Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Field report

Dbltree - 12 does isn't bad, good going. We have only shot 5 so far, but I think we will add to that next week during the rifle season. It should have been at least 8, more like 10, but there have been a few misses along the way.
grin.gif

The sunrise looked "toasty" but doggone it the wind had a pretty good "bite" to it...
smirk.gif

Redsuninmorn.jpg

Sat there looking over these hills thinking how much prettier they would be if they were covered with...
SNOW!
smile.gif

Hillside.jpg

Oh well...maybe next year....

Deer started moving at 6:45 this morning...just see their bodies in the dark. Get's my imagination going cause they were bigun's
cool.gif

7:36 the fawns wandered in, ate, bedded down...everything but shake hands with me...
grin.gif

Fawns.jpg

So many deer it would be better to take the fawns as well but I can't bring myself to shoot one of the little fellas...don't reckon I ever will...

Littlefellas.jpg

You know what they say about "best laid plans"...
smirk.gif

Figured I could easily fill another tag with a SE wind and judging by the routes they had been taking...but ohhh nooo
crazy.gif

Dang things slipped around me thru the thick stuff...and laughed all the way to their destination I'm sure
blush.gif

Don't let the mild weather fool ya...it's on the way out...big time!

Better get the Long Johns back out for the late antlerless season!
shocked.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Today: Mostly sunny, with a high near 43. Breezy, with a south wind between 16 and 20 mph, with gusts as high as 28 mph.

Tonight: Mostly clear, with a low around 35. Breezy, with a south wind between 17 and 21 mph, with gusts as high as 29 mph.

Thursday: A 40 percent chance of rain after noon. Increasing clouds, with a high near 45. Breezy, with a south wind between 15 and 21 mph, with gusts as high as 29 mph. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.

Thursday Night: Rain likely. Cloudy, with a low around 33. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New rainfall amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.

Friday: Rain likely before noon, then freezing rain and sleet likely between noon and 3pm, then snow likely after 3pm. Cloudy, with a high near 35. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

Friday Night: A 40 percent chance of snow. Cloudy, with a low around 25.

Saturday: A chance of rain and snow. Cloudy, with a high near 30. Chance of precipitation is 40%.

Saturday Night: A chance of snow. Cloudy, with a low around 21.

Sunday: A chance of snow. Cloudy, with a high near 26.

Sunday Night: A slight chance of snow. Cloudy, with a low around 13.

M.L.King Day: Partly cloudy, with a high near 24.

Monday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 5.
Tuesday: Sunny, with a high near 22.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't forget to get your 2007 Hunting License if you plan on hunting after today!
waytogo.gif

As the sun set on the last day of the 2006 late season, I had at least visions of being like Muddy
cool.gif

Lastevening.jpg

but all I saw was one very crippled doe hobbling by. The result of "lead lobbers" I suspect...
smirk.gif

CrippledDoe.jpg

I grew up carrying a shotgun just about everywhere around the farm...but now days I'm just not that much of a "firearm fan"
smirk.gif

I really don't care for the rifle season but my son being the
2guns.gif
type thinks it's pretty cool
cool.gif

If your gonna use em...at least know where they're gonna hit!
waytogo.gif

I really like these targets because you can see a "hit" a hundred yards away!
smile.gif

VisiShot.jpg

I got out the Kick Killer pad and set up our "poor mans" Shooting Bench

KillKick.jpg

and Jr commenced to
rambo.gif
grin.gif

243.jpg

Here's a link for Trajectory Inputs and Trajectory Terms

and some info on adjusting your scope and more Practical Ballistics info.

More Ballistics Charts

Dang kid...he's buying the shells next time!
icon_sumo.gif

280.jpg

Don't guess this bucket will hold much water now
grin.gif

Had to set it at a 130 yards rather then a hundred cause the wind kept blowing the whole mess over
smirk.gif

Target.jpg

I saw a boat load of deer on the drive over this morning in the dark...you would think nobody had killed a deer in this country
confused.gif

The highway is literally blood stained and carcasses litter the roadside...wonder how that's going over with the ins. lobby...
crazy.gif

After daylight though it was...how can I describe it...

dead...
crazy.gif

I think we'll let em calm down for awhile and then Jr can have a go at it with his
rambo.gif
grin.gif

Please remember to use even more caution if you get your rifle out next week. They can carry a long ways and blasting at a running deer is a good way to kill somebody
nono.gif

I'd say the "heat wave" is officially over!
smirk.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Tonight: A slight chance of snow and sleet. Cloudy, with a low around 13. Wind chill values between zero and 5. North wind between 10 and 13 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

Saturday: A chance of snow and sleet after noon. Cloudy, with a high near 31. North wind between 7 and 11 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

Saturday Night: Snow and sleet likely. Cloudy, with a low around 23. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

Sunday: Snow likely. Cloudy, with a high near 26. Chance of precipitation is 70%.

