Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Gas & oil prices

How long does it take to recoupe the cost of a break down on the beater? I can do my own brake work and easy stuff, but lets say you bust a timing belt. Do you just scrap it? How major of a repair are you willing to do beore you buy another one?

With my luck at car buying I'd never save enough on gas to make it pay for itself.

The 'Bonker

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fishbonker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How long does it take to recoupe the cost of a break down on the beater? I can do my own brake work and easy stuff, but lets say you bust a timing belt. Do you just scrap it? How major of a repair are you willing to do beore you buy another one?

With my luck at car buying I'd never save enough on gas to make it pay for itself.

The 'Bonker </div></div>

You could look at it that way. Or, the same thing could happen to your "good" vehicle. You would be spending the money anyways. Seems like newer vehicles have more problems than the older ones. Also, the newer ones are harder to work on and more expensive to fix.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RIDGERRUNNERS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They already have made carbs. that with a full size truck you can get 50-60 mpg, but the oil companies have bought up the rights to it. </div></div>

I've heard things like this too, but I've yet to ever see any facts about it. Are the facts hidden as well?

Bonker,
It takes longer than you think when you consider the cost of the vehicle, plates, and insurance- these are all sunk costs before you even get to the difference in fuel savings. I really think you are a good candidate for a motorcycle. :)

I'll see what i can find, a professor i had, had an old newspaper story of a former student that had. How else do you think Bush can sign a bill forcing higher mpg, by 25-35% over the next 03yrs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Laugh if you want, but I picked up a Geo Metro on the cheap that has been getting aroung 50 MPG...saves me about 400$ a month. I commute 100 miles a day. </div></div>

I sure as hell ain't laughing at you DOR, there isn't one person on here that wouldn't want to save that kind of $$ at the pump to spend on hunting stuff!

Regarding Bonkers question about beaters breaking down.....it depends I guess. If it was a major repair costing more than the car I'd just sell the car for parts and find another one. So far my 24 year old Buick has not had one breakdown in the 2 years I've owned it so I've been pretty lucky. I love this car more every day that I drive it. Nothing better than a beater that is paid off and you welcome someone dinging your door or a deer bouncing off the side of it...

1984 Buick Skylark...it's got a sweet premium AC delco sound system, cushy pillow top seats, an ash tray you could fit a small child into, and it rides like a caddy...best 8 hundy I ever spent.

DCP_2574.JPG

We hauled a deer one hour home tied to the luggage rack on the back of a 93 ford tempo this year, i'll have to find the pic and post it. As we drove through small towns on the back roads to stay of the hwy, people were waving and giving the thumbs up.

Guess it depends on how much you drive Bonker. Liability on a beater is, at least for me, about 50$ every 6 months.

I figure I will pay for the car in less than 5 to 6 months on gas savings alone. After that its making me money.

Rudd....no gps, but does have a radio that works...sorta. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

I had a 92 Mazda Protege, baught for $900 in the summer of 06. Drove it for a year, did some maintenatnce repair on it, sold it for $1100 when i started ridding in a vanpool to work. 150 miles round trip puts a dent in the pocket book.

I would say the beater is a good way to go if you don't mind wrenching on stuff yourself. Brakes are cheap if you can do them yourself as are many other repairs. The cost is in the labor.

I would highly recomend a vanpool or carpool of some sorts for commuters. It takes some getting used to but the VA pays for part of my public transit and the balance of my 150 mile a day commute costs me about $150/month out of pocket. Plus no wear and tear or insurance on my own vehicle. I also get to sleep or work on my laptop too and from work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shoot2Kill</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Laugh if you want, but I picked up a Geo Metro on the cheap that has been getting aroung 50 MPG...saves me about 400$ a month. I commute 100 miles a day. </div></div>

I sure as hell ain't laughing at you DOR, there isn't one person on here that wouldn't want to save that kind of $$ at the pump to spend on hunting stuff!

