Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

DNR Layoffs

Making it public land, yeah everyone would jump on that trade off??? There is no requirement or obligation to allow residents to hunt, that is the choice of each individual landowner. Why would anyone pay big money to buy a farm to make it into public land? Not sure where you are going with that.
There is no requirement or obligation to allow NR landowners to hunt bucks every year either. That was the regulations when you purchased your land and will be for a long time to come. My point is the NR landowner does hurt deer hunting for residents. You are no exception. Be happy with what you've got and shoot your trophy buck every year in Minnesota!

There is no requirement or obligation to allow NR landowners to hunt bucks every year either. That was the regulations when you purchased your land and will be for a long time to come. My point is the NR landowner does hurt deer hunting for residents. You are no exception. Be happy with what you've got and shoot your trophy buck every year in Minnesota!

Yep fine, and I will shoot one in MN for you too...! I am sure you have traveled outside of Iowa and hurt a residents (hunting and fishing) somewhere too.

That is not what I was saying...you seriously cannot even discuss this issue, without 10 guys piling on and acting like we are sitting on the door of the capitol trying to change the law. It is just a discussion forum.
And discussing we are

Yep fine, and I will shoot one in MN for you too...! I am sure you have traveled outside of Iowa and hurt a residents (hunting and fishing) somewhere too.
Couldnt we just go to MN and shoot one ourselves.................. every year?

You have been apposed to this rule and argued your side on this topic for many years without change. Just curious why you wouldn't sell the farm and buy in another state with more hunting opportunity? Obviously something is keeping you around? Maybe it's just the hopes someday you will get your way? I totally get your side of the argument but why continue to deal with it? Is the hunting really that great on your farm? You already mentioned you could sell the farm and get more acres in a neighboring state that allows more hunting opportunity. I would think it's a no brainer if you truly wanted a buck tag every year. What keeps you around?

Couldnt we just go to MN and shoot one ourselves.................. every year?

You have been apposed to this rule and argued your side on this topic for many years without change. Just curious why you wouldn't sell the farm and buy in another state with more hunting opportunity? Obviously something is keeping you around? Maybe it's just the hopes someday you will get your way? I totally get your side of the argument but why continue to deal with it? Is the hunting really that great on your farm? You already mentioned you could sell the farm and get more acres in a neighboring state that allows more hunting opportunity. I would think it's a no brainer if you truly wanted a buck tag every year. What keeps you around?

Yes you can go to MN every year and shoot a buck, and catch a limit of 6 walleye daily (if you want)...what keeps me around in IA....$$$, done well buying and selling.

Yes you can go to MN every year and shoot a buck, and catch a limit of 6 walleye daily (if you want)...what keeps me around in IA....$$$, done well buying and selling.
So, if they change it to give landowners preference then you can cash in? NR will be lining up to buy Iowa hunting ground. I understand now!

No need to shoot one for me. I can kill 3 every year! It's one thing to hunt out of state. It's a completely different thing to buy up the hunting ground out of state and throw up "No Hunting" signs!

Been coming to Iowa for a long time and have not met one resident who doesn't welcome me or NR landowners. In fact they cannot believe a landowner can't get a tag to hunt property they put thousands into. The very few on this sight are the detractors. The flavor of this thread is why the site died. See you in the fall, and next fall, and the fall after that.

So, if they change it to give landowners preference then you can cash in? NR will be lining up to buy Iowa hunting ground. I understand now!

No I'd keep it. No you don't understand.

Just dumb that more deer die from EHD than hunting... if nothing else get some low cost doe tags, avoid the January rifle season.

for a long time and have not met one resident who doesn't welcome me or NR landowners. In fact they cannot believe a landowner can't get a tag to hunt property they put thousands into. The very few on this sight are the detractors. The flavor of this thread is why the site died. See you in the fall, and next fall, and the fall after that.
I don't know what you are talking about. You can hunt does every year. And they are bigger than your Pennsylvania bucks!
Been coming to Iowa for a long time and have not met one resident who doesn't welcome me or NR landowners. In fact they cannot believe a landowner can't get a tag to hunt property they put thousands into. The very few on this sight are the detractors. The flavor of this thread is why the site died. See you in the fall, and next fall, and the fall after that.
And has anybody thanked you for everything you do as a NR landowner in our fine state?

