Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

CRP type programs with Short Crop History?!?!

I stopped in a week ago. Nothing on the radar in the office BUT often that depends on who you talk to (knowledge level and willingness to dig). At that point, they said "try back in 4-5 more months. "OK" I said. I had asked about Continuous CRP programs too but I did not get a solid answer there.... SO.... That's possibly an opportunity for folks. Sure wasn't clear at my office, I'd do some checking on continuous CPR sign up's, if they have any, details, etc. Historically, they pay better and more flexible. If anyone stops by some offices, fire back on Continous CRP sign ups.
Sure would love it if we offered the BIOMASS program again. Take any pasture and put into that! Doubtful with gas prices but hopefully we see something like that again.

I just enrolled 55 acres in 3 different programs. Have some going in pollinator(cp42), highly erodible, and cp38 and 33. All were continuous programs.

One of my best friends owns a habitat management company in MN. He will draw up the CRP plans and maximize every acre. He does all the paperwork in exchange for getting the CRP and habitat work.

Is there a guy in Southern Iowa that does this? If not, big opportunity because I actually think CRP will be on the rise again down there with the low corn prices.

If your ground is highly erodible you can also enroll in CRP without any specific crop history. Ground on slopes, runoff from other farms, etc.

HEL...highly erodible land. Has a new cropping history of being farmed 4 of last 6 years. They have to check records for slope and erodibilty rating to qualify. I have seen it pay off between $150-$300 per acre depending on the rating. They are currently out of acres and they have no idea when/if more will be available. This is in Iowa.

I am looking at putting 10 acres in a CRP type program and my local NRCS office said I would qualify for "CP9 Shallow Water Area for Wildlife" or the "Continuous CRP" program and both are 10 year minimum enrollments. The continuous CRP program sign up isnt until June plus I have to qualify and see where I "rank" whether I can get it or not. The CP9 I can enroll in today and cost share the wetland cost and seed, but he is going to get back to me on an offer of how much $$ per acre it will pay. I like the CP9 Shallow Water Program for the way my land lies EXCEPT I cant plant ANY food plots on it.

Here is the link for the Shallow Water Area for Wildlife

http://www.iowadnr.gov/IDNRSearchResults.aspx?q=Shallow water program

Does anyone have experience or advice with this?

Are you sure there is no cropping history required??

What is the name of the program?

Thanks

I said specific, but there is a cropping history. With traditional CRP programs you have to have like 10 years of rotation C-B-C-C-B-C-B-etc. maybe a year in there of alfalfa.

In our case our land was alfalfa for probably 10 years with a year in there where the farmer planted beans in prep for the next alfalfa crop. Our whole property is highly erodible so when we applied 3 years ago it was no questions asked.

I don't believe there is a whole lot of programs out there that don't require 4 out of 6 years of crop in history. I think the current 4 out of 6 years would have to follow between 2007-2012!!

I am looking at putting 10 acres in a CRP type program and my local NRCS office said I would qualify for "CP9 Shallow Water Area for Wildlife" or the "Continuous CRP" program and both are 10 year minimum enrollments. The continuous CRP program sign up isnt until June plus I have to qualify and see where I "rank" whether I can get it or not. The CP9 I can enroll in today and cost share the wetland cost and seed, but he is going to get back to me on an offer of how much $$ per acre it will pay. I like the CP9 Shallow Water Program for the way my land lies EXCEPT I cant plant ANY food plots on it.

Here is the link for the Shallow Water Area for Wildlife

http://www.iowadnr.gov/IDNRSearchResults.aspx?q=Shallow water program

Does anyone have experience or advice with this?

You dont have to enlist all of the ten acres. You wont get paid for it but it allows you to keep out what you want for food plots. The HEL program does not allow food plots either. I kept 5 acres out for the purpose of plots.

You dont have to enlist all of the ten acres. You wont get paid for it but it allows you to keep out what you want for food plots. The HEL program does not allow food plots either. I kept 5 acres out for the purpose of plots.

That is what I've decided to do, also keep an area out to plant a tree screen along the road.

Top Bottom