what weapon they want to use, and how big a deer they shoot, buck or doe. There's way to many deer out there, we need to stop complaining or the nonhunting public will soon have us where they want us. Just my thoughts, thanks guys.

I don't want to make anyone mad, but I have tried some top crossbows, and 50 yrds is way to far a shot. Bolts tend to drop alot as they are short and heavy. The safe killing range is the same as any bow.

I beg to differ with anyone but crossbows are NOT bows in the sense of what an "archery" season is intended for. In the sport of archery, the projectile (arrow) is given flight by the release of energy from the act of manually drawing and holding the string against the tension of the limbs of the weapon (bow) and releasing it. Keyword here; Manually. Sorry to sound pompous but thats the truth, thus a crossbow has no place in an archery season anymore than a rifle, shotgun or muzzleloader does. I doubt even for their disabled friends, that any diehard archery hunter would be ok with sharing their season with someone packing a gun. For anyone concerned about their interests in archery, this should be universally accepted. With that being said, I fully support all forms of hunting, including the right of someone, disabled or not, to hunt with a crossbow in a seperate season established for them. The use of the LM season for a hodge podge of more primitive or shorter range weapons seems perfectly acceptable to me. I'm saying that with a smirk because I just bought a new S&W 460 XVR that will be going to the woods with me next December!

ridgerunners.
good points made, i agree with scents, - food plots- yes , they will help establish antler growth, my point was not to have a seperate x-bow season for everyone- just handicapped would be fine.the seperate rifle season would spook me, cause as you know Iowa is primarly flat unless your down south, and someone would take shots at over 100 yrds not knowing where their bullet will end up.just a safty issue for me i guess. hows the hunters prayer go---
other hunters oft unseen, lerk behind the leafy screen. calm & steady always be, never shoot where you cant see. you may kill, or you may miss, but at all times remember this: all the whitetails ever bred, wont replace for one man dead.
some hunters may not be as cautious as you. you are right, we have to many deer and they need thinned out, one option is to allow each resident two deer, the first being a doe.for each tag they purchase. ex- if you get a bow tag, 2 deer, one being a doe. same with shot gun. after one yr, check the deer heard, go from there.
respectfully, ibowbigbucks.

score guy,
i agree on most points, if a hunter is hanicapped, and wanted to shoot a x-bow, during our season, i can live with that, but not another seperate season. with youth season starting late september, we are hunting deer 4 1/2 monthes , thats enough pressure i feel.i dont know , but what states allow x-bow seasons? the average hunter like ourselves will never use them unless we become hadicapped, if they do it , put it late january, or february,by then, ill be snuggled next to my tv and my quest will already be done.theres a guy i know that lives in Adel ia, that raises his own trees, and makes long bows, and recurves how you want them, if you are iterested, send me a private message, and ill give you his name- & number. you will be amazed of what the product outcome is.
happy hunting

Top Bottom