Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Ethics (how far is too far?)

To me, it is ethical to take a shot at animal your are confident you can kill. With that said, I have been highly confident on shots inside of 20 yards and blew it. That is the chance we take when bowhunting. You have to live with the outcome. I have shot a lot of deer and turkeys with a bow and the ones I remember the most are the few I either missed or gimped. It is the most awful feeling in the world and one that really eats at you and makes you strive to become better.

There are guys out there that don't get this feeling and are the ones taking pot shots at game beyond their capabilities. Just because one can shoot on paper great out to 80 yards doesn't mean one will always take that shot. There are many circumstances that go into play before releasing the arrow. The animal has to be calm, minimal wind, the actual yardage known and everything needs to feel right. If it doesn't, don't shoot. Granted a lot can still go wrong whether it is 20 yards or 80. A lot more can go wrong at 80 no doubt but it is a judgement call on the shot opportunity the hunter has to make. That same call has to be made at 20 yards.

I would never dream of shooting at a deer at 80 yards. I could do it but see no point in it. I can make sure I set up everytime to where my shots are in that 35 yard range or less. Preferably around 20 yards. Out West was a different ball game. We walked into public land blind in the wide open prairie and had 2.5 days to get it done. This isn't Iowa deer woods. The goats can and will go anywhere. The chance of even getting one within 40 yards is slim. Now if you lived out there and could put out a blind on a water hole to where they are not leery of it you can have 20 yard shots all day but wasn't the case for us.

I practiced out to 80 and can shoot just as good at 80 as a lot of guys I have shot with in the past can shoot at 40. It takes a lot of practice but can easily be done to shoot well inside a pie plate every time. Now the decision to shoot is a different story. When I shot mine everything was perfect. I actually passed her 20 yards closer but I would of had to stop her, put her on full alert and force a shot. The outcome wouldn't have been good I am sure.

It is a decision we all got to live with without doubt. When I got home from out West I removed my bottom 3 pins and don't plan on shooting past 40 yards. I really am hoping for that 20-25 yard slam dunk shot but past experience shows something could go wrong there just as well.

Goodluck Gents!!

Last edited:
I'm all about ethics so i would never take a potshot no matter what the situation. If Some people want to lob arrows so be it, i'll stick to my close shots, crippling animals just isn't for me. Like others have said too much can happen and will happen at long range. 50 yds is too far on a live target.

Unless you are on a field edge, it would be awfully tough to have an opening in the timber where you could shoot the bow anywhere near 40 yards or more without hitting a twig or something.

boneman said:
I'm all about ethics so i would never take a potshot no matter what the situation. If Some people want to lob arrows so be it, i'll stick to my close shots, crippling animals just isn't for me. Like others have said too much can happen and will happen at long range. 50 yds is too far on a live target.

I believe 50 isint to far, only if you have practiced it. Ya a lot can go wrong but if you practice enough in different situations it shouldn't be as Tough as someone never practicing this shot. The farthest i shoot is 40 yards, only because I don't fill confident in myself yet to shot a deer over 50.

The only way It's an unethical shot is if you don't practice and feel confident in your shot. If you second guess on taking the shot due to distance, odds are you shouldn't take the shot.

I'm a very good shot and I won't go past 30. Too much for deer reaction even with a fast bow. Personally, I wouldnt shoot a whitetail much past that even if was an olympic archer. I'm not worried about my abilities- I'm worried about the deers abilities & reactions. That's me though.

Not calling you out or anything but I see this all the time. With all the guys drilling sub 3" groups at 60 yards you would think they would be challenging the top shooters in the world at 20 yards.

I can honestly say that I can hit 3-4" groups at 60 yards when I'm shooting regularly and about 5" groups at 70 yards. As far as challenging the top shooters, never thought about it because I have better things to do. :D

As far as all the comments about potshots, I agree wholeheartedly and I won't take a shot at 60 or 70 yards unless all of the conditions are right (right wind, solid footing, calm animal, etc.). I don't want to wound an animal anymore than the next guy. I want a good clean kill. I was thinking more about this this morning as I was walking through the forest. I think it really is matter of the differences between western hunting (elk, muley, and whitetail) and midwestern whitetail hunting. Out west its mostly spot and stalk and still hunting. I've never had a shot opportunity under 40 yards on deer. Our ponderosa pine forests with dry pine needles and oak leaves on the forest floor and pinyon-juniper forests in AZ just don't lend themselves to close opportunities. 50 yard shots are closer to the norm with several instances requiring a 60 yard shot. Its not about being a great woodsman in those conditions; you just can't close enough distance and you'll get out-woodsmaned every time by the deer and elk. Just about the only time you will get a shot under 30 yards is if you are sitting in a tree stand or ground blind on a stock tank or known travel route. I try my hardest to get as close to my target as possible and will never take a potshot, but if the conditions are right (per above), I won't hesitate on a 60 yard shot and would strongly consider a 70 yard shot. As I said in a previous post (or the other thread that this originated from), I will NEVER take a shot at more than 40 yards from a tree stand...period.

