Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Every year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Theres alot of idiot shotgun hunters out there but we cant sit back and b**ch about em. Im a shotgun hunter myself, our group is 7 guys and weve been accused of some stupid things like leaving deer lay. Ive been shotgun hunting for 8 yrs, and we have never let a deer lay that we found. We dont wound many but when someone does, we put everything we got into finding that deer no matter how much time it takes. Also, we always ask permission and never cross or shoot across a fence unless we are 110% sure we have permission for that ground and nobody is over there. My point of this is to show all shotgun hunters arent bad, but theres always a few dumb ones. Me, and the group I hunt with are all about safty, no deer is worth a life and I wish the dumb ones would get that through theyre head..

I was digging with an excavator Saturday on my new land, and 3 guys got dropped off to push. They didn't look to happy to see me there. I went to say hi as they walked down the fencline and they didn't even stop to say hi. They had permission to push 500 acres of field all around my land, and I bet in years past they pushed my land too. Being it is the only grassy bed down area. Not anymore, new owner, new rules. Based on what you guys deal with, I can just see that as I start improving this property and managing it for deer that im going to start dealing with treaspassers.

Funny thing is, every year we have people come on here and complain about how shotgun season is horrible and how it ruins bowhunting.

Well guys sorry, but take a look at the main page and go back a little while and check out all the guys complaining about trespassers during the bow season. Look at how many guys are asking about questionable shots because they didn't make a ethical kill on a deer. Look at how many complain about stolen cameras, stolen stands and catching trespassers. But you guys make it seem like only people who shotgun hunt do this, wrong. Bow hunters get almost 3 months to hunt, yet they complain about people ruining their season because of a 3 week period were people get to use guns. It is just sad.

But, you guys come on here and complain about people who shotgun hunt?? Why, because you don't think it is safe? Well the people participating in the hunts have a better chance of being killed on the way to hunt then they do actually pushing deer.

Everyone as hunters needs to quick bashing others, because do we really need more restrictions to our hunting rights? Did not think so.

I'm in the same area as hotshott and we deal with poaching, lazy, buck toothed, cousin kissin slobs.

Heck, I enjoy the occasional deer push. Kinda fun and a good break from sitting in the stand all day long. Its fun to get some family and friends together and go put some meat on the ground. I have no problem with that at all.

Here is what I have a problem with. I have a problem with guys pulling up next to our fenceline and dumping 30 rounds out of a rifle while we are in the timber, or running deer down with trucks, or shooting at my truck while parked in the field, or shooting cattle because their mad that they can't hunt, or burning hay, or shooting the mail box, or ......... get my drift? There groups of idiots down in Ringgold county is staggering. I would bet that 99% of the shotgun hunters that frequent this site, could come down here and be simply amazed at what goes on. It's not shotgun season, its the complete disrespect of land and landowners (all of this is done by people who do not own land). Its pathetic at best. But these guys come out in flocks during shotgun season, so that's why I hate this time of year.

Other than that, I have no problem what so ever with shotgun season. I've hunted with some great groups, and had a ton of fun, and never was 1 person in any danger. But the groups I mentioned above, just have me sour. Not a thing against shotgun hunters at all, just at shotgun season.

Well guys sorry, but take a look at the main page and go back a little while and check out all the guys complaining about trespassers during the bow season.
A trespassing bow hunter has to sit many hours to kill a deer...a trespassing pair or more of gun hunters can sweep the best cover in the section in a matter of minutes only to escape to legal ground on the other side. Not only do they get a shot at the deer, so does every other party on adjoining properties not partaking in the trespassing. Trespassing shotgun hunters are vermin.

The headlines speak for themselves:

Articles Detail

Public Assistance Sought for Property Damage Incident in Winneshiek County
Posted: 12/02/2012
DECORAH – The public is being asked for information relating to a shotgun slug being fired through the picture window of an occupied home approximately five miles northeast of Decorah late Sunday afternoon.

The incident occurred at approximately 4:40 p.m. when a 12-gauge shotgun slug was fired from a light-colored truck at deer crossing the roadway, hitting the window on the house located on the 2900 block of 155th Avenue.

Anyone with information regarding the incident should contact DNR Conservation Officer Brian Roffman at 563-380-0496 or the Winneshiek County Sheriff’s Department at 563-382-4268.

Your right tree rat, thousands of shotgun hunters out there the past weekend and a house got shot Your a statistical genius!

