Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Electronic calling coon

I have a buddy that does it and kills a ton. From what I understand he finds a den tree and sets up 20 yards or so away and lets it rip. most of them come flying down the tree and he kills them right by the caller.

i started doing it this year and i let me tell you i have never had that much fun shooting coons i set my call up next to a den about 20 yards and i play the coon puppies sound first for the whole duration if nothing i will switch to the fighting sound and if that one doesnt get any reaction then i will play the distress call and let me tell you when they begin to come out it could be one coon or it could be ten and be aware there could be more dens close so keep an eye out all over cause you never know where they are going to come from

I have a buddy that does it and kills a ton. From what I understand he finds a den tree and sets up 20 yards or so away and lets it rip. most of them come flying down the tree and he kills them right by the caller.

Yep pretty much. Den tree and brush piles. We have more luck with den trees but we do get them out of brush piles. We have the best luck after 2pm, don't ask me why but they just don't seem as active in the mornings. Find a hole in a tree set your caller on the opposite side of the tree hole and set yourself off to the side of the hole. Don't set directly facing the hole because some coons will just stick their heads out to investigate first and they will spot ya. Most of them just come barreling out so have your gun ready. Make sure the coon is all the way out of the hole before you shoot it or they will get back to the hole before they die and you will be out a fur. They are tough critters so let them get as far away from the hole as possible. If the coon gets back to the hole and dies, the hole is ruined for the rest of the season. If you kill a coon out of the hole you can go back to that hole and get multiple coons throughout the season. We start with fighting coons, then go to baby coon in distress. That usually brings them out but sometimes they will just stick their heads out so we throw the rest of the calls at them. We do short sets and then move on. We have found that usually if a coons going to commit they will do it in the first five minutes. Some coons that just poke their heads out will continue to do that the whole time you call to them. With those coons after we've tried all the coon calls on the foxpro we just move on and try the hole again another day. It's a good time and with good fur prices it will put some cash in your pocket. If you want to make it real interesting set the foxpro between your legs then it gets to be more hands-on. :)

Den trees. Check.

Pup distress, then fighting, then adult distress. Check.

For some reason I'm not sure I want to try this, because if it's TOO much fun I'll be shoulder deep in greasy coon skins.

Do they still respond this time of year? Cold days vs warm days?

I've been doing it a couple years now, I use two coon squaller mouth calls and a foxpro electronic with coon fighting on it. I normally use the foxpro though. My favorite time is that last 30 minutes of light. I can normally get 4 sets done in this time. I look for a good den tree or right along the edge of a timber will work. If they're not there within 5 minutes they're not gonna show up. I kill most of mine within the first 3 minutes of calling and within 5 steps of my call. Set the call up ten steps from you. I drive from spot to spot, get out and just lean against my car. If I were calling in the middle of the day I wouldn't do this but with little light left it doesn't seem to bother them. The coons I shoot are mostly males and some big old females. Good Luck.

I personally like the beginning of trapping season since it's a little bit warmer and that's when they seem to be fighting the most. But if you can get a nice day with highs in the 40s yet it would be worth a shot. This time of the year Id stay at a set for about 15 minutes, just because I've had coyotes come in. I would also be doing it mid-day this time of the year.

Den trees. Check. Pup distress, then fighting, then adult distress. Check. For some reason I'm not sure I want to try this, because if it's TOO much fun I'll be shoulder deep in greasy coon skins. Do they still respond this time of year? Cold days vs warm days?

Yes this time of the year is great. Never seemed to notice the difference between calling cold days or warm days other than getting cold doing it. Take note of what the hole looks like once you have success. You can tell which holes are used a lot by the smooth edges and rub marks of the coons going in and out. It's a blast.

I have a den tree you could try Muddy, but the neighbor 50 yards to the west runs traps. Doubt he got them all.

I have a den tree you could try Muddy, but the neighbor 50 yards to the west runs traps. Doubt he got them all.

That's the classic response when you ask somebody to call coons on their property. They will tell you go ahead but so and so traps it so I don't know if you will get any. You will, there are plenty of them out there.

That's the classic response when you ask somebody to call coons on their property. They will tell you go ahead but so and so traps it so I don't know if you will get any. You will, there are plenty of them out there.

Muddy has hunted my property before.

I'll gladly assist him if he takes this opportunity.

I know a few guys that do it and this sums it up. They say its crazy fun.

Muddy has hunted my property before. I'll gladly assist him if he takes this opportunity.

Wasn't directed at you. Sorry your post just reminded me of what most people say when asked. Just letting people know not to overlook properties that have been trapped.

It's the most fun you will ever have during the middle of the day if they are responding.
I've been doing this for years and right now is the time to be going after them.
I take line wolf sticks and a climbing belt and periodically check den holes so I can round up a fun afternoon and not waste my time on empty trees.
I climbed a tree yesterday that is stacked full of coons and we will hit it on tuesday!
The most we have ever called out and killed in a day is 39. Just blind calling trees is fun but if you can zero in on active dens it's almost guaranteed fun to be had by all.

And as mentioned, keep your eyes peeled they can come from nowhere sometimes.

It's the most fun you will ever have during the middle of the day if they are responding.
I've been doing this for years and right now is the time to be going after them.
I take line wolf sticks and a climbing belt and periodically check den holes so I can round up a fun afternoon and not waste my time on empty trees.
I climbed a tree yesterday that is stacked full of coons and we will hit it on tuesday!
The most we have ever called out and killed in a day is 39. Just blind calling trees is fun but if you can zero in on active dens it's almost guaranteed fun to be had by all.

And as mentioned, keep your eyes peeled they can come from nowhere sometimes.

39 in a day?!?! Wow

Top Bottom