Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Drury outdoors, DNR roung table....great job

With any decent size whitetail herd a 2-4 acre bean or corn feild would be eaten and gone in no time. With a food plot, when its gone its gone. A bait pile is constantly being dumped in the same spot.

THA4 said:
hahahaha, ya, whatever.... If I had the Orange Army running by my land, Id be out there too making sure they weren't breaking the law, too. sounds justified to me considering all the shotgun only idiots out there that don't keep the law and fair chase in mind... NICE avatar pic by the way..... hope you're proud of it! You just got a chip on your shoulder... its people like YOU that I can't stomach...lways out to mar a successful persons image cause YOU couldn't do what they did.... :( I highly doubt anything you say in this regard holds any water. Just simple jealousy.
:moon:
Ok what ever you say dumb ass just because I don't live on this site like you and put up pictures everyday or change my picture in 5 year. So I guess you read what you want. We have no reason to hunt on there's. Its people like your fat ass that give hunters a bad name. So next time your fat ass reads a post do us all a favor and think about what you, because you are fooled by what actually goes on in are area. You wouldn't know that because are the tool that watches it on there dvd.

hahahahaha, really? I remember talking like that when I was in third grade! Let me know when you're a big boy and we'll talk.... stop by for a visit sometime and we'll see how this fat@$$ does handling his own, kiddo!

:way:

My side hurts from laughing so hard, what a wordsmith!

A little off topic, but nothing bothers me more than someone sitting on the buck for the hero shot. Totally disrespectfull.

After spending a half hour reading through all of that I have come to just one conclusion...more people need to use the spell check haha! :grin:

Bottom line:
If there were no food plots, ( like the 80's/early 90's) all hunters would be on the same play ground.
Wouldnt it be ashame if all men hunted equal and didnt worry about what the neighbor is planting.
What happend to Deer Hunting?? If you watch hunting shows you dont see much (Hunting) just alot of feeding and calling it hunting.
I dont have a son to teach but I sure wouldnt want him to grow up knowing nothing but ( Plant it...they will come)

To me a deer is a deer, if it is killed legally who am I to judge the person or the method in which it is taken. If we all thought the same thing what would we have to discuss?

I could not agree more. This is the attitude I wish more people would adopt. The human race is a competitive one, and competition sometimes breeds jealousy and hatred. It's been this way since the beginning of time. As long as someone is doing something, there will always be somebody else that doesn't like it. Pretty sad if you ask me, but it certainly makes for some entertaining conversations. :grin:

Bottom line:
If there were no food plots, ( like the 80's/early 90's) all hunters would be on the same play ground.
Wouldnt it be ashame if all men hunted equal and didnt worry about what the neighbor is planting.
What happend to Deer Hunting?? If you watch hunting shows you dont see much (Hunting) just alot of feeding and calling it hunting.
I dont have a son to teach but I sure wouldnt want him to grow up knowing nothing but ( Plant it...they will come)

I get your sentiment BUT at the same time, a lot of emotion that needs some deeper thought.... We're NOW hunting in the "best" times of deer hunting ever- more giant deer, more deer period (yes, until recently in the past 5 years they are really thinning them back) and more opportunities for anyone to kill a deer. Yes, I also feel there's still plenty of land to access. Why from what I've seen bowhunter numbers have sky-rocketed in the last 20 years & I've seen a shift from loads of pheasant hunters to now loads of deer hunters.
The folks with plots and well managed land are a NET PLUS to everyone. They help the neighborhood and the Joe-Average in any area.
*Yes, I kind of look at this like communism vs Capitalism.... making everyone equal never works. In Capitalism, the rich provide the poor with jobs, make the standard of living for the whole country better while the communist countries- everyone lives like crap BUT equal.

Should we go back to hunting like Indians? Only primitive weapons? Should one avoid hunting by ag-fields?

I don't see it at all as "plant it and they will come" - it's not that simple. Like I've said, I haven't shot a buck over a food plot in over 10 years. I've gotten a mature buck every year with my bow but in the timber.

BOTTOM LINE: folks who are improving habitat, implementing QDM, managing deer with biological facts, allowing bucks to reach maturity, PLANTING FOOD PLOTS, etc are HELPING the area, neighborhood and our state. Others will benefit. I RARELY see a deer hanging out on one guy's 160 acre chunk alone, food plots or not.
We are in the BEST TIMES of deer hunting - like ANYTHING, it has it's problems - that goes for ANYTHING in this world, it all has it's ups and downs- we'll NEVER have a perfect system, NEVER. BUT- we're in great times right now.

Ok what ever you say dumb ass just because I don't live on this site like you and put up pictures everyday or change my picture in 5 year. So I guess you read what you want. We have no reason to hunt on there's. Its people like your fat ass that give hunters a bad name. So next time your fat ass reads a post do us all a favor and think about what you, because you are fooled by what actually goes on in are area. You wouldn't know that because are the tool that watches it on there dvd.