I'm in the same area as hotshott and we deal with poaching, lazy, buck toothed, cousin kissin slobs.

Heck, I enjoy the occasional deer push. Kinda fun and a good break from sitting in the stand all day long. Its fun to get some family and friends together and go put some meat on the ground. I have no problem with that at all.

Here is what I have a problem with. I have a problem with guys pulling up next to our fenceline and dumping 30 rounds out of a rifle while we are in the timber, or running deer down with trucks, or shooting at my truck while parked in the field, or shooting cattle because their mad that they can't hunt, or burning hay, or shooting the mail box, or ......... get my drift? There groups of idiots down in Ringgold county is staggering. I would bet that 99% of the shotgun hunters that frequent this site, could come down here and be simply amazed at what goes on. It's not shotgun season, its the complete disrespect of land and landowners (all of this is done by people who do not own land). Its pathetic at best. But these guys come out in flocks during shotgun season, so that's why I hate this time of year.

Other than that, I have no problem what so ever with shotgun season. I've hunted with some great groups, and had a ton of fun, and never was 1 person in any danger. But the groups I mentioned above, just have me sour. Not a thing against shotgun hunters at all, just at shotgun season.
sounds just like Shelby, Crawford, and Carroll Counties where my dad farms!
I'm right there with ya nanny...i also enjoy shotgun season and have nothing against most guys that shotgun hunt or push deer. i just have a BIG problem with guys that blatantly disrespect property lines and hunting laws and unfortunately a much higher pecentage of shotgun hunters fit this category than those hunting other seasons.

sounds just like Shelby, Crawford, and Carroll Counties where my dad farms!
I'm right there with ya nanny...i also enjoy shotgun season and have nothing against most guys that shotgun hunt or push deer. i just have a BIG problem with guys that blatantly disrespect property lines and hunting laws and unfortunately a much higher pecentage of shotgun hunters fit this category than those hunting other seasons.

X2 on this. It is a shame that a few bad apples give the rest of us a bad name. Unfortunately shotgun season brings out more of those "bad apples". I don't understand the mindset of the guys who say "it is what it is, just accept it". No one should have to accept trespassing on their property, game law violations, and utter disrespect for land, landowners and wildlife. One person getting shot is one too many. Once house getting hit with a slug is one too many. IMO, all law enforcement, not just COs, need to be out in full force during the shotgun season. The main reason these yahoos violate laws is because there is little to no consequences and the odds of getting caught are slim to none.

Last edited:
Let's face it...shotgun hunting isn't hunting. Also unfortunately a large portion of them are morons..that shoot holes in your mailbox and steal screw in steps and climbing sticks cuz you have permission to bowhunt a lot of land!! Oh ya...and lets not forget shooting holes in signs. Oh ya..and lets not forget the ones that I saw stop and shoot bucks out the window onto land that's not theirs..and leave them lay!! Real sportsman!

Let's face it...shotgun hunting isn't hunting. Also unfortunately a large portion of them are morons..that shoot holes in your mailbox and steal screw in steps and climbing sticks cuz you have permission to bowhunt a lot of land!! Oh ya...and lets not forget shooting holes in signs. Oh ya..and lets not forget the ones that I saw stop and shoot bucks out the window onto land that's not theirs..and leave them lay!! Real sportsman!

I'm going to play devils avocate here and disagree with you. Doing a shotgun push is a different method of pursuing game. Sitting in a stand is a different method of pursuing game. If sitting in a stand, in one spot for hours on end is the elite method in your mind, then maybe you should take up spot and stalk with a recurve.

I'm not going to argue over what is better or not. I love to chase whitetails with archery equipment, but do to my job I have limited time. So I am left with late season. If I am in a stand with my bow and ML (which I will have a tag for both weapons), and a big buck walks in and I choose to shoot him with the ML at 40 yards, would I have been a better "hunter' if I would have let him walk another 10 yards and shot him with a bow?

As far as doing deer "pushes" or "drives", I have no problem with it at all. If done correctly, they are safe, fun, and very ethical. And if people choose to hunt that way, it is their choice and it is a legal mean of pursuing whitetail deer.

By the way, I have only hunted 2 shotgun season in 8 years of being in Iowa. I am going to hunt 2nd season this year so my father can hunt with us. It's more about time with him than anything, and If I choose to "push" a deer to him and him shoot it, I call that quality family time. We will also share a blind together in the evenings.

srich said:
Ok...you're right. Pushing deer isn't hunting. Its shooting.

