Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

DNR Layoffs

How about this for an idea (Bowtech)?.....$350 package license allows a NR landowner with 80 acres or more to buy up 3 antlerless tags (in counties with antlerless quota). One turkey tag, small game to hunt pheasants, fishing.... ?
My family and I just got back from a wks vacation at a resort in Mn. The lake we were on had a lot of northern. The 4 of us probably caught @ 300 for the wk. We also did well on walleye! I wonder what the residents of the area would think if we wanted to pay 350$ to be able to keep 9 northern and 18 walleyes (3 times the limit)?
It's funny how some are never happy! In the end it all boils down to $ and wanting more!
There are several here on this site plus in several of the clubs in this state that have donated quite a bit of $ and time to keep this state the way that it is. I'm not against any Nrlo but like I have said before I'm raising 3 boys and want them to be able to enjoy what my father got to watch me enjoy growing up as a young boy. There is a reason I just paid 60 $ as a non resident (and family) to fish in you state for 6 days. Maybe some should spend more time working on the laws (rifles, guns during the rut, nr tags) in their own state to improve what they have to offer!
If we want to have a good quality conversation on where to begin as far as who to contact and your best routes to do that I'm sure you could get some quality feedback from some of us who went through the right channels to keep it the way it is in our state!

It wouldn't surprise if a bill like that passed. About 6-7% of Iowans are hunters. Not all of those are anti-NR, so the numbers shrink. General population might be looking for a perceived revenue bump and would only look at the issue superficially.

Why would you oppose it?

My family and I just got back from a wks vacation at a resort in Mn. The lake we were on had a lot of northern. The 4 of us probably caught @ 300 for the wk. We also did well on walleye! I wonder what the residents of the area would think if we wanted to pay 350$ to be able to keep 9 northern and 18 walleyes (3 times the limit)?
It's funny how some are never happy! In the end it all boils down to $ and wanting more!
There are several here on this site plus in several of the clubs in this state that have donated quite a bit of $ and time to keep this state the way that it is. I'm not against any Nrlo but like I have said before I'm raising 3 boys and want them to be able to enjoy what my father got to watch me enjoy growing up as a young boy. There is a reason I just paid 60 $ as a non resident (and family) to fish in you state for 6 days. Maybe some should spend more time working on the laws (rifles, guns during the rut, nr tags) in their own state to improve what they have to offer!
If we want to have a good quality conversation on where to begin as far as who to contact and your best routes to do that I'm sure you could get some quality feedback from some of us who went through the right channels to keep it the way it is in our state!

This comparison does not add up?

Did you have to wait 3 years to fish in Minnesota? I suppose we could limit the number of NR fisherman in MN, so that we have better fishing ourselves in MN? You can get the same limit as we do as residents, for less than $100 correct? I mean seriously how can you make that argument. That is a total steal to fish in our state for that price.

My neighbor on the lake is from Iowa, I don't expect him to let locals use his cabin and dock just because he bought in MN.

Thank you for coming to our state, we appreciate the tourism!

Did you have to wait 3 years to fish in Minnesota? I suppose we could limit the number of NR fisherman in MN, so that we have better fishing ourselves in MN? You can get the same limit as we do as residents, for less than $100 correct? I mean seriously how can you make that argument. That is a total steal to fish in our state for that price.

My neighbor on the lake is from Iowa, I don't expect him to let locals use his cabin and dock just because he bought in MN.

Could I get a resident fishing license if I owned land along a lake in Minnesota, but lived in Iowa?

Your right it don't ad up! I feel it a privilege to be able to go to your state and fish, I also respect the laws that are established in your state! (We kept 4 good eater 16 in walleyes on the last night to eat) As you mentioned earlier in one of your other post that you have bought and sold several farms, good for you, it's great that some can afford to buy land a few hundred miles away and be able to do that! So if you want to make that comparison, how are the residents in Iowa going to be able to afford, let alone find places to hunt when well accomplished land traders from out of state come in and start buying up more land? Like you said why would your neighbor let locals use his dock. I understand why you wouldn't want the locals to use your land. You know as well as the rest of us know what would happen if we made it easier for a nr to acquire an any sex deer tag. Like I said, get together with the right group of people to improve your hunting in your own state. If it's such an issue why don't you sell and move to the state of your choice where you can get that 350$ package to shoot deer, pheasants and catch fish! Sounds like the best option, unless it is truly the $ you are wanting to make if they opened up the NR any sex tags. You know, the whole thing of supply and demand. We all know what would happen and you could come out eating high on the hog!! As an invester from miles and miles away trying to make big on an investment getting more nr tags is a great way to go about it!