Really? Tell me something. Have you ever actually spent any time with Mark or Terry? I'm guessing not, seeing as you didn't even know who's daughter Taylor is. I have the privelage of shed hunting with those guys every year and hanging out with them, and I can tell you from actual first hand experience (not hearsay) that they are 1st class guys. It makes me laugh when guys make comments like some of you have, because in all reality you have no idea what you are talking about and are simply speculating. I could take you to any food plot or stand on Marks farm and I can assure you that everything is on the up and up and there aren't hundreds of acres of food plots everywhere! He hunts just like alot of guys on this site and is effected by all of the same variables as the rest of us. Sure he kills alot of nice deer, but you have to remember..... that is what he does for a living. He has busted his ass to get to where he is, and everybody says " if I had the money they do"' or put me on his farm and I could", well than do it, because he is proof that it is attainable with a assload of hard work and time. Sure he is protective of his land, wouldn't you be? I just find it comical that people can be so critical of someone that they don't even know! Your comment about him not being able to get permission on places is just plain dumb. Look at the land he has purchased and has leased, Obviously there are a few guys that have "let him on". And to clear up the living situation......... Yes he lives in Osceola, I've drank a few beers there. He lives in Iowa 365 days a year and his wife and daughter live in Missouri until she graduates. They are going to join Mark in Iowa after that time. Sure it would be a tough way to live, but you have to remember that his farms are part of his business and what he does, so of course he is going to be close. He is not doing anything illegal as some of you have speculated. The start of this thread was about the roundtable they held with the DNR. When I was down there in March it was just before this was held and he was excited about it because (whether YOU like it or not) he was trying to represent the Iowa hunter. He hears all of the same things that we do about legislation and proposed laws and what not, so he wanted to bring the answers out in the open for all of us to see straight form the horses mouth. And for doing this, he gets chastized by A holes like you that say " should have been me sitting there". Why's that? Judging by your post it wouldn't have been a very intelligent conversation!

Listen, I can understand if you don't like watching the outdoor channel because the way that the people on there hunt may be different from you or I, but don't bash on people that you don't know. I'm sure there are probably people out there that talk bad about you or I, but have never taken the time or made the effort to really get to know us. My point is that you just sound like a dipsh!t when you post things like this! I have no problem with the way that you choose to deer hunt and I wish you luck this fall. Like you said...."you hunt your way, and I'll hunt mine" I'm sure Mark Drury doesn't go on public forums and bash on JDWERNER or what ever your name is! I know he has a little more class than that, something that you my friend are seriously lacking in. :way:

There, hopefully this clears things up for some of you guys.

Last edited:
Wernerjd....I know what kind of killers you and your army are...I have seen the exact scenario many times on mine and many friends property...take 10x more than you will ever give back to nature...jealousy sounds like your problem...and if the Drury s are really kicking you off your own ground(which I doubt) why don't you get the dnr out there...o ya I know, you r probably the violaters...your whining sounds like bs to me...if you were my neighbor I would high fence your ass...then you could hunt your side and I could hunt my well managed big buck farm...o and since you own the adjoining land and they r such shity neighbors, why don't you sell it...in fact I will buy it.

I get your sentiment BUT at the same time, a lot of emotion that needs some deeper thought.... We're NOW hunting in the "best" times of deer hunting ever- more giant deer, more deer period (yes, until recently in the past 5 years they are really thinning them back) and more opportunities for anyone to kill a deer. Yes, I also feel there's still plenty of land to access. Why from what I've seen bowhunter numbers have sky-rocketed in the last 20 years & I've seen a shift from loads of pheasant hunters to now loads of deer hunters.
The folks with plots and well managed land are a NET PLUS to everyone. They help the neighborhood and the Joe-Average in any area.
*Yes, I kind of look at this like communism vs Capitalism.... making everyone equal never works. In Capitalism, the rich provide the poor with jobs, make the standard of living for the whole country better while the communist countries- everyone lives like crap BUT equal.

Should we go back to hunting like Indians? Only primitive weapons? Should one avoid hunting by ag-fields?

I don't see it at all as "plant it and they will come" - it's not that simple. Like I've said, I haven't shot a buck over a food plot in over 10 years. I've gotten a mature buck every year with my bow but in the timber.

BOTTOM LINE: folks who are improving habitat, implementing QDM, managing deer with biological facts, allowing bucks to reach maturity, PLANTING FOOD PLOTS, etc are HELPING the area, neighborhood and our state. Others will benefit. I RARELY see a deer hanging out on one guy's 160 acre chunk alone, food plots or not.
We are in the BEST TIMES of deer hunting - like ANYTHING, it has it's problems - that goes for ANYTHING in this world, it all has it's ups and downs- we'll NEVER have a perfect system, NEVER. BUT- we're in great times right now.

IMO I think Sligh's reply is well written. I have been deer hunting fairly seriously for about 25 years now and have seen some very noticeable shifts over that time. Even with the population decline in the past 2-3 years, I believe due in large part to an overly aggressive antlerless harvest, these days are still way better than I remember 25 years ago, particularly as it relates to seeing nice bucks.

