Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

friends of iowa news article..here they come

Ok, I just could not stand it any more after reading this terrible reply from Mr Herring, so this is the e-mail I just sent him. I hope it wasn't disrepectful but I needed to say it and I hope Willie and Blindsow and any other DNR personel here won't take it personal but maybe pass it on to anyone else with in the IDNR who might be able to help our cause. I know it is long but bear with me, please.

Dear Mr. Herring

I am writing this in response to recent activities on the issue of Non Resident hunting privileges and Non-Resident landowners. From an article in the Daily Iowegian it appears that after a closed meeting with a group called Friends of Iowa you have basically endorsed this group’s claims that they are being treated unfairly and should have the very same rights and privileges as resident Iowa landowners. I am very confused how this can be? I have several questions for you, as I am a life long Iowa resident and a property owner for approximately 38 of my 60 years of age.

In a response to another Iowa resident, who questioned your standing on this issue, you stated that the Non-resident license quota problem is not going away, and that nonresident landowners are raising the concerns of lawmakers. Question number one is how can a nonresident’s concerns even be of any interest to any Iowa lawmaker, since those nonresidents are not allowed to vote for them, at least the last time I checked? Would not the concerns and wished of tax paying voting Iowa residents take precedent each and every time? Why would any nonresident group, no matter how much money or how strong a lobbyist they have, be allowed to “draft legislation” for the State of Iowa? Why hasn’t our very own Iowa DNR not taken a strong stand on the issue of constantly increasing the number of nonresident any sex deer licenses, instead of actually proposing increases in these quotas?

Another portion of your reply says that because more of Iowa’s forested lands will change hands in the next 10 years that we should allow these new nonresident landowners the same hunting privileges because they pay Iowa taxes and we have too many deer anyway. First let me address the tax issue. The vast majority of these forested lands owned by nonresidents are currently in the forest reserve program that basically makes those acres tax exempt. I believe that this negates that issue. As a suggestion along those lines, why don’t we pass legislation that nonresident land owners can not enroll in the reserve program, and that those nonresident acres be taxed at a 28 percent higher tax rate than those paid by resident land owners for similar acres. This would certainly increase our property tax base because of the certainty of so many nonresidents buying up much of these forested lands.

Moving on to the issue of too many deer in Iowa. How is the correct number of deer determined, and what is our current population? In light of information posted on the IDNR site I would take exception with your statement, whether rhetorical or not, that we have too many deer. I know that it was classified as “only an estimate” but in 2005 we harvested about 211,000 deer with almost 400,000 licenses issued. In 2007 with the new reporting system, there were 146,214 deer killed with 389,163 licenses issued and for 2008 it shows 142,194 total deer harvested, but I could not find any information on licenses issued. How much more population control is necessary considering our success ration has dropped to less than 30 percent and the harvest is rapidly approaching half in just 4 years? Does the IDNR really want to maintain a deer population of only 170,000 animals, as shown as the target population in your graph on your site? That in my viewpoint would mean that we could only expect to harvest about 70,000 deer which if we maintain the 400,000 licenses issued would only yield a success ration of 17.5 percent. If this is the case, why do we need to be concerned about a very few nonresident landowners, when over 80 percent of Iowa’s resident tax paying voters are unsuccessful at harvesting any deer at all? I must add that this 2008 season is the first time since 1974, I believe, that I didn’t personally harvest a deer, even though I had licenses for several seasons.

Just this last week several Iowa news stations have reported that the IDNR has decided against raising resident license fees because of hard economic times, but then in the very same sentence said that the IDNR is proposing to double the number of regular Nonresident any sex deer licenses from the current 6500 to 12,000 and this doesn’t even address the number of antlerless licenses. In 2007 there were almost 15,000 total licenses issued to nonresidents with 6500 being for any sex, or more commonly know, buck licenses. Does that mean that that total number will also double to 30,000 total licenses?

