Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Does anyone else cringe during this??

I know a lot of guys disagree with the antlerless season. I am fortunate enough to have a breat family owned farm to hunt on. I mainly hunt it just during bow season. The family caretakker of the property has a group of guys who hunt the rifle antlerless season each year. I got there tally for there weekend kill fest and they shot 8 does and 2 shed bucks. I know its 100 percent leagal but man I cringe every year about this and have a good feeling that the 2 shed bucks were both hit list bucks for next year. I guess alls a guy can do is hope something new moves in and go from there. I really wish they would put a end to this season!!

I agree with you. Its a shame how many bucks get taken in the antlerless season, and how many are mature or have great potential? We won't know. I feel like its doing far more harm to Iowa's reputation of holding monster deer, than good.

Just posted on a different thread 10 mins ago. Just from 2 cams, I am now thinking 5-8 different shed bucks but not 100% sure which are duplicate bucks. No way they will get shot off my land. I hope they stay on there though. I'm more fortunate, like above, to have my own land but I feel horrible for the everyday hunter who hunts by permission or doesn't own land to keep this from happening. Let's say this deer runs by at 150 yards, sorry - it's toast most of the time. What a waste and what a shame.

picture.php

picture.php

I know a lot of guys disagree with the antlerless season. I am fortunate enough to have a breat family owned farm to hunt on. I mainly hunt it just during bow season. The family caretakker of the property has a group of guys who hunt the rifle antlerless season each year. I got there tally for there weekend kill fest and they shot 8 does and 2 shed bucks. I know its 100 percent leagal but man I cringe every year about this and have a good feeling that the 2 shed bucks were both hit list bucks for next year. I guess alls a guy can do is hope something new moves in and go from there. I really wish they would put a end to this season!!

Do you rent the ground to the care taker? Just curious.

As a NR we have some bad timing of seasons (MN) but every season is over by Dec 31. I think Iowa should be the same, and a rifle season, not smart!!

Interestingly, I used this very scenario last night teaching the wildlife management/ID section of a Hunter's Ed class here in Flagstaff. When I brought up the late antlerless hunt and how many shed bucks get taken every year, the looks were priceless. Even some 10-14 year old kids understood why that type of management is dumb.

Makes me cringe as well not just because of shed bucks being harvested but also because of more antlerless deer being harvested that frankly in many many places is just unnessary. The season was designed to bring people to southern iowa where numbers of deer use to be heavy and hunting pressure was minimum to bring deer population down well most would agree numbers are down way down this season needs to be elimated for next year its just not needed. You want to shoot deer with a high power go to missouri or go north I'm sure they will gladly accept your nr tag money

OK...devil's advocate as I do every year. Wait a month, or even two, and watch the shed hunting forum for how many guys are complaining about how 75% of the bucks in their area are "still packing". Happens every year. My guess is that some people who hunt the late rifle season might have something to say about a bow season that runs in excess of 2 months, and how many of the county antlerless tags get filled with button bucks during the archery and shotgun seasons. Just so there's no mistaking it...I'm primarily a bowhunter, and have never bought a late season antlerless tag, but my feeling is if it's a legal season, and the hunters have permission, get over it and move on!!

NWBuck

Just posted on a different thread 10 mins ago. Just from 2 cams, I am now thinking 5-8 different shed bucks but not 100% sure which are duplicate bucks. No way they will get shot off my land. I hope they stay on there though. I'm more fortunate, like above, to have my own land but I feel horrible for the everyday hunter who hunts by permission or doesn't own land to keep this from happening. Let's say this deer runs by at 150 yards, sorry - it's toast most of the time. What a waste and what a shame.

picture.php

picture.php

And if you're the same guy I've read posts from complaining about how numbers are so far down, you should be HOPING they shoot these guys rather than a doe. None of us write the rules, and you can't have it both ways...

