Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

"Frank N. Stein" - the Decoy

applause.gif

muddy gives that two thumbs up
waytogo.gif
waytogo.gif

Better put an orange vest on that thing so you don't get shot carrying it into the woods. Good work outta you..

Excellent Decoy!!!!!!!!!!! Great job.

If you havent read it you should read the book "Decoying Whitetails" by Tom Storm. Great book, right up your alley............

Pharmer that is what I thought too.They would come in multiple vollies.INCOMING,hit the deck!
grin.gif

I don't plan on using "Frank" when there's any kind of gun season going on. I know that doesn't elimimate the drive by shooting, but I don't plan to hunt anywhere you can see from the road. I have a camo bag that he'll fit into when he's in pieces so he won't be visible when I'm hauling him around.

I thought about using my hair bleach and writing "DECOY" on his sides but decided there was no point in doing it since most of the Good Ol' Boys that road hunt can't read.
crazy.gif

I like it. I think it may have been easier to bondo some real ears to some plastic liners, then bondo in the square peg. Take it as a suggestion for future projects. I'm sure Frankie II will be created in some monster garage! It's just too cool to let go.

What do you see as a possible reason to remove it from the form? Other than a buck smashing it.

As for scent. I save a couple sets of tarsal glands from rutting bucks each year. (frozen) If it were mine I'd thaw them out and rub them into the hide of the decoy.

I seen coyote decoys made this way and they are the ticket for sharp eyed dogs.

Now lets take it a step further and add some motion to ol' Frankie.

Me? I'm far to busy!

Scout, The reason I made the hide removable is to let the hide dry out if it gets wet. Also, I didn't want to glue it on because of the chemical odor that might linger.

As for the ears, I had tried two other sets of ears that failed miserably. The bondo gets fragile and breaks easily. I had thought of different ways to do the ears so I could move them in different positions but couldn't get that to work either. The one place I did use glue was the ears. I used hot glue to attach the hide to the ears. The hot glue has very little scent in it so I wasn't as worried about using it.

Who knows, If this one works well, I may try to make another one. I wish I could use something to make it move but it's illegal in Missouri to use a mechanical decoy for deer hunting.

doah.gif
. Pharmer, don't give him any ideas. This is the guy who wanted to sew a stuffed squirl on his hat so when he moved his head around and a deer looked the deer wouldn't think anything of it. Oh boy, now I've done it. I can feel a horses a$$ comment coming on...

Some of the cheap-o hide paste I've used has no scent. I figured if it takes up to 10 days for a hide to dry to a deer form that if Frankie got rained on a day in the sun would be enough?

You know, I might have to revive that squirrel on the hat idea. I might even upgrade it to a turkey for those early morning hunts. I can see it know. I'll use a hen so I can sit up there and make soft tree yelps if a deer spots me. They'll never know what hit 'em.
shocked.gif

I wonder what kind of reaction you'd get if you had a turkey sitting on your head and some other hunter walked by?

"PSSST....Hey, buddy....up here. You mind going another dir....." (sounds of running) "Geez, what's his problem?"
30577-rotflmao1.gif

Top Bottom