Regarding Bonkers question about beaters breaking down.....it depends I guess. If it was a major repair costing more than the car I'd just sell the car for parts and find another one. So far my 24 year old Buick has not had one breakdown in the 2 years I've owned it so I've been pretty lucky. I love this car more every day that I drive it. Nothing better than a beater that is paid off and you welcome someone dinging your door or a deer bouncing off the side of it...

1984 Buick Skylark...it's got a sweet premium AC delco sound system, cushy pillow top seats, an ash tray you could fit a small child into, and it rides like a caddy...best 8 hundy I ever spent.

DCP_2574.JPG
</div></div>

That is one smooth ridding car!!! I can vouch for it!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> After that its making me money. </div></div>

Dang, I need to buy a fleet of Metro's and quit my job! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bushman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shoot2Kill</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Laugh if you want, but I picked up a Geo Metro on the cheap that has been getting aroung 50 MPG...saves me about 400$ a month. I commute 100 miles a day. </div></div>

DCP_2574.JPG
</div></div>

That is one smooth ridding car!!! I can vouch for it! </div></div>

Ditto! I had a blue Skylark exactly like it in the mid '90's when I had to commute a ways, I think it cost me $300 but it was a tad rougher. Same badass whitewalls, lol.
I drove it like a stolen moped and never had a problem with it /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shoot2Kill</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Laugh if you want, but I picked up a Geo Metro on the cheap that has been getting aroung 50 MPG...saves me about 400$ a month. I commute 100 miles a day. </div></div>

DCP_2574.JPG
</div></div>

I'm kind of new around here, so please don't take offense, but that picture brings two words to my mind:

Pimp. Mobile. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

You need some hydraulics for that bad boy!!!!

My hunting rig is a '98 Dodge Ram that I just bought in September for a little over $6000. My everyday driver is an '02 Camry that averages just under 30mpg. We just bought a new vehicle last August, I wanted to buy a new pickup, but with gas prices the way they are, we bought my wife a new Toyota Rav4 (28mpg highway), and then I sold her old car and put that money towards my hunting rig. I drive the truck about once a week when it's not hunting season, too much gas $$ otherwise.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: esmd</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shoot2Kill</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Laugh if you want, but I picked up a Geo Metro on the cheap that has been getting aroung 50 MPG...saves me about 400$ a month. I commute 100 miles a day. </div></div>

DCP_2574.JPG
</div></div>

I'm kind of new around here, so please don't take offense, but that picture brings two words to my mind:

Pimp. Mobile. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

You need some hydraulics for that bad boy!!!!

My hunting rig is a '98 Dodge Ram that I just bought in September for a little over $6000. My everyday driver is an '02 Camry that averages just under 30mpg. We just bought a new vehicle last August, I wanted to buy a new pickup, but with gas prices the way they are, we bought my wife a new Toyota Rav4 (28mpg highway), and then I sold her old car and put that money towards my hunting rig. I drive the truck about once a week when it's not hunting season, too much gas $$ otherwise. </div></div>

No offense taken...it is a pimp mobile fo sho'! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif Add some spinners and some neon lights on that bad boy....big pimpin'! It's our turkey hunting rig...last year I killed my turkey before work and it only seemed fitting to take it again when I took my wife 2 days later. It's now been designated the gobbler getter. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif I cleaned it right on the hood and let the rain wash it off.

Ryan_s_Turkey_017.jpg

Re: New X-Prize

The prospects for cheaper gas anytime soon isn't good. A lot of factors are playing into it. We aren't making new refineries, so we import more and more refined oil. We aren't drilling in places where there are large reserves waiting for us - but others are. We aren't pursuing our coal-to-oil refining ($45 per barrel), which is very cost effective now that gas is over $100 a barrel. This could carry us for over 200 years by some estimates - certainly long enough for us to find legitimate options other than oil.

Remember that oil is a commodity, and it is primarily market driven. Putting caps on the price won't work because we cannot control the price per barrel - it's a world market, and we are subject to it. World usage is up sharply, and is rising. We need to produce more of our own fuel, or be subject to the world market. Politics and tree-huggers will be our bigger enemies in the next few years.

Top Bottom