Nowadays if I get up early enough :D and hunt fairly seriously I can see several P&Y and better class bucks in a year, and 1 or 2 that would be close or over the B&C standards. 25 years ago I could go a whole season and maybe see one buck that would make P&Y. 25 years ago I can not remember hearing the words "food plot", nor did anyone I know pass up a buck, ANY buck. It was a big deal to shoot a buck, even if he was a forkie, and no one shot does. Guess what...there were very few bucks getting to 3-1/2 year status or better and if they did, they were as nocturnal as a vampire. :D

I can still remember about 15 years ago telling some of my friends that I "passed" on a buck and they basically didn't believe me. I could go on...but yes, things have changed a lot over the years that I have been deer hunting and I would say that most of changes are positive ones.

The "bad dudes", like myself, planting food plots nowadays are also the same lot that will pass up a killing shot on anywhere from 5-25+ bucks in a given year. I could go on, but my basic point is let's keep things in perspective and not be so quick to downgrade how someone else does things when it comes to deer hunting.

IMO
they were as nocturnal as a vampire. :D

That's a great line! :grin:

Very well stated Daver! I don't understand why people are so closed minded about this issue. I honestly cannot get my mind around the attitude that "we" only plant food plots to "hoard" deer. Or that improving your land is a bad thing. Conservation is not a new concept, QDM is somewhat, and I think that people are so obsessed with big racks that they can't see past their own nose to see the good that managing land does for the ecosystem as a whole. Oh well, can't please everybody all the time. I do find it ironic that most of the people I hear bashing on food plots and management practices usually are the same guys that hunt 3 days a year and never shoot a "big buck", or never give anything back to the environment. Envy is an evil thing no doubt! :rolleyes:

Daver couldn't agree with you more!!!:way: I read through alot of these posts and crindged reading a couple of them... Keep the post cival and respect the views of others... I love hunting and heated converations between some of you guys in not what hunting is all about... Its about having fun with family and friend no matter what you choose to plant or harvest.... Keep it respectful and have fun!!!:drink1:

I read through alot of these posts and crindged reading a couple of them... Keep the post cival and respect the views of others... I love hunting and heated converations between some of you guys in not what hunting is all about... Its about having fun with family and friend no matter what you choose to plant or harvest.... Keep it respectful and have fun!!!:drink1:

Great reply Bryan, my thoughts exactly! Having a debate is one thing, allot can be learned. Making it an argument or a fight is ridiculous when arguing about OPINIONS. You are not likely to change anyone esle's opinion so, state yours and keep it respectful! Some lacking respect in this one are vetrans here and should know better.:(

My opinion? To each his own. If you want to plant plots, plant it. If you don't, don't. It is legal and until then we have no right to bash someone who does it, especially on a public forum. I'm tinkering with a plot this year for my kids (on a small scale). I'm finding it fun, but time consuming and expensive!:confused:

Either way you chose, good luck this year. I hope you shoot the biggest buck you have ever harvested, using whatever legal method you chose!:way:

Drury lives in Iowa, family lives in Missouri

In reference to Mark Drury living in Iowa, to me that is great that he is following the rules. Personally, I like their videos, I do some writing and video work like they do...even share some sponsors with them (Biologic, Nikon, Big Game Treestands) so I personally have nothing against them.

My point I made earlier, is that couldn't this all be simpler. If he owns a farm in Iowa and has for how many years now, shouldn't he be able to live across the border in Missouri, with his wife and daughter?

Would there be the same resentment that you see, in the long run, is this a good situation, are there any ways to improve it?

Mainly looking for opinions...

Oh man, you're not going down this road again are you? :grin:

I think there was like a 50 page thread about this last spring if you want to know what people think about Iowa NR laws :way:

If he owns a farm in Iowa and has for how many years now, shouldn't he be able to live across the border in Missouri, with his wife and daughter?

He can! And then he would have to play the lottery like other NR's. Nobody is saying that he can't live in Missouri, I think he just likes being able to hunt his farms every year, so he became a resident. Just like many of us on this site. It's not that difficult to understand and follow Iowa laws.

Iowa

Oh man, you're not going down this road again are you? :grin:

I think there was like a 50 page thread about this last spring if you want to know what people think about Iowa NR laws :way:

Yes I realize that, but I am the only one on here that sees the NR hunting tag issue as a negative to land owners in certain parts of the state?

Big blocks of land are being bought up by former NR then they move to Iowa and become R...many acres off limits to locals. It would be worse if Iowa gave out more tags correct? Yes, maybe, but I think the same amount of acres are being bought up regardless

They (NR) would not need to move here if the tags were not so restrictive, and would more than likely not have such large excessive farms. I can name several large landowners in Iowa, that more than likely would never have moved to Iowa, but they are now residents and have 1000's of acres.

Just my opinion, wondering if anyone else agrees?? Please be friendly, we have had enough fights on this topic:D

Top Bottom