And btw, if I did hunt the late season (which I don't) and ended up shooting a shed buck, it wouldn't be a waste. It would be tasty bacon cheeseburgers and cheese deer sticks for my family :D

NWBuck

Last Sunday I went to hunt a farm that is one of the few that really does have enough does to justify shooting some. During late Mz in the cold it was common to see 200 deer a night while glassing. Had some friends with me and divided up among the shooting houses. Dropped off the first guy he had a long walk due to the melt and mud before I reached my spot he called and said someone had already hunted from the hut the night before the floor of the hut was covered in brass both 270 and 45pistol. From the hut he counted 13 gut piles and 6 other deer they didn't bother to pick up. I called the landowner and he said he had let some 5 buddy's go down there and said they had shot over 100 times he said they were just does so he didn't think we would mind. By the blood trails and dead deer we figured we figure they had hit at least 25 that weren't recovered. This farm is a lease so we can't say to much but it is the best example of why they need to stop this season. It attracts people who are only interested in live target practice if the season must stay go back shotguns or muzzleloaders.

Last Sunday I went to hunt a farm that is one of the few that really does have enough does to justify shooting some. During late Mz in the cold it was common to see 200 deer a night while glassing. Had some friends with me and divided up among the shooting houses. Dropped off the first guy he had a long walk due to the melt and mud before I reached my spot he called and said someone had already hunted from the hut the night before the floor of the hut was covered in brass both 270 and 45pistol. From the hut he counted 13 gut piles and 6 other deer they didn't bother to pick up. I called the landowner and he said he had let some 5 buddy's go down there and said they had shot over 100 times he said they were just does so he didn't think we would mind. By the blood trails and dead deer we figured we figure they had hit at least 25 that weren't recovered. This farm is a lease so we can't say to much but it is the best example of why they need to stop this season. It attracts people who are only interested in live target practice if the season must stay go back shotguns or muzzleloaders.

If the deer are dumb enough to stand around with over 100 shots fired I would be thankful they are out of the gene pool! :)

Why don't people go and find their deer. This makes me sick. I hunt this season one day a year with a couple buddies. Every deer is retrieved and processed. I would never hunt with these guys and you really should turn them into the CO.

And if you're the same guy I've read posts from complaining about how numbers are so far down, you should be HOPING they shoot these guys rather than a doe. None of us write the rules, and you can't have it both ways...

And btw, if I did hunt the late season (which I don't) and ended up shooting a shed buck, it wouldn't be a waste. It would be tasty bacon cheeseburgers and cheese deer sticks for my family :D

NWBuck

If your population is ravaged, the reality is - you should be heading to areas with healthy populations instead of shooting young bucks or shed bucks, etc. Those areas do not need more deer shot period. Reality that no one will shoot em? Likely not as most folks can't resist even if it's biologically damaging. If I'm in a spot where I should hope a shed buck should be shot over a doe - I'm looking for a new place to hunt next year. Likely not around your neighborhood :)

You would & will shoot a shed buck and make your tasty fried pedicles, drool over your deep fried testicles and make necklaces out of deer penis - well, I guess that's your prerogative and nope, I can't say a thing about it. What we can do is change the regulations the way they were intended to be before Executive orders & dirty politics got in the way. This season was designed to be done now. Crooked at a minimum that it's not. Good luck on your shed bucks in your ravaged areas, save those few does and keep making those exotic male part cuisines & decorations. ;):rolleyes::eek:

NWBuck

This thinking makes no sense

Absolutely has to end

Sickening

No I do not rent the ground but it is in the lease he has no right to hunting or the timber and honestly he could care less about hunting it is the family member who takes care of the land and lives nearby who has a group of friends who stay with him and rifle hunt,other than that I am the only one who hunts the ground,usually during bow season. The family member could care less about hunting also so im kind of in a hard spot,just makes me sick to see bucks ive been watching for 4 plus years get slaughtered with a high power. I guess I can be thankful they only stick around for a weekend

Top Bottom