How much Iowa land do we really want owned by nonresidents, who contribute little to nothing to our State, pay little if any property tax, pay no income tax, and have created huge blocks of inaccessible to land which was once huntable by residents? How can you honestly think that this situation will ever get any better if we change the rules that existed when these nonresidents knowingly purchased their land, to grant them equal status with resident landowners? I can only see it becoming much worst, as nonresidents find ways to circumvent even those new rules. As a very simple example, if a nonresident owns 400 acres now, but under the new rules he sells 40 acres to each of 10 people. Now each of these 10 qualifies for a nonresident landowners licenses. There are no real dividing lines or fences to separate individual plots and owner ship, so it becomes unenforceable for a Conservation Officer to know whether that hunter is actually hunting on his own section. So now each of those 10 hunters can really hunt the whole 400 acres with impunity for the buck of their choice every year and can still enter the nonresident lottery for one of the 12,000 buck licenses issued. How will this discourage more nonresidents from doing the same thing after Friends of Iowa explain exactly how to do it on their website, and how many more resident hunters will loose their hunting heritage because the State of Iowa and the IDNR promoted and supported these rule changes?

I know that the overall tone of this letter is pretty harsh and critical, but I believe that I have earned the right after having purchased Iowa hunting and fishing licenses since 1965, being a strong supporter and friend to the IDNR and many of it’s personnel, serving on 2 different Friends groups for the betterment of 2 Iowa State Parks, and acting as an informal self appointed “watch dog” for a large public hunting area near my home. I have been a part of Pheasants Forever and the National Wild Turkey Federation and have tried to help enhance and protect our Iowa outdoors experiences. I respectfully ask that you and the IDNR reconsider their position on this nonresident landowner or nonresident hunter issue and please swing the scale back toward the rights and enhanced hunting experience of the resident hunters and landowners. I understand that this is a complicated issue, but as others have pointed out, we residents are the ones who support you year in and year out, not the nonresidents who will just move on to greener pastures when our deer herd diminishes. If we allow these changes now, these groups like Friends of Iowa will very likely mimic the spoiled five year old child. The child know the rules before going to the grocery store, no candy, then once in the store throws such a fit over a candy bar that the parent relents. Then after a couple of trips where the child gets the candy bar as normal, then the child wants another treat as well as the candy bar and throws another fit until it gets it’s way. The only way to stop this bad behavior is for the parent to take a strong stand and say NO and mean it and stick to it. The same principle applies to this nonresident land owner issue and the bad behavior will only stop when Iowa and the IDNR takes a stand and says NO and means it!

Thank you
Dave Steele
Floris Iowa

Great letter! I think you should carbon copy every individual with an email address on the IDNR site. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif
Critter

Well said Dave.

I feel the same. Resident sportsmen have been supporting the DNR all these years and now they look to P down the legs that have stood them up!

This isn't Illinois is it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoessHillsArcher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How does a guy send an email saying "I agree with him"!!! </div></div>

I rarely agree with something as much as I agree with that email.

Please share if you get a response.

I got inspired and fired one off as well which would have already been done had I not all but given up on Leupold and Herring. Figured you can't dance sitting on your ass though so here it is:

Dear sirs,
I am contacting you both concerning the recent press release regarding NR hunting in Iowa. I'd like to urge both of you to reconsider what I believe to be a poorly chosen path for the deer herd, deer hunting, and land acquisition in the state if Iowa. First, to the issue of allowing NR landowner tags, I believe strongly that you have given in to repeated badgering by special interest groups such as the Friends of Iowa who are consequently, anything but friends. We are talking about a group of individuals who would like nothing more than to buy up tracts of land in our state for all the wrong reasons. It's obvious to me, their intent is to use our past, sound management practices to their advantage by sweeping in and buying land for the sole purpose of harvesting large whitetails. Please explain to me how allowing a NR landowner tag will help your goal to reduce the deer herd when it's all but a foregone conclusion that those properties will be closed off to resident hunting in all but the rarest cases. Folks like these continually use the issue of "fairness" regarding their payment of property taxes like everyone else. I would like to ask however, what does paying a minimal property tax on ag land have to do with the right to hunt in the state of Iowa? We hunt because we are citizens of the state and I believe that was a well crafted decision that should be carried into the future. I was particularly disappointed at your comment- "this isn't going away". Well you know, sometimes things don't go away but that is certainly not a reason to give up on our beliefs and although I can't and won't speak for you, it seems like until recently, our thoughts on the matter were in alignment. What happened?

