Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Foi 3/2/11

Iowa

Jdubs likes hunting in Iowa. He can hunt all seven days of the week here. He also states he lets resident hunters hunt his land. My guess is they are neighboring landowners, and they probably do party hunt shotgun season. Many nrlo's do this; although many will deny it.

Cedarcreek: I think we understand that you are not a fan of the PA rule...not hunting on Sundays.... but it is irrevelant in terms of comparison to Iowa. Let me say, that I think it is wrong to pursue legal action to obtain more hunting rights in Iowa. I personally will live by whatever rules you (the State of Iowa) set. If Iowa decides to grant a tag to landowners with 80 acres...great I am happy, if not so be it.

I think your best approach is to work with NR and to negotiate (since they have supposedly become powerful with endless pockets of cash). Set the entry bar very high and see what FOI really wants....maybe you can negotiate with them a solution to this never ending battle??

Cedar knows all! I hunt my property for a buck each year, let residents manage the does and plant food plots and they help during shotgun while i wait for bow tag! Dont care either way about nrlo tags. I just dont want outfitters for neighbors. I dont want more nr tags, this is what will ruin iowa!!!!:thrwrck:

Cedar knows all! I hunt my property for a buck each year, let residents manage the does and plant food plots and they help during shotgun while i wait for bow tag! Dont care either way about nrlo tags. I just dont want outfitters for neighbors. I dont want more nr tags, this is what will ruin iowa!!!!:thrwrck:

"they help during shotgun" - does that mean in exchange for hunting your farm , you are given the opportunity to fill one of their buck tags each year on a "party hunt"? This seems to be a fairly common (I realize some NRLO choose not to do this from an ethical perspective-I respecct them for that choice) practice for NRLO, with this loophole, it doesn't appear to be very difficult for a NRLO to be able to hunt their farm each year.

Duck, I like to archery hunt mostly. I put in for preference points and buy a NR landowner doe tag. I come to Iowa in December, hunt my doe and patrol my property. I have a relative who puts in strictly for shotgun and has drawn a tag every other year for the most part. I think one time it took two years to draw the shotgun tag. The residents who hunt my place are there when I am not. One archery hunts and the other, believe it or not, I permit to trap. The trapping hurts a little but the relationship is worth more to me. I don't party hunt because I like the solitude of simply sitting without anyone else around. Again, Cedar throws out assumptions that are not accurate.

Cedarcreek:
I think your best approach is to work with NR and to negotiate (since they have supposedly become powerful with endless pockets of cash). Set the entry bar very high and see what FOI really wants....maybe you can negotiate with them a solution to this never ending battle??

They have never been close and I don't think they ever will be. Nothing to negotiate. They do spend money in Iowa trying to change thing and I suppose we should thank them for sending there cash to our state. ;)

They have never been close and I don't think they ever will be. Nothing to negotiate. They do spend money in Iowa trying to change thing and I suppose we should thank them for sending there cash to our state. ;)

I was at the IBA meeting the other morning and one of the DNR members thought we should negotiate also.

He thought we should propose NRLOs a garaunteed anysex tag every other year in exchange for public hunting on the NRLO property in the off years.

The perfect compromise, it solves access issues and herd managment in one swoop. They truely are "Friends of Iowa"... right?

Sounds good to me!:drink2:

Last edited:
Public hunting by local already happening

I was at the IBA meeting the other morning and one of the DNR members thought we should negotiate also.

He thought we should propose NRLOs a garaunteed anysex tag every other year in exchange for public hunting on the NRLO property in the off years.

The perfect compromise, it solves access issues and herd managment in one swoop. They truely are "Friends of Iowa"... right?

Sounds good to me!:drink2:

This already is happening, local trespassers were on my farm all fall, so it was public hunting already:drink2:

Iowa

Not all FOI members are NR. If your group takes that approach (nothing to negotiate) I believe you will find yourself with 6000 additional tags in the future. The DNR seems to support this, and now a counter group has emerged, so if you do not know how politics works, then don't looked shocked if there a bunch more tags in the future.

