Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Free tags for NR landowners

-Eliminate all governor's tags. Sorry Bill Jordan, Drury's, Primos's, etc. The state of Iowa doesn't need to be "promoted" for deer hunting. For what reason should Blake Shelton get a governor's tag? Does playing the guitar and singing make him more deserving of a tag? If all of you on this board aer so supportive of the average Joe struggling to scrape by and go hunting, you should screaming for the governor's tag to be done away with, just as you rabidly denounce any concession made to Non-residents, no matter how insignificant.

I say they auction all those tags off instead of giving them away. Heck they go for about 2500 for the ones they auction off right?? IA does not need anymore advertising for big deer last I checked. :way:

This will fall on deaf ears because anyone in IBA/IWF will refuse to listen to anything but:

-increase NR tag numbers to say, 9,000 or 10,000. It's a pretty meager increase. You would potentially be staring at another $2mil in revenue. Because apparently nobody in the state of Iowa can afford to buy their own land to hunt on or feels that the land they currently hunt is going to get gobbled up by non-residents, use that money to buy more land for public hunting. Get creative with the funding from the legislature, make some cuts here and there, that $2mil goes a long ways in securing roughly 1,000 acres per year. That's just off the extra NR license sales. I'd suspect there would be a small bump in tax revenue and economic growth off hotel rooms and other NR expenditures.

-Grant one preference point to landowners in every draw. Landowners are taxpayers. That should count for something. Taxpayers and Joe Blow from Pennsylvania or Texas are not equal and should not be treated as such. Non-landowners would have the opportunity to draw a tag but would not have the same success rates as non-landowners.

-Same price of doe tags for NR landowners as residents pay. If Iowa is really serious about getting the herd thinned out, charging $150 or whatever it is for a doe tag is not going to get it done if they want support from non-residents. That sends the wrong message. Heck, if they're really serious about getting numbers down, the cost should basically be whatever it cost to print the tag and run the registration process, for anyone buying a doe tag in Iowa.

-remove the 35% cap on archery tags. it's pointless.

-Eliminate all governor's tags. Sorry Bill Jordan, Drury's, Primos's, etc. The state of Iowa doesn't need to be "promoted" for deer hunting. For what reason should Blake Shelton get a governor's tag? Does playing the guitar and singing make him more deserving of a tag? If all of you on this board aer so supportive of the average Joe struggling to scrape by and go hunting, you should screaming for the governor's tag to be done away with, just as you rabidly denounce any concession made to Non-residents, no matter how insignificant.

I just laugh at how non-resident sportsmen aren't supposed to buy land. And then non-resident investors are chastised for buying land. If no Iowa residents can afford it, whos going to buy it? Land prices aren't going to magically deflate to what they were 10 or 5 years ago. Today is the lowest prices you will see for land for forever. The same for tomorrow. And 6 months and a year from now. It's only going up.
Buy what land you can find. You're welcome to it, and i hope you pay the premium price for good whitetail habitat. Just don't expect resident hunters to support the yearly anysex tags for you. I own a great piece of land with quality hunting. I'm sure there is more to go around. I can tell you that you had better be willing to invest in a large acreage; because there aren't any deals of you hunt my land, and i'll hunt yours in my area. If you purchase 40 or 80 acres in Iowa as a non-resident; you will need to somehow convince the neighboring farmers that you have the best intentions. Somehow drawing tags every three years isn't going to do that. Family farm values still run pretty deep where i come from. Deep pockets don't always get the sale!

I say they auction all those tags off instead of giving them away. Heck they go for about 2500 for the ones they auction off right?? IA does not need anymore advertising for big deer last I checked. :way:

This would still perpetuate the 'pay to play' system so many of you are against, is it not? Just sayin'..

This would still perpetuate the 'pay to play' system so many of you are against, is it not? Just sayin'..

It would possibly, NR's coming to IA to hunt are not after a doe and heck if they are, come down to MO where you can get 2 deer and 2 turkeys for half the price of your IA bow tags. :way:

What may help that is if they lowered the tags, but still make NR's draw regardless, but there goes some of their revenue at the same time. Kinda of a hard spot for the DNR since that is where they make their money.

If NR's are allowed to buy land and get a tag every year, the southern 1/3 of IA would have a lot more NR's owning land which would not be good for the residents up there and they should have first dibs under the circumstances. If all of IA was like southern IAs habitat it would not be much of an issue IMO. BTW I hunt on ground in IA owned by a man in GA that bought it soley for hunting and a buddy of his just bought 250 across the road for the same reason (wayne county).

Last edited:
I think the DNR should raise the price of a normal non-resident tag to $1000 then let the NRLO "draw" a tag for $500.Then they would think they are getting something for owning land here.
But its a mute point beings the bill didn't pass and I seriously doubt it ever will.All the non-resdients can argue all they want about what it should be but they have NO votes.

Why not just pass laws saying non-residents can't buy land in Iowa? Wouldn't that solve all of your crying and whining? You will take a non-residents taxes, tag fees, and money spent in the state of Iowa but you don't want them to enjoy themselves too much.

Speaking of whining and crying. Why don't NRLO with your attitude just accept things for what they are. Your failure to see the big picture is not surprizing. The mission and efforts of IWF are being fought for NRLOs just as much as they are for residents. In the end things will be what they will be, good luck. By the way their is currently a law that says NRLO's draw for a tag just like every other NR. Nothing as changed since you bought. Please no more crying here.

-Same price of doe tags for NR landowners as residents pay. If Iowa is really serious about getting the herd thinned out, charging $150 or whatever it is for a doe tag is not going to get it done if they want support from non-residents. That sends the wrong message. Heck, if they're really serious about getting numbers down, the cost should basically be whatever it cost to print the tag and run the registration process, for anyone buying a doe tag in Iowa.

-remove the 35% cap on archery tags. it's pointless.

The deer natural resource belongs to the public not the king. In Iowa if you vote you are the public. Buy a house here and get a job, maybe you would be a happy man. Iowa is a beuatiful and I am sure you would enjoy residency here. Sorry if I got outa line.

Have we ever discussed the legislature’s reticence at purchasing more ground for public use? In fact there was a every short lived bill introduced this year that would sell off most of the public ground Iowa has. The legislature will never back more direct ground purchases for public use because it will take the land out of production and therefore off the tax rolls.

I am not sure the mechanism groups like PF and NWTF use to purchase land in conjunction with the state. I believe this is about the only way we will expand public hunting in Iowa, not through expanded income from expanded sales of NR tags at the cost of access for residents.

The 'Bonker

Top Bottom