How about this for an idea (Bowtech)?.....$350 package license allows a NR landowner with 80 acres or more to buy up 3 antlerless tags (in counties with antlerless quota). One turkey tag, small game to hunt pheasants, fishing.... ?

Sounds fair.
I don't know what the answer is but from my point of view (resident) I see no good (from a hunting standpoint) coming from buck tags every year to NRLOs. Maybe I'm just selfish and protective of what I have but in my eyes that would open the state up and things would never be the same.

I honestly have nothing against NRs. I don't even remember the last time I've seen one deer hunting in my area. A few used to come around and hunt pheasants when we had a good population but I've never had a bad experience with one. Leasing and buying rec ground are pretty much unheard of in my area so I don't think it would even effect me half as much as residents from the "big buck counties".

On the other side of the coin, what good is it going to do for resident hunters? I honestly can't think of anything to justify the risk of exploiting the state to the NR. I understand other states do it and it seems unfair that an Iowa resident can go hunt any neighboring state every year with little or no wait but that's a great perk for being an Iowa resident. i would rather have great/good deer hunting oppurtunties for all Iowa residents than mediocre deer hunting for everybody.

Sure the state would make more money but it would just mean more money for them to piss away.

Some Statistics --- As accurate of information as I could find

MN Woodland 32%
MN Deer harvested 173,213 Success Rate 28.6%
MN Total Licenses 604,404
MN Non Resident Licenses 14,602 – Percentage 2.4%

Iowa woodland 8.3%
IA Deer harvested 105,401 Success Rate 31%
IA Total Licenses 339,366
IA Non-Resident Licenses 6,053 – Percentage 1.8%

KS woodland 10%
KS Deer harvested 100,000 Success Rate 47.6%
KS Total Licenses 210,000
KS Non Resident Licenses 22018 -Percentage 10.4%

WI Woodland 46%
WI Deer harvested 309,829 Success Rate 31.8%
WI Total Licenses 972,488
WI Non Resident Licenses Can’t find

IL Woodland 12%
IL Deer harvested 155229 Success Rate 28.9%
IL Total Licenses 536,337
IL Non Resident Licenses 40,907 - Percentage 7.09%

I hear there's some land available in KS for NR

Glad you caught fish 4DAbucks

Two things:

1--doe tags should be available to all landowners regardless or R and NR, in adequate numbers based on DNR population goals---and at a fair price to ensure management. That is management philosophy 101.

2--4 years to wait to archery hunt land you own land is a long time. (keep in mind it was 1-2 year wait when I first bought land in Iowa, and I could get an archery doe tag every year--so things have changed since I bought land in Iowa)

That is all I can say, and I understand the opposition, just be nice to find a happy medium in there somewhere.

I'm like Hardwoood11 and have been hunting in Iowa long enough to see the rules/licenses change against the NR/NRLO. It's too bad that we can't seem to have a meaningful discussion about NR/NRLO on this site. I'm not going to let a few of you on this site diminish the fine relationships I've made with my neighbors and people I do business with in Iowa. I spend a lot of time and money in Iowa and most people I have met I like and they like me. That's one of the main reasons I like to hunt Iowa. Oh, and there are some big bucks too!

There is a happy medium! Go buy land elsewhere.

Two things:

1--doe tags should be available to all landowners regardless or R and NR, in adequate numbers based on DNR population goals---and at a fair price to ensure management. That is management philosophy 101.

2--4 years to wait to archery hunt land you own land is a long time. (keep in mind it was 1-2 year wait when I first bought land in Iowa, and I could get an archery doe tag every year--so things have changed since I bought land in Iowa)

That is all I can say, and I understand the opposition, just be nice to find a happy medium in there somewhere.