Politics is about compromise, if you don't offer one, they will probably just implement the most extreme change. If you cannot offer extra revenue for the state, then they will more than likely quit listening to you.

And "no" I am not a FOI member, nor will I ever be one.

I am not saying that I agree with any of this, fight for what you believe in, but I am realist and the winds of change are in the air.

There is something NRLO and RLO can agree on, the trespass fine is not remotely close to stout enough to deter the clowns that choose to tresspass. Why doesn't FOI stump for changes in that legislation?

As far as NRLO farms being available to the public in off years if they are given the opportunity for an anysex tag every other year, I know I would not be participating if I were a NRLO. I wish there could be a compromise, but it seems like most of the money behind this is interested in one thing only, and it isn't the long term benefits of deer hunting in Iowa for residents or non-residents.

I'm sure there are NRLO that are good guys that want to do the right thing, but the most vocal of the NRLO (this is not a reference to any NRLO that posts on this site - this is a reference to specific individuals that own ground in my area) that are pouting and throwing money around trying to get there way just come across as a bunch of spoiled brats.

I didn't cry like a baby when I paid $600 for an elk tag in Colorado and I didn't cry when it took me three years to get a tag. The rules should stay as they are.

I didn't cry like a baby when I paid $600 for an elk tag in Colorado and I didn't cry when it took me three years to get a tag. The rules should stay as they are.

Well said Tim Hull. You knew the rules before buying the farm and then come here and change the rules. I live in Colorado and have a farm in Iowa you dont here me crying about not being able to hunt. I knew this when I moved to Colorado.

Its a good wind just gotta get it in your favor! Talk with your neighbors, make friends and you will have more land than you could ever hunt!!:drink2:OH thats right some of you think that it is not ethical when a nr party hunts with residents on nr land!:moon:

This is what I dont get. There are whitetails in almost every state. So why come to Iowa spend money on land, spend time traveling to get to your land, spend time and money trying to get things change? Things that have made Iowa a great state to hunt.

Why dont you use you time money and resources to make the states you live in great places to hunt?

That works two ways. So if Iowa is a great state to hunt then why do you guys hunt MO, Kansas and Neb. Oh I know because tags are cheap and you
can get one every year.

That works two ways. So if Iowa is a great state to hunt then why do you guys hunt MO, Kansas and Neb. Oh I know because tags are cheap and you
can get one every year.
I've never hunted any of the three states you mentioned for deer; nor do i have the desire to. I have hunted Nebraska for pheasant and geese, but only because they offered a better hunting opportunity for those species than i could get in Iowa at the time. I might add i had to pay alot more to hunt those species also. I would be interested in the stats on Iowans hunting deer in those three states. I bet it is much lower than you imagine.

I hope the outfitting never goes crazy like Illinois. I am fine with their right to do it BUT I'd sell my land in a nano-second if they popped up by my farm. Some are GREAT but MOST are cash-flowing their leases by putting WAY WAY too many guys through who end up shooting WAY WAY too many 2.5 and 3.5 year olds. 90% of the outfitters ruin the land. Again, not knocking their right to do it and some are good BUT the avg outfitter will have me selling my farm next to their ground instantly. I hope the regulations do not change where it turns Iowa into Illinois. I hunted IL for 6 years and I'll NEVER EVER EVER go back even though I can still hunt there. Whatever side of the argument you are on, outfitting going wild will ruin this place.

Also, remember Pike county, IL and many other counties peaking at $5,000 per acre for hunting land about 3 years ago. It's because of their regs. IA has 5-7% timber (vs far more area in IL) and it'll get gobbled up FAST and prices will wind up higher than IL in my opinion cause so much less timber AND the hunting is so much better. This will also make ground so expensive that 160's are broke up into 40's (because few will be able to afford a 160) and way too many guys are hunting & killing too many bucks.

Whatever side of the issue you are on, those are my 2 main areas of concern: outfitters all over and sky-rocketing land prices. Both will ruin the state for the hunting that currently exists.

Top Bottom