Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Free tags for NR landowners

dbltree

Super Moderator
Banning mineral licks should be the least of your worries friends...no need for it anyhow when you end up with no place to hunt....:(

Free NR landowner tag

Better take time to contact legislators or kiss your hunting spots good bye...

Brand new one.
Has not been assigned to a HNRC sub committee

House File 2312 - Introduced
HOUSE FILE BY SWAIM
A BILL FOR 1 An Act relating to the issuance of any sex deer licenses to 2 certain nonresident landowners. 3 BE IT ENACTED BY THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF THE STATE OF IOWA: TLSB 5930YH (3) 83 jr/scPAG LIN 1 1 Section 1. Section 483A.8, subsection 5, Code Supplement 1 2 2009, is amended to read as follows: 1 3 5. A nonresident owning land and paying property taxes 1 4 on that land in this state may apply for a annually purchase 1 5 one nonresident antlered or any sex deer hunting license, 1 6 and the provisions of subsection 3 shall apply. However, if 1 7 a nonresident owning land in this state is unsuccessful in 1 8 obtaining one of the nonresident antlered or any sex deer 1 9 hunting licenses, the landowner shall be given preference 1 10 for one of the antlerless deer only nonresident deer hunting 1 11 licenses available pursuant to subsection 3. A nonresident 1 12 owning land in this state and paying property taxes on that 1 13 land shall pay the fee for a nonresident antlerless only deer 1 14 hunting license and the license shall be valid to hunt on 1 15 the nonresident's land only. If one or more parcels of land 1 16 have multiple nonresident owners, only one of the nonresident 1 17 owners owner who is listed as the taxpayer of the land is 1 18 eligible for a nonresident antlerless only deer hunting 1 19 license. If a nonresident jointly owns land in this state 1 20 with a resident, the nonresident shall not be given preference 1 21 for a nonresident antlerless only deer hunting license. The 1 22 department may require proof of land ownership and property 1 23 taxpayer status from a nonresident landowner applying for a 1 24 nonresident antlerless only deer hunting license. 1 25 EXPLANATION 1 26 Under current law, a nonresident owning land in this state 1 27 may purchase a nonresident antlered or any sex deer hunting 1 28 license, subject to the 6,000 license cap. This bill would 1 29 allow a nonresident landowner who is listed as the property 1 30 taxpayer on that land to buy one any sex deer hunting license 1 31 every year to hunt deer on that land. The license cap remains 1 32 in place. LSB 5930YH (3) 83 jr/sc

IF i read that right it reads to me like it screws the DIY NR too, by taking up extra tags out of the only 6K available.

If this thing passes, I know two guys that will buy ground the day after it passes. This is the only thing holding them back right now. Land is cheap to them.

E-mails sent.Thanks for posting.If this passes it would be the final straw that runed deer hunting in Iowa.The only thing I can see is the fact that they HAVE to pay property taxes to be eligible.Most of the non-resident land owners now don't pay taxes.They put their land in a forest reserve program.

Even folks with forest reserve and no taxes on it have some tillable somewhere on the farm- fairly rare to see all timbered tracts.
I skimmed through this. Is this likely? Bottom line from all the jargon above in simple terms and likelihood? thanks!

E-mails sent.Thanks for posting.If this passes it would be the final straw that runed deer hunting in Iowa.The only thing I can see is the fact that they HAVE to pay property taxes to be eligible.Most of the non-resident land owners now don't pay taxes.They put their land in a forest reserve program.

I would have to guess that "paying taxes", and "forest reserve" are the same thing............unfortunately.

"IF i read that right it reads to me like it screws the DIY NR too, by taking up extra tags out of the only 6K available. "

All things being the same just as residents have benefits NR landowners should have precedence over a non-landowning NR. Why not SELL the 6K NR tags to NR landowners first then the balance to other NR's. Tags stay limited to 6K and the threat of NR's "buying up all the ground" is thwarted due to there only being 6K NR tags allocated. DNR gets their revenue and resident opposition groups keep their 6K cap.

Last edited:
I don't think I want 6000 nonresident landowners JDUBS :) I would rather have 6000 folks in a lottery because it would be hard for a lot of them to justify buying ground that you can only hunt once in a while.

I would have to guess that "paying taxes", and "forest reserve" are the same thing............unfortunately.

Some ways probably the same, others different. I was talking to someone who sells a deer hunting lease on some ground. He was telling me that he got into a little predicament because you can't make money from "forest reserve" ground in any fashion, unlike CRP. So what did they do? They raised the per acre lease rate on the ag ground and "gave away" the forest reserve acres for "free".

"IF i read that right it reads to me like it screws the DIY NR too, by taking up extra tags out of the only 6K available. "

All things being the same just as residents have benefits NR landowners should have precedence over a non-landowning NR. Why not SELL the 6K NR tags to NR landowners first then the balance to other NR's. Tags stay limited to 6K and the threat of NR's "buying up all the ground" is thwarted due to there only being 6K NR tags allocated. DNR gets their revenue and resident opposition groups keep their 6K cap.

All this would do is move us closer to the privatization of the deer resourse. Any move toward NR landowner privlegdes is a negative for management of the deer herd in Iowa and Iowas deer hunting heritage. Complete no brainer! To think they would try to do this to the detrement of other NR hunters who are getting screwed by rediculous tag fees already is pretty sad. Of course after all of the 6000 tags where going only to NR land owners you would have to up the NR tag allocations simply to be fair to all!!

Some ways probably the same, others different. I was talking to someone who sells a deer hunting lease on some ground. He was telling me that he got into a little predicament because you can't make money from "forest reserve" ground in any fashion, unlike CRP. So what did they do? They raised the per acre lease rate on the ag ground and "gave away" the forest reserve acres for "free".
Yep! You can't lease forest reserve acres. But who monitors that? I know of one property that has been doing it for years now.

Hmmm, I know of a 1 acre parcel directly adacent to 500 acres of public hunting ground. Ground where the DNR leaves standing corn. I could only imagine what that land would be worth if this passes...

After sleeping on this over night..I can't think of a reason the state would even consider passing this law to allow non-residents to get land owner tags.There are hundreds of non-resident land owners now that at least spend money on tags.Would they give up all that revenue? And how would they control it anyway? Take for an example.Terry Drury sells his brother Mark 5 acres of his land. How do the game wardens monitor him so he is only hunting on that 5 acres.

Bill won't pass

It seems like this type of bill comes up every year and it never passes. I used to own land in Iowa as a non-resident, and I will probably buy some again the future, but I have seen this bill and similar bills come and go. Not likely that it will pass, the reason--no added money involved.

I agree with Hardwood. Every year this stuff gets filed to satisfy some lobbyist, but it will not come close to passing. Fun to debate though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom