Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

DEER DECOYS?????

B

bowhuntinfool

Are deer decoys illegal to use in the state out Iowa and how good are they to use? any info would be appreciated.
thanks BOWHUNTINFOOL
tongue.gif

thank you for the great site, anymore tips on decoys would be greatly appreciated
tongue.gif

I own a decoy. I feel that they are great to use. I have had great results by using them. I have had deer come in from 200 yrds all the way to 15 yards and stand they looking at the decoy. The only minus on decoys are that they are kinda a pain to carry out to the treestand but well worth the hall. So if you don't mind lugging one out to the stand i would recomment one.

i just went to scheels and bought the new carry-lite decoy it was the best looking one they had, but the most expensive. i wonder if i could get a water-proof cover for it and then after i'm done using it, put it in the bag and leave it by my treestand maybe get a camo one so it wont get stolen!!!
smile.gif

I bought a redi-doe decoy a few years back and have used it sparingly.I try to use it just before the bucks start chasing the does. The last 2 years it has brought deer to it every time I set it out. It has only brought in 2 smallish bucks though. The does come up to it stomping and huffing and puffing. They always act a little angry towards the decoy. I set it out only once a week and always put it in a different area. I have shot one doe using the decoy and really enjoy using it as a change of pace every so often.

when the does came up to your decoy were they really loud, loud enought to scare all the deer away from you?
confused.gif

I've never used a decoy and was wondering if there is a specific time that a buck or doe decoy works better. I will be hunting in Iowa the last week of October. Is that a good time to use one or the other decoys? Thanks for any info.

That's just it... You never know for certain how a deer will react to the decoy. I'd use a doe in the 3rd week of Oct. 101 ways to use them with 101 results form each setup! no wonder its interesting. Be ready for some to spook when they see it. Make it visible from a good distance. So they commit to the decoy rather than your calling,only to be spooked when they spot it.
I see in Cabela's they have a cloth 2 dementional dacoy that has a metal band in it like some blinds do. Great to carry, to bad it is so much $, 80- some bucks!

Deer decoys are legal in Iowa and have become very popular the past 5 years or so.

Here is a good article we found on using deer decoys.

HunterSpec.com

The 1998 buck on my website came over 300 yards to my decoy. I had it 20 yards into a bean field. I have the redi - doe and drilled a hole in the tail and hang a sent wick from it. On this particular buck I had really doped up the sent wick until it was dripping wet and hopped in my tree stand. I saw him across the field with two does and started to grunt. He looked over and saw the decoy. After destroying a sapling he took one last look put his nose to the ground ears back and was doin the mean walk all the way in. He got down wind of that sent wick and his eyes rolled back into his head, started drooling and his tongue was almost draggin the ground (reminds me of my high school days). I damn near started to laugh out loud. Any way after he stood there about a foot from it he started to walk around it at that point he received a 2315 tipped with a 125 TH throgh the lungs.

Since then, believe it or not, I have used it only two other times. It is a pain to take out to the stand but I am really going to make an effort to use it this year in addition to my DB Blind and see what happens. I think it will be great to be able to set the decoy out infront of the blind and be able to rattle away in the blind. We shall see...
grin.gif

Overall I think they add a different dimension to bowhunting. It is a way to add a visual element to calling and I really enjoy calling, whether it be waterfowl, turkeys or deer. So I guess for me they are like turkey decoys in some situations they are the bugs ear and in others you don't need em. Good Luck!

bowhuntinfool, In my experiences when the does come in to the decoy they always seem to stomp their feet first, then bob their heads back and forth and then snort. The snorts dont seem to be as loud as when you jump them in the dark. They can see the decoy so I assume they are just trying to get a reaction from it. The noise doesnt seem to bother other deer. One buck was lagging behind a group of does that where at the decoy and he came right on in even after they snorted around and left.

I hunt a farm that one other guy has permission to hunt and it's by far my best spot. I don't actually hunt with the other guy but we talk on occasion. He is a busy man with a tight schedule, so he doesn't hunt all that often, once a week tops. He uses a decoy all of the time no matter what the conditions, and sits in the same stand no matter what the conditions. He usually kills a deer or two but I can tell you one thing, it doesn't take the deer long to figure it out. He'll come to me and say "Man those deer just won't come in like they did 3 weeks ago" I don't have the heart to tell him that when the deer step out into the field they look at each other and say "Oh, Mrs. Carry-lite is out here again tonight" My advice would be to mix it up, and play the wind. I'm sure most people wouldn't do as this man does but he kills deer and he's happy, although his kills are usually yearling does and button bucks. Decoys work.
Pupster

For you guys that are unhappy carrying your decoys to the timber, try the Montana Decoy "scout" was talking about. It is a 2D decoy that is made a very liflike image of a whitetail on a weatherproof poly blend cloth material. It is very liflike in the timber and is much easier to use than a 3D decoy. The 2D decoy will work as good if not better than the 3D because the deer has a tendancy to "lose" it when it circles it. And with a litte wind the ears will move a little to give it soem lifelike motion. It keeps their attention longer. There are two models of whitetails, one is a side view for fields, etc. and one is a rear view which is designed for timber or trails. The rear view is a little les money.

if you dont like carrying your decoy to your stand and back to the truck, carry it to your stand and buy, or make a waterproof bag and stick it in their and hide in by your stand in a lil ditch or something so it wont be noticable, and then you dont have to carry it back and forth everytime u want to use it.
tongue.gif

GREAT ADVERTISING PARKER MAN, CANT WAIT TO PUT IT UP AGAINST MY CARRYLITE WITH TAILWAGGER THIS FALL AND MAY THE BEST DECOY WIN---- REMEMBER POSSESSION IS 90 PERCENT OF THE GAME---ILL TRY THE 2D, MAYBE I SHOULD GET A COUPLE MORE---THE GEAR GUY

Hey M350---You never responded in the longbeard conference. When I said I should communicate another way, I meant other than this public website. I don't know how else to get a hold of you if you really wanted to hear the story.

hey m-350 what are u talking about your carrylight with tailwager ??? is their a kit that u can buy or something?

THE TAIL WAGGER IS A SIMPLE MOTOR AND BATTERY PACK THAT REQUIRE A HOLE TO BE DRILLED IN THE BACK END OF A SOLID DECOY. THE TAIL IS FOAM AND FLICKS EVERY 8 OR 16 SECONDS---IT IS DEADLY. I CANT EVEN BEGIN TO TELL YOU HOW MANY TIMES THE TAIL MOVEMENT MAKES ME THINK TWICE ABOUT REALISM. THEY COST ABOUT 50 BUCKS. I BELEIVE WWW.TAILWAGGER.COM MAY GET YOU THERE.. MY STORY IS, AS A SALESMAN, I TRY TO NEVER PAY RETAIL ON HUNTING SUPPLYS-THATS MY ANGLE TO PROMOTING A PRODUCT. I HAD TO PAY FULL PRICE FOR THIS ITEM AND I LOVE IT---BUT HAVE VOWED NOT TO PROMOTE IT TO FULL EXTENT...SO MUCH FOR THAT THEORY OOOPS.
THE STORYS I HAVE TO TELL ABOUT THIS PRODUCT ARE ENDLESS, AND NEEDLESS TO SAY I LOVE IT..MOTION CAN BE ADDED TO THE DECOY IN MANY WAYS, BUT THIS IS THE MOST SIMPLE....M350 OUT
grin.gif

Top Bottom