Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Elevated Box Blinds

Critter

Life Member
I've got plans for an elevated blind on my property for next year........well, they're not really "plans", but I know I'm going to build one. I'd like it 20' from the floor if possible, but I'm not sure I can find 4 by 6's that long. Anyone ever sandwich and stagger 2 by 6's at that length (24') to make the frame posts? Telephone poles would be great, but I'm not sure I can find them. Other ideas?

You can buy treated 6 x 6's that long...expensive!!!

Don't think you need to be that high in a box blind though...

I know, I know.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ghost</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
You can buy treated 6 x 6's that long...expensive!!!

Don't think you need to be that high in a box blind though...

I know, I know.....

</div></div>

Ever sit in one of my treestands? /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

My dad had an old platform stand that used old telephone poles. The damn poles are still there, hardly rotten, and it's been 35-40 years since him and the farmer built the thing.

I can't tell ya where they got the poles though. Knowing my dad and this farmer back in their "woolier" days, I am not sure I want to know.

Maybe phone companies or the power line companies would give up the old poles?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: muddy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My dad had an old platform stand that used old telephone poles. The damn poles are still there, hardly rotten, and it's been 35-40 years since him and the farmer built the thing.

I can't tell ya where they got the poles though. Knowing my dad and this farmer back in their "woolier" days, I am not sure I want to know.

Maybe phone companies or the power line companies would give up the old poles? </div></div>

Some companies do give them up, but the ones I've talked to make you cut them up into 10' sections before you remove them......liability reasons.

Critr,
I think you could sandwich 3-2 x 6's together.

When I was in Wisc. we did this all the time for our pole buildings and commercial buildings.

Like Kent said you can find longer ones but they are spendy.

Maybe if you had an "in" with a local company? Perhaps Seth could help you out?

Besides, if you put a platform on a field edge why do you need to be much higher than that? Will still elevate you enough to take the long distance shots.

Them poles were probably old poles the phone company switched out, I know that is how I got mine for my box blind. My father-in-law had an in with someone from the phone company?????

sheesh Jamie....you are into sky Scrapers.....

but, i know you can special order treated lumber from Menards that long...it is pricey, but if you gotta be up where the geese fly, id try them first....

telephone poles are a good bet as well....if you do that, you could build an elevated blind that is even 40 foot up....then you could look down on the birdies....hahahaha

if you do it right, you could sammich a few together to get your desired height.....

good luck!

We buy telephone poles quite often at my company from the local utilities (Mid American). We buy the ones they replace. Contact them they will probably hook you up. Also try talking to an electrical contractor.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: muddy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe if you had an "in" with a local company? Perhaps Seth could help you out?

Besides, if you put a platform on a field edge why do you need to be much higher than that? Will still elevate you enough to take the long distance shots. </div></div>

outa' sight........outa' mind /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif The higher, the better for me. Height not only helps conceal you a little more, it also gives you the advantage of being able to see what's coming and where from further away. If the land was totally flat it wouldn't really matter, but my field edges roll up and down and are are not straight.

If you want I'll sit on the other side of the ridge and shoot signal arrows at you so as you know what's coming.

I don't see the liability difference of a 10 foot pole vs a 20 foot pole. If you fall you could get just as hurt at 10. Sorta.

You can't sweet talk your way into a 20? Take GoldTip, maybe he can scare them into letting you have a 20 footer.

My first thought was talking with Seth as well. I dont know about Iowa but up here(MN) VERY little plant is actually still on poles as far as phone goes. In bigger citys and way up north where the ground is 90% rock there are still some. Majority of the state is underground.

I would try talking to some power companys before I started in with a phone company. If you can find an underground utility company you have a better chance aswell, especially if they are retiring line, or replacing it. If you can find a traveling crew that may be a contractor, you would be amazed what a case or two of beer will get you.

Dean

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bowhuntr311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
you would be amazed what a case or two of beer will get you.
</div></div>

Oh, jackpot CRITR, you're in the right country up here. Go towards your ground and I think you'll be in an even better situation.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If the land was totally flat it wouldn't really matter, but my field edges roll up and down and are are not straight. </div></div>

You must have the only "not flat" spot in Iowa.... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

I think I'd spend the money on the 6x6's if you can't get poles. At least once a year we seem to get some pretty strong wind shears that might "test" something less?

Guess you could always take a long a parachute! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: muddy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you want I'll sit on the other side of the ridge and shoot signal arrows at you so as you know what's coming.

I don't see the liability difference of a 10 foot pole vs a 20 foot pole. If you fall you could get just as hurt at 10. Sorta.

You can't sweet talk your way into a 20? Take GoldTip, maybe he can scare them into letting you have a 20 footer. </div></div>

I think they just want to make sure you're not building anything out of it, or using it for high wire. Really, a 10' pole is only 6' high once you've got it in the ground. And to be honest, GoldTip is about as good as they come when it involves suckin' butt.....I've seen him do it at work numerous times. You'd think he'd get tired of it eventually, but I swear he's like the Energizer Bunny. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bukslayr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We buy telephone poles quite often at my company from the local utilities (Mid American). We buy the ones they replace. Contact them they will probably hook you up. Also try talking to an electrical contractor. </div></div>

There plenty of poles out there from Mid America. All the poles that they replaced in Northeast Iowa last spring due to ice. Also try down in Southcentral Iowa where they just recently had an Ice storm.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wernerjd</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bukslayr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We buy telephone poles quite often at my company from the local utilities (Mid American). We buy the ones they replace. Contact them they will probably hook you up. Also try talking to an electrical contractor. </div></div>

There plenty of poles out there from Mid America. All the poles that they replaced in Northeast Iowa last spring due to ice. Also try down in Southcentral Iowa where they just recently had an Ice storm. </div></div>

That is how I got the ones I am going to be using! A local farmer had them give a bunch to him and he had them all piled up! I talked to him and he said I could have some! When I asked where he got them he told me they didn't want to haul them back after the ice storm. They asked if he wanted them and he said they could pile them up behind the shed, and they did!! He has given a lot away and I don't know how tall they are, but I know they have to be close if not longer than 20!!

6" by 6" Green Treated 24' poles from Menards : $101.95

Ain't gonna' happen..........pit blind might be cheaper. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

It should turn out real nice Jamie...

837txblind1.jpg

Top Bottom