To add insult to injury, your desire to double the NR tags in the state is troubling to say the least. I'm well aware of your thought to spread those tags out among the counties in some fashion and yet I still believe it's a radical move based soley on economics rather than management of the herd. The DNR has worked for years to raise herd quality to standards unseen in other states so why now the need to follow the crowd into a path of known issues caused by the very moves you're suggesting? I can't begin to understand the pressure you must face from the insurance industry and from other special interest groups and perhaps at times even members of the legislature itself but I must ask you at this difficult time to stand firm for the residents of Iowa and for the wildlife of this state. Sustainable funding, although not yet a reality, seems to have widespread support and is not far around the corner in my opinion. Please consider very carefully the long term results of short term decisions, particularly those that are based upon revenue as it's primary purpose. This is a pivotal moment in the 163 year old chapter of Iowa's natural resources. You have the ability to maintain the work of our past great conservationists and management leaders or to forge a legacy just the opposite. I want to thank you for your time and all of your past efforts and struggles before I leave you with a quote I believe to be prudent at this moment:

"How rich will we be when we have converted all our forests, all our soil, all our water resources and our minerals into cash?"
J.N. "Ding" Darling

Thank you both and best regards,

(Signature Provided)

Here's the response I got from Mr Herrig, nothing from Leopold yet.

Hello Matthew,
Thanks for taking time to let us know your thoughts on this important issue. Currently, the legislature has sole authority on the number of non resident license for deer. Here is the department's position on this issue:

Iowa Department of Natural Resources Position/Approach to the
Non-Resident Any-Sex Deer License Quota
The Department is aware groups, such as The Friends of Iowa-Landowners and Sportsmen, are expressing concern about the limited number of non-resident (NR) licenses available in Iowa. The work of these groups is not new, however, observations have been made that they are getting more organized and they understand how to make changes legislatively. Over the past several years, there have been bills introduced by various legislators to address the issue of NR landowners getting first chance at the current quota of 6,000 NR licenses or to ensure that all NR landowners are guaranteed to get an any-sex deer license.
The Department's response to this issue has been to request that the legislature raise the current quota of 6,000 NR licenses by an additional 6,000. To date, the legislature has held tight to the current cap. The Department's position has remained the same for the past 6 -7 years.
However, this year, the Department's approach has changed. Rather than seek a quota increase from the legislature, we seek the ability for the Department to set the NR quota rather than the legislature. We feel that the Department has expertise and experience in finding the appropriate balance in the different stakeholder perspectives as we do for virtually every other species of wildlife. For example, by increasing the number of zones for non-residents from the current 10 to 99 (to correspond with the number of Iowa counties) and restricting NR licenses between four seasons, it could actually reduce the concentration of NR hunters that recent harvest data suggests is occurring in a few counties. It is too early to tell if this approach will gain support in our legislative package.
The NR quota of 6,000 any-deer has received a lot of attention the past several years and the issue continues to be difficult and in some cases divisive. Many Iowa hunters continue to believe that NR hunters are to blame for the loss of their hunting opportunity. In some areas, this is now supported by deer harvest data. In other areas, Iowa hunters are purchasing land for recreation and are perhaps much of the cause for this shift in land available for hunting. Points to consider regarding a quota increase are that this will provide additional revenue to manage the resources and social and economic benefits would occur. Also, there is no biological evidence the wildlife population would be negatively affected.
Given the momentum of feelings on both sides of this issue, I believe that the current quota of 6,000 will eventually need to be increased. However I would not speculate as to when this may occur. Currently, the legislature has the sole authority on this matter. We have the opportunity to use our expertise and experience to proactively develop compromise that would address the concerns of our resident hunters while helping meet the needs of our nonresident hunters or to wait until the legislature makes the change.
Again, thanks for taking time to let us hear from you.
Ken Herring.

FINAL-COLLAGEflattened.gif

Iowabowhunters.org

hoofline.gif

As many of you are aware I have been politically active when it comes to firearms & hunting related issues in Iowa for many years. I am also very active at the federal level.

This may be the first time ever that I have seen so many IW members getting involved in a proactive manner. Keep up the good work my friends. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

And while you’re at it don’t forget to send Gov. Chet Culver an email telling him how you feel about his selling out the resident hunters in Iowa. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif

hoofline.gif

<span style='font-size: 14pt'>United we can make a difference! Please join & Support the IBA </span>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;Details&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;
398ibalogo_1_.gif

PM
Ron Wyllie
Southwest Iowa IBA Area Representative
[email protected]

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: muddy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> We have the opportunity to use our expertise and experience to proactively develop compromise that would address the concerns of our resident hunters while helping meet the needs of our nonresident hunters </div></div>

I'm not sure I like the phrase "needs of our non-resident hunters" /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

Needs..... or wants?

Man this is getting to be a bunch of B.S. I wonder how many free out of state hunts the FOI give the good ole boys in the Iowa DNR.....

if the legislature gives control to the DNR, there will be no stopping them. the DNR could bump tags another 6000 one year, and then go to unlimited, over the counter tags the next...with no warning, no voting, no input from anybody

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> if the legislature gives control to the DNR, there will be no stopping them. the DNR could bump tags another 6000 one year, and then go to unlimited, over the counter tags the next...with no warning, no voting, no input from anybody </div></div>

Until this State builds up it's amount of public land by 10 fold and places solid regulations on outfitting, I'll never support letting the DNR set non resident tag amounts.

Like the current setup or not, at least we have a voice in the matter now.

Muddy and all the rest of you.

I am rapidly loosing respect for Mr Kenneth Herring. I receiver exactly the same copied form response except that the heading was Thank you for your thoughts Dave. No response from Mr Leupold as of yet and after that one from Mr Herring none is really expected. How much time and effort would it have taken to actually try to address the concerns listed rather than just saying that the legislator should turn over the quota process to the IDNR. The only thing I can say most times the squeaking wheel gets the grease, so if we can become a screeching banshee wailing wheel we can perhaps surpass the influence obviously exerted by FOI. Keep sending them and any of our State Legislators e-mails, regular mail, and phone calls but try to be polite, persuasive, and professionally forceful. Express the actual size of the hunter vote package, 389,163 deer licenses issued in 2007 could easily swell to a half million by the time you add all those who hunt or trap other than deer.

I also had the same exact response from Mr-Herring. Copied and pasted with only the name changed of course. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

My response from Mr. Herring:

Hello Matt:

Thanks for your thoughtful comments on the NR issue. I’ve been busy as you might guess on this issue since the article in the dm register. Mostly, folks agree with your position. However, only a few have mentioned their willingness to pay higher fees to support the work of the fish and wildlife trust fund. I want you to know that I really appreciate this. The work of the trust fund (fish and wildlife conservation) are your programs. You fund them, and they are wonderful examples of conservation by hunters and anglers. I want to attach our official position of the department in an effort to provide you some thoughts about how we would address some of your concerns. Thanks for taking time to write me and your support for the trust fund.

Ken Herring

Any bets Mr. Herring has been monitoring this site and changed his response? I'd say it is 100% for sure.

I need to take exception to Mr. Herring's statement about only a few people made it clear that they would be willing to pay more for licenses. I thought I made it crystal clear to you at the Deer Study Committee meeting that the majority of Iowans would be willing to pay more to keep the NR system the same. Not to mention that the IBA made you well aware of the willingness of bow hunters to pay more long before the Governor made the announcement that license fees would not be raised.

Shame on you Ken. Work for Iowans, not against Iowans.

The 'Bonker

Top Bottom