Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Gas & oil prices

KANSAN

PMA Member
Hey everyone, sorry about this post NOT being whitetail-related but I need to vent about the prices of gasoline and oil. I remember several years ago when gas was $1.75 per gallon and I was complaining about it. Now we're looking at the possibility of $4/gallon by summer. How can the average hard-working American afford this? What is going to bring these fuel prices down? I am just so frustrated about what it's costing me at the pumps. Fuel prices continue to rise, but our wages don't. Where is this country headed??

I was scanning through my H.S. year book a few days ago and they had an average gas price for 2001-2002 school year: $1.16

I remember when I first started driving on my school permit it was around 98 cents.

I agree Jody, it stinks. Hopefully the new president will help us turn the corner...

This is, in fact, whitetail/ hunting related. Think about all the hunting trips we take. Some people's hunting ground is 2-3 hours away and if it takes twice as much $$ to get there than it should then they might not be able to go there as often.

Look at how many of us go out of state to hunt. Especially elk hunting trips out west. A few guys and myself on this sight are going turkey hunting in Kansas this spring. We are going to have to try to cram 3 grown men, bows, blinds, supplies and whatnot in a Ford Focus because it's way too expensive to take a truck.

Something needs to be done, I just hope it's done soon...

I have cut my travel down alot the past two years.

I still go on a few big trips every year but locally I do not drive the back roads like I once did cuz I just can't afford it.

Cheaper to stay home and do something around the house.

i think, if the president REALLY wants to salvage the economy, they can keep that $600 check we are getting here in a couple months, and put a cap on gas prices at $1.75 a gallon. i'm broke as hell, all the time, but if you knocked gas prices down, it would save me alot of money.

i don't see any change coming from the next president. unless nader wins, or the libertarian candidate, and we all know that will never happen. none of the candidates have made too much noise on the topic. that has got to be the golden ticket. if they could actually get gas prices under control, and back to a decent level, they would win in a landslide. i would possibly consider voting for one of the gungrabber candidates, if gas prices would drop.

Here's something to do if you are able to....
Instead of keeping your vehicle's tank full, keep it at half or even a quarter tank. It will make you scrimp a little bit more on trips and such, and will also save fuel by not hauling around all that extra weight of say 20 gallons of fuel. Why should we pay the fuel companies to be a storage facility for there gas? When that tanker truck hauls his next 8000 gallons to the gas station and it only needs 4000 to fill there tanks, and has to take fuel back to the supplier, things will start to change.

As much as I enjoy driving my truck, the majority of the time it sits at home now. I've been buying 200-800 dollar "beater" cars for the past six or seven years. They don't look like much, and they're not real comfy, but they do get at least 30mpg....that's about double what my truck gets on a good day. It pays off in the long run, even with the cost of additional liability insurance, not to mention it keeps the miles off my truck.....something in which I don't plan on replacing for quite some time.

I'm of the opinion that Bernanke's economic policy and the weakened dollar have more to do with this than who's in the White House.

While I don't believe that a Texas oil man in DC has nothing to do with the energy markets thriving, our current price levels are due to the dollar being worth spit against other world currencies.

It is a double edged sword for our local economy here in Iowa. Commodity prices are up and exports are humming along quite nicely. When the dollar rebounds we'll hear the manufacturing and farming sector moan. Hopefully that will happen before the term "out of staters" is exchanged for "out of contry'ers"!!

It has nothing to do with who is the president and it isn't a campaign issue because they all know they can't change it. People like to blame Bush because his family has oil intersets, but we forget that these spikes in gas prices began during the Clinton administration.

It is driven by the dollar and the value of crude oil which has become increasingly market driven rather than supply and demand driven. That is proven by the rise in crude prices every time some obscure hurricane hits the gulf of Mexico or some refinery has a fire. The only way to bring it down is to use less.

I don't think it is too far in the future where the use of gasoline goes down to the point where the price will drop quite a bit. Unfortunately I think it is going to take a significant recession to do it.

