Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Electronic calling coon

What caliber/bullet/rifle do you guys use?

Lets see if I can do the math, 39 coon in a day, carcass coon worth $10, that's.......uh.....well.....hmmmmm......(39/3)+(14/2)x 5 x 4 - (20/2)....gee, that's a nice chunk of change. I realize 39 in a day is a once in a life time thing but wow, how much fun would that have been?

I used a 17hmr for a while and it worked fine but decided it would be a good excuse to buy a 22 mag. One well placed shot behind the ear usually does the trick. I know some guys that use shotguns but that kind of takes the fun out of it for me.

I sold a big batch of green skinned coon already this year. 20.75 average straight across the board. Coyote average has been 28.00.
Yes 39 in one day was an absolute blast, me and 2 buddies still talk about it almost every time we get together. On an average afternoon just by myself I can come up with 6-8 if I know of active dens.
I shoot a .22 mag using 32 grain Hornady v-max and attempt to get them from the neck forward.

Have shot quite a few with 2-3/4" 12 guage 4 shot loads if I'm blind calling a new area without scouting.
It can get fast and furious and a pattern to the head doesn't dock you at the fur buyer. I would stay away from #4 buck just as words of wisdom.

Coon fight is what I usually start with and if that doesn't work I'll go to coon pup distress. If all else fails a woodpecker distress will peak their curiosity and maybe draw a few out.
I've had the best days after Christmas once the boars really start seeking out sows once Christmas rolls around its basically the coon "Rut"
With in 10 days from now your big boar coons will start to show some rubs from fighting and searching all dens for sows. They can go from having the best fur to being almost worthless in a weeks time, basically the same criteria as deer in november.
If you have never seen a full on coon fight it is something to see. Want to talk about loud and violent!
Good luck to all the first timers. I hope it all works out. I spend a lot of time calling coons in the mornings and early afternoon and then head out in the afternoon late muzzeloader hunting. Great time of the year!

Do you guys walk in from long distances to keep your approaching noise to a minimum or do they mind the sound of an ATV, etc... ???

Man that looks like a lot of fun!!! My foxpro is just sitting there getting dusty and what a way to get a kid involved. Man now I have to see about uploading some sounds from foxpro.

No need to worry about noise. A lot of trees we call are right along the river and we just drive the truck right up to them. If they are going to come out it wouldn't matter if there was a school bus parked in the way.
I've never noticed a difference from driving in or walking in. Camo or no camo.

We drive right up to trees but keep the vehicle out of plain sight. No need for camo but I believe it does help they will spot ya but we've been calling these holes for years so some may be educated. Most of the time we don't worry about making noise but when calling with a buddy we use hand signals rather than talk when we get close to the holes.

I have never tried this, but after reading these stories I just might...

What weapon, from the list below, would be the best choice?

12 ga shotgun
20 ga shotgun
.410 ga shotgun
.22 rifle, scoped
.22 rifle, not scoped
.243 rifle, scoped (I think I know the answer to this one. :D)
.22 pistol

Its a blast Muddy. I've done it a few times and its not hard to walk a new piece of timber looking for old trees. Been my experience that about 1 out of 5 dens has a coon come out.

I do as others do, look for those holes with that yellow/red marking around the bard, kind of like a deer rub and you know something is using that den regularly.

I have never tried this, but after reading these stories I just might...

What weapon, from the list below, would be the best choice?

12 ga shotgun
20 ga shotgun
.410 ga shotgun
.22 rifle, scoped
.22 rifle, not scoped
.243 rifle, scoped (I think I know the answer to this one. :D)
.22 pistol

On the lines of the 243 i thought the AR would be a blast and oh it was lol but the fur really suffered haha
icon10.gif

this is crazy. I just replaced the batteries in my sons Fox Pro and took it outside "in city limits" That a house has been abandoned. I knew i had seen a coon on the roof this fall. I walked down the block and stood in front of this junky house and hit the fighting coon call. Within 30 seconds 4 coon came flying out on the roof looking to get me. i couldn't believe it. i shut it off and went and got a head light "this was at 8:00 pm tonight" came back and did it again and out they came again. 2 were huge and 2 medium size. I may ask the city if I can take them out for them. It was unreal how fast they came out. I think i found a new sport. We are going to the timber tomorrow with the fox pro. I let ya know how it goes as I know a spot near a pond with several large dens:).

Anyone have any luck calling coon on cold days? Might try this weekend, Saturday is going to be a little warmer. Gotta try out my new fox pro firestorm.

u guys have me wanting to try this this coming season! i might get back into trapping also!

Top Bottom