Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

CW From The Stand

Could keep updating to much action! Around 5:10- I grunted and snort wheezed and a small 2.5 year old came running in. I take my eyes off him then look back where he was and I look through the Binos and think man I missed a lot of his antlers. Then realized it was a different buck. A dandy 8 pt that I believe to be 3.5. they walked on a string straight to the decoy and the 8pt starts snort wheezing at it and then they continue passed.
5:25- the 2.5 year old shows back up but on the inside of the fence and begins posturing at the decoy while the 3.5 year old shows up behind me and continues to snort wheeze.
5:30-Two more bucks fighting to the south west of me. The 2.5 year old goes to check them out but the 8pt stays behind me under 15 yards the entire time.
5:45-the three bucks to the south west come into the standing beans one is the 2.5 year old from before then another 2.5 year old. Then the third I thought was a 140" 4.5 year old from what I could see with it getting too dark.
5:50-the three bucks in front of me continue to the north. 130" 8pt still behind me at 5 yards
6:00- two new bucks fighting to the southwest one looked like a dandy. After the fight one went south the other went north
6:10-2 bucks working scrapes to the south. A doe and a fawn come out into beans one buck follows the other disappears. Buck that followed doe chases a little and then leaves looked like a good buck too.
6:30-finally get the does to exit field. I pick up decoy and begin walking home. Halfway home I decide I need to pull my headlamp out just because I had a weird feeling. I turn it on and am met with eyes coming towards me. It's a buck, I yell and he continues to come I yell again and tap on the decoy and he turns around and trots away. 15 yards later he is there waiting for me again.. I yell and he heads up the hill. I kept seeing him turn around and watch me. Eventually made it home though.

What an awesome hunt!!!

Guess you need to dismantle the decoy. He must have thought it just had a weird shaped growth on it's side! Sounds like you're getting a lot of action. Wish I had bucks running to my rattling, grunting, etc. Must do it wrong, or I hunt non-aggressive bucks!

Hopefully the big one comes out tonight.. He was at my other stand this morning.

2:30- set up and ready to go.

At a different property tonight. Have high hopes for this property as its produced the most mature buck pics hopefully one is still around

4:30-could here bucks fighting to the west so I grunted hoping when they finished one would come this way.
4:32- 2.5 year old came in from the east
4:35-little spike came in from the south
4:38 both just left. Bring on the big bucks

As I'm typing the two bucks are coming back

Left the house around 1:30 to put a buddy stand up for the kid I'm mentoring. As we put it up he says buck and there was right downwind of us.
2:14- got the stand hung and are settled in
2:17- buddy says buck, big buck. Real old nine point comes running in to the decoy. Stops behind a branch so the kid can't get a shot finally steps into the clearing. He draws waits for the wind to settle releases right as the wind hits.. Looked like a shoulder shot. Hopefully he got enough penetration. Arrow was in as the buck ran away

Decided to back out till 10 in the morning.. When in doubt pull out.. We found good blood.. So I'm hoping we got him his first buck and first bow deer. I'm going to hunt in the morning while I wait for him to get off work

Any update? Hope it's not the classic no news is bad news that happens sometimes with the stories of a questionable hit. Hoping things turned out well for you guys!

Any update? Hope it's not the classic no news is bad news that happens sometimes with the stories of a questionable hit. Hoping things turned out well for you guys!

We found the arrow 75 yards from where the deer was shot. Had 10" of blood on the arrow. Had an awesome blood trail through the beans and to a creek prolly 200 yards from the shot. We lost blood at where he crossed the creek but eventually found it again. Not as much as there was before. We tracked for about another 30 yards and found a bed that had some blood in it and a couple clots. After that we lost blood so we Grid searched the remaining timber with no prevail then searched the timber across the road with no luck. With the amount of blood we found I believe the deer should be dead but no idea where he could have went

Wow what a hunt tonight. Finally had action from the time I got in to the stand til I got down didn't even have time to update on here had 9 different bucks and 6 does. They were constantly on the move around me. Never seen chasing like this before also had a younger buck doe'd up in the bean field then they moved to a fenceline. Out of the 9 bucks only one was mature and I only saw him for a few seconds until he disappeared again other than that the biggest was a 120" 3.5 year old 8pt

Last night I got home and saw what appeared to be a nice buck with a doe in the cornfield behind our house and I new with the wind that I could put a pretty good stalk on the buck. So I got my bow and got dressed and began the stalk. I get up to the powerlines the deer were under and started making my way to the next pole since the farmer leaves a bunch of grass around them. I get to it and begin scanning with the bino's and find the buck that was how bedded. I ranged him at 40 yards but waited until he stood up. While waiting I continued to observe him and begin to think his right side looked funny when he turned his head. After about five minutes he stood up and I could see why it looked funny. His G2 and G3 were broke off. So right away he got a pass. Would have been a dandy 8 if he would have had the tines.

Fast forward to tonight. Today I got out of class at 2 and decided to take a quick stop for a bite to eat. Ended up taking an hour then my brother needed to stop and grab something at Walmart. By the time we left Walmart it was 3:30 and now I'm getting ansy. So what do you know I get a flat tire on a gravel road. Only took us 12 minutes to change with the jack Chevy provides. Which we thought was fast. So we get home around 4:15 and I say what the heck I'll sneak down into my favorite stand and sit.

4:30ish- I get in the stand
4:47- just noticed a big bodied deer jump the fence. It's a buck! Big Buck! I get the bino's up and knew the deer right away. It was a buck I call the fat 10 because he was a fat 3.5 year old last year.
4:50- son of a... He only has one antler. Looked like he shed it or broke it off really close to the pedicle.
4:55- he's back this time chasing a doe with a young buck
5:00- here come two more young bucks
5:03-two more bucks joined the chase

Ended seeing 6 bucks and the hot doe. One of my best sits of the year and I was only in the stand an hour. First real chase I've ever witnessed too.

Went out last night nothing too exciting saw an awesome buck with two does across the road. From the property I was hunting on my way there.

Went out tonight.
3:00-got in the stand
4:30-doe just popped out hopefully something comes out behind her and they make their way towards me.
4:32-shooter buck just popped out won't score much but he's mature and I'll shoot him if given the chance

4:50- they ran across the field
5:00-another buck. Shooter again! Dang it half rack buck. 15 yards.. Looks like it was shed not broken. Maybe the other one will pop off in front of me

5:07-heard the fence rattle something should be coming
5:10- good looking young 8 point. He'll be a dandy in a couple years. Two more does entered the standing beans.

Top Bottom