Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Dermestid Beetles

180class

Anybody on here know much about these things? I was looking to possibly order some to do a European mount on my shotgun buck this year. I've always just done it the hard way by boiling the skull, but it sounds like the beetles are much easier. How many beetles does it take to do a deer skull? Does anybody have any of these that they would be willing to sell me?

Be carefull if you have mounts around. I've heard these thigs can do a number on a shoulder mount if they get loose.

All the websites I look at, keep saying "to build a population" I don't want to raise these things as pets, I just want to buy a couple hundred of them for a one time job. Is it necessary for me to buy the starter, or colony kits? Can't I just buy the full grown beetles that I need?

I have a small museum by me that keeps a tank going. I've talked to the guy several times I don't think they live long and they can't take the cold at all surprising they don't smell.

I can see it now. You will have bugs running all over your house. $200 later in pest control you will be thinking, man boiling was much easier! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

That's the one thing that scares me Derek, is that somehow a few will get out in my house and I'll wake up some morning with half a leg.

If you want to just have it done commercially I can give you the name of a fella that has a large colony. His skulls are awesome when done. He is southeast of LaCrosse Wi.

AGS

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 180class</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All the websites I look at, keep saying "to build a population" I don't want to raise these things as pets, I just want to buy a couple hundred of them for a one time job. Is it necessary for me to buy the starter, or colony kits? Can't I just buy the full grown beetles that I need? </div></div>

The bugs are big time sensitive! You have to keep them at a certain temp and humidity % for them to survive at all. From what I've heard, if it gets too warm the bugs will morph(whatever it's called) and grow wings. Then you have issues! ha, ha You also have to make sure their tank is cleaned regularly. I'd pay the cash to have someone who already has a colony do it.

For some reason I think Rackaddict did this thing a few years back. He might be able to fill you in on some details as well. Search here a few years back....I bet there is alot of info.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Xtec Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> From what I've heard, if it gets too warm the bugs will morph(whatever it's called) and grow wings. Then you have issues!</div></div>

Well, that just sealed the deal for me. Thanks! I think I may just do it the old fashioned way and boil the skull.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rudd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For some reason I think Rackaddict did this thing a few years back. He might be able to fill you in on some details as well. Search here a few years back....I bet there is alot of info. </div></div>

Rudd is right, Rackaddict had a colony of them. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I had a guy about 4 hours away from me was trying to build a colony. I gave him one of my heads and it took a long time for it to get done. His colony took a long time to get big enough to take care of the thing.

Funny story though is he said freeze the head solid and wrap it in plastic bags and ship it postal service priority. I freeze it up triple bag it and put it in a computer monitor box and mail it. Problem was that the box was getting tossed around and the rack punched a couple small holes in the bags. (I should have covered them up)
The guy gets to the post office to pick the box up and the lady puts it on the counter as he signs for it. In one of the corners of the box theres a small amount of blood ozzing out. The lady looks at the box, looks at him and says " I dont want to know just get that the hell out of here".

Lucky it was a small post office!!!

Don

if anyone wants to know anything about them, I had them for a couple years. Beleive me, not worth the hassle for just 2-3 or even 20 skulls a year.

There's a guy that is at the Cassic every year that does this full time.

http://www.Lucky7skullworks.com I have had him do 8 skulls for me now and does a excellent job.

Boiling does ruin your skull, no matter what people say. look at a beetle cleaned and a boiled one and you decide.

Well, that just sealed the deal for me. Thanks! I think I may just do it the old fashioned way and boil the skull. [/quote]

If you want to wait till spring there is a real easy method. Unlike boiling it won't damage the skull. Just put the head in a container and fill up just enough to come up to the bases of the antlers. Wait a week and empty and refill with new water. Do this about three times and hose off with water. It will look alittle pink but will turn white when dry. Also for a real white finish you can apply the strong peroxide. I've done a hog head and one deer and they turned out perfect. If there is a odor just mix 50/50 clear ammonia and water and soak a week or two.

I had a huge colony going until January's ice storm left us without power for nine days. Cold = dead beetles.

Here's my thought on Dermestid Beetles.

I WILL NEVER AGAIN AS LONG AS I LIVE EVER HAVE ANOTHER COLONY OF DERMESTID BEETLES! THEY ARE A PAIN IN THE REAR!!! I WOULD RATHER EAT THE ROTTING MEAT OFF THE HEAD MYSELF AS EVER HAVE ANOTHER COLONY OF THOSE FICKLE, STINKING, HIGH MAINTENANCE BUGS!! I'M GLAD THEY'RE DEAD!!!!!!!!!

I feel better now. Thanks.

Are they really that bad? /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif We were going to give them a try on some bucks we found....just might try the water method or the trusty boiling.

Top Bottom