Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

CRP type programs with Short Crop History?!?!

Sligh1

Administrator
Staff member
Howdy Fellas- so I'm usually really up on these programs BUT I have a unique circumstance with my new farm.... A lot of it has only 2 years of crop history now. That limits the CRP sign-ups... They generally want to see a ROTATION- say C/B/M/M/M/M/C/B for example AND they of course have certain years they want crop history- which changes every so often. OK- so there's CP-33 buffer strips, I am going to ask again about that BUT I recall I need a rotation of some type I "THINK" for that as well.(????). Then, there's the BIOMASS program, just sent a friend a message on that as he has some in. Anyone know if that program is still an option? Basically, paying you to plant and harvest switchgrass. Crop history needed there???

BASICALLY.... I wanna put as much of my farm in NWSG's of ANY type and I have the major snag of only having 2 years of crop history (previously over-run with those beastly, no good cows :) ) Of course those beasts got the boot and they can go destroy someone else's land now. SO- anyone know of ANY program out there, any CRP, ANYTHING!!!??!?!? ANY program to get ANY type of NWSG's planted at a rental rate? I'm going to stop by NRCS later but thought I'd ask and see if you have any insight or advice there??? Thanks!!

*Thankfully I do have 66 acres of CRP I am re-seeding to good stuff and 34 poor quality acres I'm getting REAP wildlife cover funding for. So, 100 acres going in asap BUT I wanna put another 100-200 acres in.

I was recently told at my county NRCS office to qualify for many of the current CRP programs the land has to have a cropping or grazing history 4 out of the last 6 years. Continuous CRP is much easier to qualify for rather than the general CRP signup. If you have a stream on your farm with potential endangered/threatened species living there or near there like the topeka shiner or some of the native mussels, that can get you major brownie points for CRP. BIOMASS program had emphasis in SE Iowa for the switchgrass; not sure if the USDA is still promoting this anymore. They have a similar program in NW Iowa with corn stover and the federal gov't has not been paying the agreed prices.

Crp

Skip: You can get land that borders a creek or drainage into a riparian buffer. However, without cropping history, the payment is not very good.
Sometimes under $100 an acre.

Personally, I would consider farming the ground for 2 more years , then you should have 4 out of 6...correct?

I actually foresee some nice CRP programs available down the road, the reason why, states such as Iowa, MN, ND, SD and Nebraska have all lost thousands of CRP acres.

What will probably happen is the groups like Ducks Unlimited and Pheasant Forever will get some continuous CRP plans with fairly high payments, good cost share, and easy qualifications to substitute for some of those lost acres.

Might want to be patient and see what happens?

Well, a $100 an acre is not great in Iowa when cash rents are well over that. I do know of some CRP that is pushing $225 to $260 an acre in Iowa!

I believe the 4 out of 6 years of cropping history has to be years 2002 through 2007 and not 4 out of the last 6 years. Does anyone know for sure about the buffer strips along creeks? i would like to seed some down but dont have the 4 out of 6 years of cropping history. Whats the actual name of the programs and requirerments?

The only program I can see you might get some ground in is riparian buffer for pasture land (as hardwood mentions) Riparian buffer on crop land pays top rental rates but the last I knew it only pays $85 an acre for pasture, however that may be the ground you already have signed up Skip?

Most Continuous CRP programs require cropping history much farther back in years then the General CRP so most buffers etc may not be allowed where there is no extensive cropping history.

There is a long list of possible and links in the Conservation Cost Share thread in Dbltree's Corner for others curious about this subject.

If you do come up with anything we have been missing Skip, please comment in that thread as it would certainly be helpful to others.

The ground I have signed up for now was previously from pastured land. I'm thinking the previous owner signed up about 7-8 years ago, it's roughly like $5k-ish for 66 acres so that makes sense around that $85 mark. I am cropping away and if I have to be patient, I will. In the next month, I am going to stop in to my NRCS office and go over everything and any ideas possible. I'll report back if i find anything worth while. Thanks much! I'll read up on above Dbltree Conservation cost share.

Bring this back to the top...

I think the new farm bill will allow CRP (without the 4 of 6 -or 3 of 5 crop history). That is good news for you guys looking to get some CRP in on parts of your farm...

More information should be out soon

I think the new farm bill will allow CRP (without the 4 of 6 -or 3 of 5 crop history). That is good news for you guys looking to get some CRP in on parts of your farm...

I like the sound of this. So ground being hayed now could be enrolled?

Stuff "without a crop history" so the way it sounds hay ground would be fine, pasture, etc. What understand so far is there's a big push for native grass plantings in Iowa, MN, NE, etc. So, things that can be converted to native grass stands are potential sign ups of new farm bill CRP

Skip,
If you talk to NRCS about new farm bill and lack of crop history, would love to know if this is true. Does anyone know if you have claimed ground as foodplot, does that qualify as crop history.?

Skip,
I just got a letter from the FSA saying that my REAP money was available. I put 40 acres of timber in and in big red bold letters it said no money available. I got about 1/3 of what I was told I would get money wise. Came to like 2400 bucks to do 40 acres. Now what to do????

I too want to sign up about 50 acres and want to go into CRP. I have ground wth slopes and it was alfalfa hay and prior to that there were cows there. I plan on starting the process in the next few weeks.

Last edited:
I think they (FSA) are just getting details to the program...I checked out Pheasants Forever website and they have some information. I am not sure how they are going to treat pasture and former food plots. I hope they accept that!!

Hardwood or anyone, have you found any other information on this option?

Well, a $100 an acre is not great in Iowa when cash rents are well over that. I do know of some CRP that is pushing $225 to $260 an acre in Iowa!

I thinks some the "wetland" programs for fields in bottoms are paying on the high end of this range or higher.

Crop history is still required from what I have heard. I wish they would look 2 or last 3 years or something in that nature. Pasture options. Bottom line is we need more habitat right now.

There are some pheasant and quail CRP programs that offer high payments, and the wetland programs are always popular.

CRP is great just cross your ts and make sure it is what you want for cover.If you could put shrub plots in them it would really be good.The riparian along a water source is easiest to get in.The CP33 is good for up to 120 feet around border of ag field then you have continuous

I just got approved to plant trees and shrubs, up to 10 percent of my CP-33 because I planted it in 2011 and it was allowed back then. Just talk to your NRCS rep to update your plan. If you are wanting cost share they will have to get approval from the FSA rather than just updating your plan.

Top Bottom