Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Grey wolf woolens

Blaster

PMA Member
Guys, i was thinking of getting some new bibs and a new jacket. For you guys that have Grey wolf woolens, can you give me some advice of what i would want to order if i went with this brand?

I bought the bibs and the bowhunter pullover, I could NOT be happier with them. I put double knees and double butt on the bibs and also added a drawstring in the waist. The coat I added the 3 strap arm guard and a drawstring in the bottom hem and in the waist as well. I find myself wearing only under armour under them most of the time so the draw strings keep me from being too bunched up. The only insulation I got in my stuff was the windstopper type lining, I didn't get the other stuff and I cannot remember it's name.

What I love about the bibs is the side leg zippers, they go all the way to the hip so they slip on and off very easily for packing in and not removing boots. The pullover is extremely roomy and comfortable. The pocket in the front is awesome, it holds my phone, my grunt tube, the can, and other crap I probably don't need.

Any other questions PM me your phone number and I'll give you a buzz later tonite.

I purchsed the wolfskin bibs and pull over with the wind proof linning but not the heavy insulation in the grey/brown predator camo. I had full side zippers, double butt, butt pockets, extra leg pockets. The pull over has the hand warmer "pouch" like a sweat shirt, regular pockets, draw string at the bottom. I also bought the head cover.

I have worn them may many times this year, here is my observations. The material is quiet. The wind stopper works. The hand pouch is great, just put a couple of hand warmers in there and no more cold hands.

The pullover pockets are quite deep.If you are standing up they are easy to get into but sitting down the pull over scrunches up and makes it hard to get to the bottom. I put my buck roar in the pockets and it is hard to get it to slide easly into the pocket.

I got the thingys on the sleve to tighten the sleve up so it doesn't hit the string. I got three, the third one needs to be lower, closer to the cuff.

I haven't, and probably won't, use the bottom draw string. My original plan was to wear the pull over under the bibs, which is kinda silly because now that I have it, how would I use the hand pouch or the pockets?

The bib pockets are good, same deal as the pull over when sitting down, but that will happen with any product.

The leg pockets are on top of the legs instead of on the side due to the full length zipper, these pockets are hard for me to get used to but I want the full length zipper so I can wear them open and not cook when walking to the stand. Once I get in the stand the zippers are a booger. I try to zip down to close while sitting. I can't describe what happens, but the zipper won't zip if the material isn't even. This is true of any garment with full length zippers. I end up standing up (more motion in the stand) to zip them.

One other comment about the zippers, the inner seam/linning, something, gets caught and you have to unzip and try to get past the spot. Don't get me wrong, I'd order it with the same zippers, I'm just not used to it, yet.

Another feature, on the straps I didn't like their hard ware so they made mine with the same style as on my everyday bibs, they also put a strap between the over the shoulder staps to keep them from falling off your shoulders.

The head cover is problematic. I wear huge windshield glasses in the stand. The opening in the hood wasn't big enough for my face and glasses. I thought if I cut slits in the side to clear the bows it would work. I sent them an Email about it hoping they would say "send 'em back and we'll customize them for ya" but they sent me an email back saying they make head covers with a larger opening. Probaby my fault for hinting around about it instead of saying "I'm sending them back and this is what I want you to do". I just grabbed the opening and pulled it and it gave a little so it fits better with glasses, but it is still too tight. I'm gonna make the slits myslef and ask my wife to stitch the slits so the material won't fray.

Another thing about the head cover, it is very thick and warm which is good, but I can't hear crap when I have it on. There aren't any ear holes which would let in the cold air and sound. Due to these two problems I've gone back to my old head cover with a thin stocking hat underneath on the cold days.

I haven't worn them in the rain/drizzel yet so I can't comment on the water proof/repelant qualityof the wolf skin.

I'm gonna visit their booth again at the Classic. I'm thinkin about a set of the same stuff without the wind stopper in the green preator for early fall and spring turkey.

By the way, my set of Grey Wolf is still virgin in the kill catagory.

The 'Bonker

So basically what you are saying Bonker is that you don't care for the clothing much, but plan on buying more?

I liked the full zip jacket over the pullover. More convenient for a middle-body challenged person. Pocket size is awesome. I wish I would have ordered a couple of pockets in the bibs.

I've got the full zip jacket with the wind proof lining and also the 3 straps on the arm and 2 draw strings. I've got the hood, but have never used it.

I've also got the bibs, but with the colder weather lining in them. Double butt, knee, no pockets. Wish I would have gotten a draw string around the chest area though.

Love both items and can't say enough about the quality of these garmets. Eventually plan on ordering a pair of pants and a hat.

Blaster, if you want to take a look at mine I could bring them to work sometime and you could run over and take a look.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So basically what you are saying Bonker is that you don't care for the clothing much, but plan on buying more?</div></div>

No, I like it alot, I just wanted to point out some of the things that are inherent in all clothing are also occuring on this stuff. They wanted opinions and I gave 'em mine, so when they think about which pocket they wanna put what in they will have heard some first hand experience.

The deal with the hardware was trying to show that they work with you on those types of issues.

If you look at the quality of construction, the tightness, or maybe better put the stitches per inch, if such a thing is counted, I don't think these will ever fall apart. There hasn't been any loose threads, any puckering of seams, the snaps are all tight and don't rattle, its good stuff.

However, I don't hink I'd buy the head cover again.