I certainly respect the opinions of those who disagree, but we all have to recognize that there are very fundamental differences in western hunting and midwestern hunting.

I'm a very good shot and I won't go past 30. Too much for deer reaction even with a fast bow. Personally, I wouldnt shoot a whitetail much past that even if was an olympic archer. I'm not worried about my abilities- I'm worried about the deers abilities & reactions. That's me though.

I'm the exact same as you Skip. I've let some real pigs walk at 40yds. I'll wait for the close shots and just enjoy watching a great deer at a distance. To each their own.

I like getting close to a mature buck its me against the buck to see if i can get inn his cricle it takes some skill to do that. if i cant shoot him at 30yds he lives enouther day or year. If you like shooting long shots wait till gun season to many unknown things can and will happen and wounding a deer sucks been there and done that.

If you HONESTLY believe you can make the shot, after assessing the given situation, then I'm not going to say anything. It's the ones that are pokin and hopin that bother me. I've heard as many lost deer / bad shots at close range as far.

Can't even believe there's people that think 50 yards is too far, even worse, can't believe a guy won't shoot a deer past 30!!! My brother shoots 40 very very accurately with his freakin recurve. My wife is extremely deadly at 50 and pretty damn good at 60. These new bows are meant to shoot long distances, that's why new sights have a lot of pins and the one pin sights are set up where u can sight them in to 100 or a little better.

AZHunter said:
I can honestly say that I can hit 3-4" groups at 60 yards when I'm shooting regularly and about 5" groups at 70 yards. As far as challenging the top shooters, never thought about it because I have better things to do. :D.

Again, I'm not saying you can't but I believe that there are not many shooters who can consistently shoot 3" or less groups at 60 yards. Definitely not as many as claim they can on internet forums.

tyhambone said:
Can't even believe there's people that think 50 yards is too far, even worse, can't believe a guy won't shoot a deer past 30!!! My brother shoots 40 very very accurately with his freakin recurve. My wife is extremely deadly at 50 and pretty damn good at 60. These new bows are meant to shoot long distances, that's why new sights have a lot of pins and the one pin sights are set up where u can sight them in to 100 or a little better.

He didn't say anything about it being to far. He was talking about a the deer reaction time to the shot.

I guarantee their are people that could out shoot your 10/10 on here and still won't take a shot past 40.

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
Again, I'm not saying you can't but I believe that there are not many shooters who can consistently shoot 3" or less groups at 60 yards. Definitely not as many as claim they can on internet forums.

I agree whole-heartedly!

Here's one that even I had to shake my head at (and thought of you and this discussion). I was hunting with a buddy this morning and he was telling me about a friend of his that shot a 340" bull in Unit 9 (our TROPHY unit) this season and it was a 134 yard shot with a complete pass through. The bull went 40 yards and died. Apparently he's shooting a Bowtech Invasion set at 83 lbs with those nano arrows (Gold Tip Kinetic?) tipped with the new Rage Extreme 2-blade. I will freely admit that shooting at a bull (or any animal) at that range is ridiculous. It definitely shoots past my comfort level and I won't even try to defend it. For the record, my buddy didn't condone it either.

What's more ironic is that for Unit 9, a 340" bull is considered small. Apparently this guy passed up a few 380" class (about the norm/average for this unit) at 70 yards for whatever reason! :rolleyes:

134 yards? To be honest that's impressive, not a smart shot IMO but impressive non-the-less. and I'm glad it worked out so well. I wonder what his ibo speed is with that setup...

134 yards? To be honest that's impressive, not a smart shot IMO but impressive non-the-less. and I'm glad it worked out so well. I wonder what his ibo speed is with that setup...

I won't lie. I was a little impressed. I agree, not smart, but impressive in some regards. But I would never do that, though.

I won't shoot over 30 yards from any of my setups this year, not comfortable past that distance right now.

QUOTE]

Well I have to retract this statement. Started shooting farther distances after my first post in this subject. Took a big mature doe Saturday morning the 6th at 45 yards. I knew exactly where she was and had a wide open shot in a new observation setup. She was slightly quatered away from me. My arrow hit right on mark as I expected, and the rage took out both lungs and blew through the opposite shoulder on the way out. She crashed just out of sight.

Top Bottom