Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Govenor weakening residency laws!

Opps, here we go again! never happen.

Kind of like when there was no dove bill then suddenly there was and it passed before the anti's could protest... worked for him once. Just say'n

Just be aware and be ready to contact your legislators. Hopefully someone from iowa whitetails forever, IBA etc. will pick up on this.

Having sat on the DNR Commission and knowing the Governor I sent him a copy of your post, lets see what he says.

I didn't know Marcus was appointed to the Commission but have spoke to him in the past about many issues regarding Iowa's fine deer herd and since he is an avid bowhunter he could be a great asset. Also, it doesn't hurt knowing he might be able to convince his dad of something that "we the people" might need to see changed.

If you are old enough to remember the 1980's and the wonderful habitat we had in Iowa because of the CRP program and the tremendous effort of the DNR to establish a pheasant population, a wildlife biologist by the name of Lee Gladfelter (deceased) convinced the Director and my friend Larry Wilson to have the state only make decision's about our wildlife based on the biologist not politics. Remember who was the Gov then?

We could be at that crossroads again today, I shouldn't say could, we ARE at that point in Western Iowa. Everything is farmed fence line to fence line and creeks are being tiled over and habitat is gone.

Instead of making statements that you really aren't even sure are true get the facts first. If change needs made lets go play hard ball if we have to, we elect these folks and in all honesty I wouldn't want his job. We once again have money in the bank and the pressures on every department have been somewhat relieved but now we need to guide this ship through tough waters and that is the states economy.

Anyway, let's get a response and go from there. The Governor does hunt and loves the outdoors so I do take issue with most of what you said but hey that's what make's this country great!

Whitetail-Images said:
Having sat on the DNR Commission and knowing the Governor I sent him a copy of your post, lets see what he says.

I didn't know Marcus was appointed to the Commission but have spoke to him in the past about many issues regarding Iowa's fine deer herd and since he is an avid bowhunter he could be a great asset. Also, it doesn't hurt knowing he might be able to convince his dad of something that "we the people" might need to see changed.

If you are old enough to remember the 1980's and the wonderful habitat we had in Iowa because of the CRP program and the tremendous effort of the DNR to establish a pheasant population, a wildlife biologist by the name of Lee Gladfelter (deceased) convinced the Director and my friend Larry Wilson to have the state only make decision's about our wildlife based on the biologist not politics. Remember who was the Gov then?

We could be at that crossroads again today, I shouldn't say could, we ARE at that point in Western Iowa. Everything is farmed fence line to fence line and creeks are being tiled over and habitat is gone.

Instead of making statements that you really aren't even sure are true get the facts first. If change needs made lets go play hard ball if we have to, we elect these folks and in all honesty I wouldn't want his job. We once again have money in the bank and the pressures on every department have been somewhat relieved but now we need to guide this ship through tough waters and that is the states economy.

Anyway, let's get a response and go from there. The Governor does hunt and loves the outdoors so I do take issue with most of what you said but hey that's what make's this country great!

Very well put

Great that's what I was hopeing for, and to be clear all I heard is that the dnr admin is scrambling to get those residency requirments turned back at the dismay of the field staff.

I made a few calls myself, and all said the same thing.

I don't know anything about putting the blame on the ISU pres. If I had to guess I would say this is coming from a few to many hours in the deer blind with the Drury bros, the poster children of skirting the system to get resident tags! Guess 90 days and a utility bill was too much.

Opps, here we go again! never happen.

Trust me there will be a bill to loosen the regs. I got the info from a source who would know. Just be ready to fight it.

As for the Governor appointing his son at least he got rid of a couple of anti lead people on the commission.

Great that's what I was hopeing for, and to be clear all I heard is that the dnr admin is scrambling to get those residency requirments turned back at the dismay of the field staff.

I made a few calls myself, and all said the same thing.

I don't know anything about putting the blame on the ISU pres. If I had to guess I would say this is coming from a few to many hours in the deer blind with the Drury bros, the poster children of skirting the system to get resident tags! Guess 90 days and a utility bill was too much.

Anyone know if they invite Branstad on their "annual" deer hunt when he's not in office? Guessing their not just talking about what buck they're gonna shoot during those hunts!

I'd also like to see Branstad's response.

Seems like this time of year, every year, these issues come up and round and round we go.

For us in the western half of the state we are faced with a huge drop in numbers due to the drought and EHD. I have more than made the state aware of the issues we are facing next fall. Fewer deer to hunt!

As far as the process goes our focus should be to have it driven by the biologist not the politicians.

For me and as I watch goverment take a bigger and bigger role in the well being of it's citizens it reminds me of the Robin Hood Story. Let me copy and paste:

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Robin Hood[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The story of Robin Hood is so well known that it scarcely needs to be reviewed, but don't worry, I'll do it anyway. The "facts ", at least one romantic version of them, are these. In the time of Richard the Lionheart a minor noble of Nottinghamshire, one Robin of Loxley, was outlawed for poaching deer. Now at that time the deer in a a royal forest belonged to the king, and killing one of the king's deer was therefore treason, and punishable by death. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]So Robin took to the greenwood of Sherwood Forest, making a living by stealing from rich travellers and distributing the loot among the poor of the area. In the process he gained a band of followers and a spouse, Maid Marian. Despite the best efforts of the evil Sherrif of Nottingham he avoided capture until the return of King Richard from the Crusades brought about a full pardon and the restoration of Robin's lands. In other versions he dies at the hands of a kinswoman, the abbess of Kirklees Priory. That, in a very small nutshell, is the legend, but is there truth behind it?[/FONT]

So, who's deer are they and who should write the rules? Sorry, I couldn't resist!

The focus should be on how to mitigate the risk. This discussion has came up very recently if I remember correctly........

Pretty simple from what I can see. The man is set on changing things. Give him the change you are willing to accept as opposed to opposing his ideas. Flat opposition will only push him farther into the corner of appointing positions who agree with him completely and then forcing it upon the people.

Here's my idea. There should not be an overhaul to accommodate a select few. Instead Iowa should grant special privileges to designated positions(college presidents). This way the temptation to cheat is not brought forth to the public yet it still accomplishes your governors goal of appeasing his cronies.

Hardwood11 said:
What is he trying to do? What specific changes?

I think he's trying to reduce the waiting period to obtain a resident license. Thus allowing the potential for a NR to claim residence during hunting season and then change it back to their home state afterwards.

I think he's trying to reduce the waiting period to obtain a resident license. Thus allowing the potential for a NR to claim residence during hunting season and then change it back to their home state afterwards.

How many hunters would actually try this? I would guess very few. Isn't there a ton of papework and some cost to this

They spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on ground to hunt deer they will pay whatever it costs if they can get a tab every year

They spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on ground to hunt deer they will pay whatever it costs if they can get a tab every year

I do not disagree, and I am not sticking up for your governor, my point is claiming residency then switching it back has consequences--- cost/tax returns/id's/mailing/---to name a few.

No way you could do that every year and get away with it, maybe a one time deal?

Ok, I am getting caught up now. So, go back to 30 day versus the 90 day needs to be stopped is what I am also hearing from the Department.

Yeah, it doesn't have a bill number, probably won't fly but could get attached to something else and ram rodded through.

I agree with you guys, now we need to articulate this to those who decide. Any ideas on how best to communicate this?

Top Bottom