Actually my resident neighbors. I keep my place in shape and practice good management. The resident neighbor who hunts my property really appreciates it. Thanks for asking.

Do you hate the residents that buy up ground to hunt and put up "no hunting signs"? Or is it just the non residents that bother you? The biggest landowners next to my place are residents, and guess what, they don't give access to anyone they don't know either.

The very few on this sight are the detractors. The flavor of this thread is why the site died. See you in the fall, and next fall, and the fall after that.
It appears to me the flavor of this thread brought the site back to life. Haven't seen this much convo in a while. Good luck this fall and the next fall and the fall after that.

To the NRLO's... think if the roles were reversed, would you still be all for NRLO's getting to hunt every year?

The way the regs are now is what makes IA so desirable to hunt. You open it up and IA will soon be no different than any other state. Obviously no firearms during the rut is huge, but as far as access goes and rec land prices IA will soon only be available to those with even deeper pockets.

Open it up to NR's and rec ground prices will go up even more, leases will be more prevelant and higher in price, access for residents will continue to diminish.

Unless a resident owns land currently and is looking to sell or lease or does not care about deer there is no benefit to the residents of IA to allow more access to NR's.

To the NRLO's... think if the roles were reversed, would you still be all for NRLO's getting to hunt every year?

The way the regs are now is what makes IA so desirable to hunt. You open it up and IA will soon be no different than any other state. Obviously no firearms during the rut is huge, but as far as access goes and rec land prices IA will soon only be available to those with even deeper pockets.

Open it up to NR's and rec ground prices will go up even more, leases will be more prevelant and higher in price, access for residents will continue to diminish.

Unless a resident owns land currently and is looking to sell or lease or does not care about deer there is no benefit to the residents of IA to allow more access to NR's.

I'm a NRLO and I'm surprised that the resident hunters on here think they speak for the majority of the residents of Iowa. I think if a bill was presented to the public( everyone in Iowa) and voted on that they would be in favor of increasing NR/NRLO licensing. It would help with the deer management, pump lots of money into the local businesses , increase their land values and bring much needed money to the DNR($600 each tag) Most Iowans would think this sounds pretty good I would bet

I'm a NRLO and I'm surprised that the resident hunters on here think they speak for the majority of the residents of Iowa. I think if a bill was presented to the public( everyone in Iowa) and voted on that they would be in favor of increasing NR/NRLO licensing. It would help with the deer management, pump lots of money into the local businesses , increase their land values and bring much needed money to the DNR($600 each tag) Most Iowans would think this sounds pretty good I would bet
It wouldn't surprise if a bill like that passed. About 6-7% of Iowans are hunters. Not all of those are anti-NR, so the numbers shrink. General population might be looking for a perceived revenue bump and would only look at the issue superficially.

It wouldn't surprise if a bill like that passed. About 6-7% of Iowans are hunters. Not all of those are anti-NR, so the numbers shrink. General population might be looking for a perceived revenue bump and would only look at the issue superficially.
Wouldn't surprise me either and sadly that is probably where this is headed.

There's those words "deer management" again. If any NRLOs are truly concerned with deer management send me a pm. I can help you with it. Always gets brought up as part of the debate. Concerned about deer management? Im all for giving NRLOs doe tags every year so they can "manage" their farm. Shooting a buck off a farm every year has nothing to do with "deer management".

How about this for an idea (Bowtech)?.....$350 package license allows a NR landowner with 80 acres or more to buy up 3 antlerless tags (in counties with antlerless quota). One turkey tag, small game to hunt pheasants, fishing.... ?

Top Bottom