Ok...Going out two hours before dark climbing in a blind over standing beans or some other man made food sight that attracts deer. Holding in your arms a gun that is more than capable of making 250 yard shots. Ha I will stick to shotgun season.

then maybe you should take up spot and stalk with a recurve.

I think you also need to chip your own arrowheads from stone and whittle you own sticks from hedge. And if you really want to get down to it string your own recurve with the guts of a deer that you stabbed with a spear made from your own larger chipped arrow heads and larger stick from said hedge.

This issue is pretty simple IMO. Probably a lot higher % of slob hunters, law breakers and egregious violators during shotgun. Only so much a guy can do by himself with a bow. Nothing wrong with law abiding shotgun hunters. I enjoy doing a little shotgun hunting but obviously prefer bow a whole lot more.

Side note, sure- I shake my head when some neighbors blast everything that moves with armies of dudes, all the deer run on my farm and usually don't come back to theirs to quick BUT they sure can do whatever they want if they are obeying the laws. I do get a laugh that they get 30 minutes of hunting with 20 guys in a day & maybe a day or 2 after that before they don't see squat VS me sitting 600 yards away and seeing countless deer hour after hour, night after night.

I won't ever deer drive my land but as long as the other guy isn't breaking the laws, have at it. I will also say, as a landowner, my level of "nervousness" about trespassing & poaching goes about X10 during shotgun 1 & 2 vs Bow season. It's a shame it's like that but that's because of common sense of knowing the #'s of guys are out with flying lead and a lot don't obey the laws. Sure- bad apples in every group though, I'll be a little relieved when we can get past the flying lead. Oh- and ya- I have had 2 experiences with whizzing bullets past me, scary but I guess it goes with the turf if you decide to be out there.

Yes you are going to see trespassing more in a 3 week period of shotgun hunting is because of one, the number of hunters in the field.

Yet, lets not forget about how many trespassers there are during bow season. One they are able to go out for 3 months and can pick days were landowners may not be around which allows them to trespass without being caught. They also are not in bright orange like shotgunners who stick out like a sore thumb.

And lets not act like you guys are not on more alert of land and ground when shotgun season comes, which allows you to see trespassers. Yet, if you devoted your equal amount of time to protecting your land during bow season you don't think you would see the same amount of trespassers? Come on now.

Let's not ruin a season that has been here for sometime. It allows those that are not able to spend hours in the stand, extra money on bow, arrows, camo, equipment to be able to put meat in the freezer.

Shotgun season tresspassing doesnt even come close to shed poaching tresspassing. For the most part shotgun hunters arent bad. You will drive by 10 groups of guys who all wave and all is good. Then you drive by that one group that is doing bad stuff and it is etched in your mind forever.

Plenty of bad apples in all groups of hunters though.

This issue is pretty simple IMO. Probably a lot higher % of slob hunters, law breakers and egregious violators during shotgun. Only so much a guy can do by himself with a bow. Nothing wrong with law abiding shotgun hunters. I enjoy doing a little shotgun hunting but obviously prefer bow a whole lot more.

Side note, sure- I shake my head when some neighbors blast everything that moves with armies of dudes, all the deer run on my farm and usually don't come back to theirs to quick BUT they sure can do whatever they want if they are obeying the laws. I do get a laugh that they get 30 minutes of hunting with 20 guys in a day & maybe a day or 2 after that before they don't see squat VS me sitting 600 yards away and seeing countless deer hour after hour, night after night.

I won't ever deer drive my land but as long as the other guy isn't breaking the laws, have at it. I will also say, as a landowner, my level of "nervousness" about trespassing & poaching goes about X10 during shotgun 1 & 2 vs Bow season. It's a shame it's like that but that's because of common sense of knowing the #'s of guys are out with flying lead and a lot don't obey the laws. Sure- bad apples in every group though, I'll be a little relieved when we can get past the flying lead. Oh- and ya- I have had 2 experiences with whizzing bullets past me, scary but I guess it goes with the turf if you decide to be out there.

You mean like this guy I caught on my trail camera. Happens to be a bow hunter (The only ones I've had a problem with on my ground). I thought about hiding his identity by blotching out his eyes, but he pisses me off, it appears that he is even waving to my camera.

picture.php

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom