Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

$ FROM HUSH?

at the locker i take mine to he said he wished all he did was hush deer they make the same money and all they have to do is grind it all.but he wont take frozen deer that are unskinned.

My local Locker in S.E.Iowa tried the HUSH program the first year. He was very upset at the condition of some of the animals that were being dropped off. Very dirty, some looked as if they had been dead for days and drug down the road. I guess if you aren't the one eating it, it makes it easier to not care as much. Really hurts the guys who take the time to get their deer to the locker in good shape. He no longer participates in HUSH and won't even take a deer now unless it is skinned, cleaned, de-boned and chunked. One bad apple rule I guess. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

Good link to a very informative article.

If I had to guess one of several things are gonna happen to the HUSH program.

1: HUSH fees will go up.

2: HUSH program will end.

3: HUSH processing paid for by the hunter.

4: HUSH processing paid for at a reduced rate by the hunter.

5: HUSH deer donations (carcases) reduced if #3 or #4 inacted which would balance the fund at current funding. I'd still have to pay my dollar per license though even if I'm not gonna donate my deer and the deer I would have donated will either 1: rot in the heat before I get it to a locker or 2: get freezer burn and be in violation of the law (if I read the law right)by having extra deer in my freezer when the next season rolls around.

To make up the projected short fall of around 170K it would be nice to see the insurance companies kick in every year. I'd even donate more if the insurance companies matched or doubled what I give.

I guess what I'm trying to say, among other things, is if I have to pay to get the deer processed and donated to HUSH, I'll just keep it and split it up between my family.

In an earlier post I said up the amount paid to the lockers so more would join. Looks like they did but I can't tell if more signed up after the increase in pay/deer. I have no idea of the built in cost to process a deer, but 65 bucks to hack up a carcass and grind it into hamburger seems pretty fair, but again I don't know the overhead the locker has, but I would tend to think it would cash flow. Maybe it is the hassle factor?

I don't want this program to fold, nor do I wanna pay for deer processing just to give it away.

The 'Bonker

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> In an earlier post I said up the amount paid to the lockers so more would join. Looks like they did but I can't tell if more signed up after the increase in pay/deer. I have no idea of the built in cost to process a deer, but 65 bucks to hack up a carcass and grind it into hamburger seems pretty fair, but again I don't know the overhead the locker has, but I would tend to think it would cash flow. Maybe it is the hassle factor?</div></div>

More did join. There were no HUSH lockers in my area until about two years ago. I was fortunate then that the local Whitetails Unlimited Chapter along with other sportsman's groups donated moneys for donated deer and my cost was only $25 to donate a deer. Still not free but better than forking over 100% of the cost. Now there are quite a few more today than when it was first started and I am lucky that I have local lockers that participate.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> 3: HUSH processing paid for by the hunter.</div></div>

Yep, that is what we do today. We hunters are already the ones paying for this. My questions is, why only us? Why not the insurance companies ($1 per insured car) or the Farm Bureau ($1 per member) or others who are pushing for more deer being killed?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yep, that is what we do today. We hunters are already the ones paying for this. My questions is, why only us? Why not the insurance companies ($1 per insured car) or the Farm Bureau ($1 per member) or others who are pushing for more deer being killed? </div></div>

Next time I sit across from FB lobbyist I'll ask that question. I'll do so when legislators are present. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

From what I've heard there is a hassle factor with FDA standards which makes the lockers stop and sanitize all rooms, tools,and machines used to process deer before beef or pork can be brought back in. "Deer Only" lockers would be a good solution and you may see more of these pop up if the processing fees keep climbing. Would be decent coin for someone laid off in the winter that had the right facilities.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elkhunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yep, that is what we do today. We hunters are already the ones paying for this. My questions is, why only us? Why not the insurance companies ($1 per insured car) or the Farm Bureau ($1 per member) or others who are pushing for more deer being killed? </div></div>

Next time I sit across from FB lobbyist I'll ask that question. I'll do so when legislators are present. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif </div></div>

Randy the lobbist at the end of the table did bring this up Monday. He made some referance to the FB gal about a percentage being added to every policy to go towards this. She just nodded her head as if to agree that it was a good idea. Neat to watch the process.

The locker I take mine to had a separate program setup for Bandag in Muscatine. I guess the DNR related money wasn't really enough incentive for him or he was skimming money through Bandag somehow b/c he said it was tough to pay his employees on the $$$ he got for HUSH deer.

I talked with a local Minister and will be donating my time and deer to his church next year. I will end up doing all the processing (steaks, roasts, burger) in order to offer up some different selections for "local-users" of the program.

This was the first year I ever harvested multiple Does because I never had an outlet for the meat. Something about helping the church really rang a bell with me so that's what I plan on doing so I can
1. Satisfy my needs to harvest the amount of Does I want to,
2. Help the state retain money by not over burdening the HUSH program (even though i doubut 10 does would over burden, I feel every little bit helps)
3. Help local people that are in need or have a desire for venison beyond burger.

J&J MEATS in Panora will pick up your deer,they accept HUSH deer as well as custom orders.Professional deer locker.Give them a call for details.641-755-2353.Info can be found on the DNR WEBSITE.

Top Bottom