After rereading my post I can see where you might get the idea I don't like it, but it is/was a learning curve. I won't put anything in the slash pockets that I need to get to in a hurry.

I might do like Muddy and just put all my crap in the hand pouch.

The deal with the leg pouch, I put my range finder in my left leg pouch. When I think I hear a deer walking I get my bow off the holder and set the bottom cam on my thigh, right where I put the range finder. On other clothes the range finder is off to the side so it doesn't interfere with putting my bow on my thigh. Simlple solution would be to put it in my right leg pouch, ahh, but with my release it is hard to get it out in any clothing I wear. I thought about getting a lanyard for it to put it around my neck, but with my binos already hanging there it would be in the way. I'm still trying to figure it all out. I carry way too much crap with me.

Hey DOR, you got any drugs that make me not so windy?

The 'Bonker

Your past treatment Bonker!

After hearing all the great reviews, I have been meaning to try this stuff out but it is not exactly easy to find it around. Last time I saw them they were at the Classic 2 years ago. Hopefully, I will make it down this year and try their stuff out.

My only concern having never tried this gear is that it does look like it has a little bit of the Marshmellow Man syndrome. Is that what all the drawstrings are for?

You won't be marshmallow man because you won't need to have hardly anything layered under it.

Even in really cold weather I wore mostly just under armour for a base on top and bottom. Then a heavy set of polypro on the bottom and a fleece pull over on top.

My stuff might look baggy but that's how I wanted it "just in case" in needed the extra room later in life. A little loose makes it a helluva lot easier to draw the bow back.

The wolfskin is really good in the rain. I've been out in a downpour and it shed water very well. It's not "water proof" but what is unless it's a friggin noisy rain coat? It's water resistant enough that I stayed warm in circumstances where I normally wouldn't.

I didn't get a hood or headcover other than the fleece hat that Gray Wolf makes. I like my ears out so I can hear.

I didn't get any other pockets because with the bibs they will be on the front of your legs rather on the sides. I don't need any more places to stash any more crap.

In hindsight I wish I had gotten the liteloft insulation along with the windbreaker lining... but, with a little layering I've never been really cold, just chilled.

DOR, These clothes fit like a well tailored suit. No bulk and the draw strings take care of any that may be.

Blaster I have the coat with the long zipper, grunt tube pocket, back pouch, sleeve compressors, and a hood to go with it. It has the comfortmax but no liteloft. I have the pants with the zipper leg (knee), double knee, cargo pockets and comfortmax. The only thing I would do different is get a double butt in the pants and forget the hood. Never used it and never will, I just don't like hoods, restrict vision and hearing too much.

I also have a set of unlined with the pullover and pants pretty much the same options. After having both the coat and pullover I would probably go with the pullover, I like both but the pullover by a slight edge.

I also have a vest that is absolutely awesome for layering. Just ordered the mitts and handwarmer so you can count on it warming up as soon as they arrive.

I found myself in my treestand several times this year being really glad I have this stuff and wish I would have ordered it sooner. It will be the last set of hunting clothes you purchase and will fit right. There are several pictures in my photo gallery and muddy has some in his as well. Make sure if you get the iowawhitetail logo you tell him to use khaki or white thread not red. Shoot me a PM if you have any other questions.

Also, Jeff will have a booth at the classic again this year. Great guy to work with.

Bonker, I know you know this but Jeff will make whatever you need to your specs. I would suggest just taking it to the classic and showing him what you want and he will take care of it.

Pictures don't really show how sweet this stuff is but take a look anyway. Pullover, bibs, and the bomber hat. I went pretty plain with my stuff just to keep the costs down and I ended up sending the bomber hat back as well as the big pull on mittens. The gloves were too bulky for my liking and the bomber hat restricted my hearing too much. The fleece stocking hat thing is the way to go and the radar cap Jeff just started putting out is pretty sweet as well.

411GW_001.jpg

411GW_007.jpg

411GW_004.jpg

I love the stuff. I have the pullover and love the big hand warmer pocket. I pack mine to the stand and put it ion in the stand. This is the only time I don't care for the pullover because I have to undo my harness and stick it through the head hole hook up and pull over. The full length zipper on th bibs work well and make them easy to put on even on stand. This is the best hunting clothing I have ever had.

I wish you guys would quit posting pics. I'm going to be in the poor house again...

How do the colors hold up to a wash a day/season?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Limb Chicken</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They don't fade at all. I will post some of the unlined spring green later...</div></div>

Thats the stuff I want next.

The 'Bonker

To wear over under you new vest? I haven't forgot Tom. I still have the vest I am planning on dropping off before spring... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Limb Chicken</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To wear over under you new vest? I haven't forgot Tom. I still have the vest I am planning on dropping off before spring... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif </div></div>

Vest? What vest? Three piece suits went outa syle a long time ago.

I'm thinkin more early season deer for the green unlined stuff.

The 'Bonker

I bought some of the Gray Wolf Stuff last year, insulated with comfortmax and non insulated with comfortmax. You should not need insulation...way too warm for me anyways. It is all I have ever wanted in camo and then some. As tough as it is, I shouldn't need to get any new camo for several more years.

The pants I have are like Limbs with all the same features. The Pullover is similar to Muddy's. I bought an insulated parka and bibs but have hardly worn them due to how warm they are.

You can't go wrong with this stuff and if you place your order now, you will have it in time for next season. Well worth the money and supports a sponsor of the site as well.

Top Bottom