There is a TON of oil out there, the problem isn't lack of oil. Heck, there's the Arctic which will at some point be tapped. There is also a huge oil reserve in Canada (enough to fuel the entire country of Canada for 50 years!) that has never been tapped. They are finding more all the time, so I don't think the problem is lack of crude oil, we just need to get it on the market to drive the price down.

Someone mentioned 98 cents. I remember paying 70 cents in the last seven years, and 26 cents as a kid.

I started driving the old crappy 85 Buick to work. Looks a whole lot uglier than my truck, but gets almost twice the gas mileage. Besides that, I don't really think much about it. Even if it were $8/ gallon, I would still be driving to work like I do now. It's a 90 mile roundtrip to work. Almost the same for my wife.

Not long after I brought my 1st truck at age 16, I remember filling up for 62 cents/gal, in Abiliene. That's the cheapest I can remember.

hoofline.gif

I suppose this is not the post to mention that I am a Exon Mobile share holder/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif…………
stirpot.gif

hoofline.gif

Would you like more information about becoming an iowawhitetail PMA or Life Member? >>>>> Details Here!<<<<<

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THA4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">it sucks!

They got us by the "You know whats"

</div></div>That's it. What else can you do? I will never be without a truck so I don't bitch to much. My first car was a 70 Super Sport Chevelle with a big block LS-5 454. Gas was 50 cents a gallon then. No way could I afford to drive that car everyday now,but I sure wish I still had it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: blake</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
hoofline.gif

I suppose this is not the post to mention that I am a Exon Mobile share holder/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif…………
stirpot.gif

</div></div>

As am I. I wonder if the long term gains in my energy stocks will outweigh my short term losses and liquidity hit at the pump. Only time will tell.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> There is also a huge oil reserve in Canada (enough to fuel the entire country of Canada for 50 years!) that has never been tapped. They are finding more all the time, so I don't think the problem is lack of crude oil, we just need to get it on the market to drive the price down.
</div></div>

Don't think this will save you rprices. I live in canada. You get lots of oil from us now and I'd be one happt S.O.B paying $4 a gallon.

I'll throw my 2 cents in this 4/gallon thread..... Think of it this way, how else do you think the gov't has to pay for all the fuel that all those jets/choppers supporting the war are sucking up on a daily basis.....hmmmmmmm and it is a lot of fuel that most of us wont use in a lifetime that they use in a day.

Yep, come in out of yours and my pockets by price being so high.

So saying demand isnt up there, I would like to differ, it is way more during war.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CRITRGITR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As much as I enjoy driving my truck, the majority of the time it sits at home now. I've been buying 200-800 dollar "beater" cars for the past six or seven years. They don't look like much, and they're not real comfy, but they do get at least 30mpg....that's about double what my truck gets on a good day. It pays off in the long run, even with the cost of additional liability insurance, not to mention it keeps the miles off my truck.....something in which I don't plan on replacing for quite some time. </div></div>

I second exactly what you wrote Critr. I have a nice shiny quad cab that sits in the garage nearly 98% of the month. I drive a 1984 Buick Skylark with 50,000 original miles on it to work and back because it gets about 28-30 mpg and it's freckin 24 years old. Best damn 800 bucks I ever spent.

Here is a question I have.....if the next presidential candidate can't change the oil situation then who is going to take the bull by the horns and actually sell a normal sized car or truck that gets 40-50 mpg and not have it be a hybrid or some tiny ass death trap? I know there are some brain childs out there than can build it...why don't they?

Laugh if you want, but I picked up a Geo Metro on the cheap that has been getting aroung 50 MPG...saves me about 400$ a month. I commute 100 miles a day.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Laugh if you want, but I picked up a Geo Metro on the cheap that has been getting aroung 50 MPG...saves me about 400$ a month. I commute 100 miles a day. </div></div>

LOL

Top Bottom