Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Decoy delima

SWIABOONER

PMA Member
Okay here's the deal, I was planning on buying two DSD hen decoys this month, upright hen and feeding hen, to go along with my King strut decoy, well after seeing the DSD strutter I really want one of those too but don't have the money for all three. What would you guys recommend? Staying with my current strutter and pick up the two hen dekes or use my current hen dekes and pick up a DSD strutter? Thanks for the help

I faced the same delima. I went with the 2 hens. I figured there are times I won't and don't want to use a strutter anyway.

Not sure what you have for hens currently, but I would probably keep your strutter and buy the DSD hens.

I have a buckwing bobble head and an upright not sure of brand but a cheapy. I'm leaning this way just wanted to hear if anyone had strong feeling the other way.

Not to cause a stir here, but I will have to say that I would buy the strutter and scrap the hens all together. I know that some of you guys are all about making it look like you have a flock of turkeys in front of you, but all I use is my strutter (mounted) and he works flawlessly. When I started using him I would always put a couple of hens with him and the gobblers would run right passed them to get to Earl (decoys name). So I quit using the hens all together (less to carry). Last year he accounted for 17 gobblers from Wyoming, Oklahoma, Iowa, and Michigan with no hens present. Just something to think about, as if you weren't confused enough already! :D

Not to cause a stir here, but I will have to say that I would buy the strutter and scrap the hens all together. I know that some of you guys are all about making it look like you have a flock of turkeys in front of you, but all I use is my strutter (mounted) and he works flawlessly. When I started using him I would always put a couple of hens with him and the gobblers would run right passed them to get to Earl (decoys name). So I quit using the hens all together (less to carry). Last year he accounted for 17 gobblers from Wyoming, Oklahoma, Iowa, and Michigan with no hens present. Just something to think about, as if you weren't confused enough already! :D

Well I will confuse you even more. :drink1:

I would keep your strutter and buy the hen and the jake.

Way more success with the jake then any other decoy.
I will go against the grain here and say the strutter is way overrated. :rolleyes:

Well I will confuse you even more. :drink1:

I would keep your strutter and buy the hen and the jake.

Way more success with the jake then any other decoy.
I will go against the grain here and say the strutter is way overrated. :rolleyes:

:D I say just scrap what Risto and I say and go hunt with LIMB, he's prolly got enough decoys for a small army! :way:

Honestly, could you even get the DSD strutter before season starts if you ordered now? Me personally, I picked up the jake, upright and feeder this spring. Watch craigslist!! I kept my peep n tom if I need a strutter.

I am not out there to kill the biggest baddes bird in the block. If a 2 year old with a descent beard comes in, I am shooting with my bow. I have a lot of birds I would of shot stray away from my strutter. I am hoping the Jake seals the deal.

Liv you are probably right, I more than likely won't be able to get one before this season. I think I'll stay with the two hens and my king strut for this year and maybe next year, I'll get the strutter. Thanks for the input guys.

They had a sale on the DSD web sight last year around xmas 20% off......just something to keep in mind.

Dedgeez do you ever have toms shy away from your strutter? I've owned a couple different strutters and have had way more shy away than come in. Actually I think I've only seen 2 birds commit to the strutter. Do you use him all year long? For me a strutter has worked decent later in the season. I love hunting over strutters but I opted for the flock of DSD's. We'll see how this season goes.

2yrs ago I religiously used a strutter (Peep-N-Tom). I think he looked pretty darn real. I had around 30 toms that I could have killed with a gun and never released an arrow. They would skirt me at 30-75yds every single time. I just don't feel confident with a strutter anymore. I will probably try him with the dsd flock this year. I'm interested to see which decoy they will commit too.

Last edited:
That is why I bought the DSD Jake. I don't wait for a mature 4.5 year old plus bird before I shoot. I do know a few guys that pass up toms all the time trying to find one that fits the bill but not me when bowhunting. I want any legal bird to come into range. I have had quite a few shy away from my peep n tom as well. Could of killed many with a gun though.

I am hoping the DSD jake will bring them in. I have tried many jakes over the years and really havent had any luck but I had never used a half strut one and never combined it with a strutting 360.

2yrs ago I religiously used a strutter (Peep-N-Tom). I think he looked pretty darn real. I had around 30 toms that I could have killed with a gun and never released an arrow. They would skirt me at 30-75yds every single time. I just don't feel confident with a strutter anymore. I will probably try him with the dsd flock this year. I'm interested to see which decoy they will commit too.

Wow! That's crazy. I have more Toms come in to a strutter the any other decoy i have. I'll tell you right now that movement on your strutter is like gold! When a tom is looking at your stutter and you can get him to move like he is strutting, well the tom is DEAD!!!! :way:

Wow! That's crazy. I have more Toms come in to a strutter the any other decoy i have. I'll tell you right now that movement on your strutter is like gold! When a tom is looking at your stutter and you can get him to move like he is strutting, well the tom is DEAD!!!! :way:

It got to the point it was funny well not really. My tom was on a struttn 360 every sit. I couldn't figure it out. I'd sit in the timber on a ridge and they'd skirt me on the field edge. I'd sit in the field and they'd skirt inside the timber or way out in the open.

Me too also had jakes come into my strutter.

Top Bottom