Sunday Night: Snow likely. Cloudy, with a low around 14. Chance of precipitation is 70%.

M.L.King Day: A 30 percent chance of snow. Cloudy, with a high near 18.

Monday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 2.

Tuesday: Partly cloudy, with a high near 18.

Tuesday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 2.

Wednesday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 20.

Wednesday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 9.

Thursday: Partly cloudy, with a high near 30.

[/ QUOTE ]

Goodluck and becareful if your going after the baldies this weekend!
waytogo.gif

I for one, want to say thanks for making this past season even more enjoyable with this thread. Hopefully you will pick right back up were you left off come next season. Good luck to your son and those other that will be trying to fill the feezer on last time with the rifle Thanks again.
peace.gif

Great post Paul. Thanks for taking the time to take pics and post your experiences in the field with us. Due to some "projects" I didn't get to hunt much this year. Your post has helped me through the days I couldn't be out there chasing them. By the way, what did you do with your spare time BEFORE you found Ia Whitetail.com?
grin.gif
Thanks again.

[ QUOTE ]
By the way, what did you do with your spare time BEFORE you found Ia Whitetail.com?
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

grin.gif
I worked...ALL the time
smirk.gif
I've finally reached a point in my life where work is a part of my life rather then all of it
cool.gif

Which means I can spend time teasing all of you about "being stuck in the office"
evil.gif

I may have another post in me by the end of the late season but either way...

I want to thank all of you for putting up with my teasing and blah blah "reports"
grin.gif

It was a fun way to keep a diary of sorts and I appreciate all of your kind comments on here as well as the emails and PM's

Thanks everybody!
waytogo.gif

At least give us one more post with some sheds, I hate to see it end! Thanks for making this post so much fun for me to follow. You make me wonder if I am working too much.....?

[ QUOTE ]
At least give us one more post with some sheds, I hate to see it end! Thanks for making this post so much fun for me to follow. You make me wonder if I am working too much.....?

[/ QUOTE ]

"The sun was just rising when...I saw it...a shed antler gleaming in the morning sun"
grin.gif

Dang...that gave me a little shiver
cool.gif

Saturday morning the weather report looked pretty dicey so being the good hubby that I am, I took my wife to work (much to my sons dismay because he had hoped to go hunting
smirk.gif
)

It was just breaking day when I returned home and I couldn't believe my eyes when I passed a corn stubble field that was literally covered with deer
bigshock.gif

After all the seasons, all the shooting, chasing and carrying on...you would think not a deer had been taken
smirk.gif

Later I watched as a group did the usual "chase and blast" routine...with no idea what they were shooting at.

With all the modern optics available to us today I would strongly encourage all those participating in the late antlerless to...use them.

If your going to push deer...do it slowly and put the binocs or scope on those deer.

Check for button bucks or shed bucks before pulling the trigger.

I passed on a big lone deer the other morning for that reason...it's not worth it...........

I was beginning to think winter was never going to happen...

but it finally showed up, although a little late
smirk.gif

Winterfinally.jpg

We would have been better off taking does out the kitchen window...

KitchenWindow.jpg

but that hardly seems challenging...so

we watched them from 400 yards a way
crazy.gif

400yards.jpg

No shortage of turkeys...
cool.gif

FieldofTurkeys.jpg

Changes spots and all we saw were fawns...

Fawn2.jpg

one after another...

Fawn.jpg

did I mention the bucks...
smirk.gif

8Ptltantlerless.jpg

Kinda hard to see...gee to bad...
evil.gif

We all knew if we had snow and cold in the late MZ season we would have seen many more bucks then we did.

My son and I saw one lousy spike all thru late December to Jan 10th
crazy.gif

Pile up some snow...and they came out of the woodwork! We didn't manage to take anymore does but seeing all those bucks knowing season is over...made it worth being out there.

Of course it's always worth being in the outdoors... just letting the world pass you by
cool.gif

Only 252 days until October 1st!!
waytogo.gif

Top Bottom