All of this makes me laugh.
If you don't like how it is sell your land and make a nice profit. Buy land that has the options you are asking for. It's pretty simple.
There are alot of residents like I've said before that donate alot of $ and time to defend what our dnr has done for us. When you get time look up a guy by the name of Willie Suchy. Read what he did for us iowa resident hunters (iowa whitetail deer in general). As residents we couldn't ask for anything better than what he accomplished before his untimely illness. As a firm believer and member of the IBA for the last 25 + yrs I got to listen to and watch what it was that my father donated to as a member and also what it was at that particular time the IBA was trying to defend as a bow hunter in our state.
When I talk about doing what you can in your own state I'm gonna talk about a prime example. My grandpa used to own a cabin on mil lacs lake. I spent many summers up there as a kid. Walleye fishing was absolutely out of this world. I couldnt wait to spend opener out in the boat waiting for midnight to come so we could start fishing! Now today as a resident or nr you can't even keep an eye. Wtf.
With that being said why would anyone here in our state want any changes to the laws we have in place right now. It's simple, I'm not against you by no means, but I sure as hell don't want what's going on in the states @ me.

There is a big difference between hating all NR and not want NRLO to get preference over NR. Hear what you want I guess, this site turning liberal?

Two things:

There's a happy medium to all this........Sell your land in Iowa and buy else where. Nothing is going to change anytime soon, and you're surely not going to have the support of any locals or many Iowan's for that fact. I live down here in Osceola, I spend my money in this town, I support this town. You come here because you bought ground as an investment and to shoot a bigger deer than you would in any other state. If you don't like the rules, move; if you don't like the regulations, go buy in anther state that has more liberal rules and see how things go. You have done nothing but flood this site over the past year with garbage and I'm sure many other like me are sick of hearing you complain about how rough you have it. You wanna see rough, spend more than a week at a time down here in God's country and you'll see what living in Clarke County, Iowa is all about.

Buy a lifetime Minnesota license and move to Iowa. At least you have that option. If I want to hunt our dairy in Minnesota as a NRLO it would cost me way more than 385$ for all the tags you ask for in your bundle. And that's for Minnesota, so why would the best state for whitetail deer offer such a cheap option? I think all should be glad they have a draw and all have equal chance at a tag. Just think if they took all available tags and left them up for sale to the highest bidder? They would still sell out. And no average guy could ever get one. The reason it's a 3-4 year wait for a buck and it's referred to as a "golden ticket" or a tag of a lifetime is because of the systems in place. I'm sorry a small handful of us selfish guys on this site disagree, actually I'm not, but " Iowa First"

Become a resident if you feel so deeply about it ? Wanna watch men turn to babies get a deer and strap a set of huge antlers on it
giphy.gif

This whole thread makes me shake my head and laugh. A couple NRLO's come on iowawhitetail.com where the vast majority of members of the site or residents, have lived here their whole life, several were NR's but made the decision to move here to be a resident, but a few NRLO's come on here and just keep proposing this or that and the regs need to change so I can hunt my land that I live a few hundred or hundreds of miles away from and contribute very little to to the state in the big scheme things, need to change so I can hunt a buck every year? I would never buy land in another state, that I spend very little time in, and then go on a hunting site and debate with the current residents about why the regulations in their state need to change to benefit myself when it is clear that doing so is going to offer no advantages to them.

IOWA IS A TOP END DEER STATE BECAUSE OF HOW THE REGS ARE NOW. End of story.

Hardwood, I like most of your posts and your contribute a lot of good stuff to the site and are very knowledgable, but there is no way I will ever agree with you on more benefits for NR's and NRLO's. Dont take this personal, just this subject I completely disagree.

It seems like some of you may be suffering from memory loss. Wasn't it not to many years ago that the law makers of Iowa thought a late season doe/shed buck rifle massacre would be a good idea? The regs are always changing so why is it so wrong for a NR/NRLO to express his opinion on some changes? I'm working on trying to talk Hardwood into moving to Iowa with me, become residents and Hawkeyes fans, then start a tv show and do some guiding for all of our buddies back in MN

I have always said Iowa's system is far from perfect but it does work. My beliefs in rights of property ownership far out weigh my concerns for Deer management but , make no mistake any change to the current regulations will only have negative consequences to the future of big deer in Iowa.
This is the last great state in the U.S. And I for sure want to protect the resource. If this gets messed up like IL ,KS or all the rest I will sell out on this and give up on deer hunting and go either to Alaska or Africa and start again there ,both spots are cool and I have great connections there. To say I am not concerned with long term policy would be a gross understatement.

Top Bottom