Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

gun or bow? why?

muddy

Spring is here and Iowas spring turkey season is nearly upon us. Those of you going out in search of longbeards what weapon will you be carrying? Why that weapon?

Myself, I have been using a bow almost exclusively for nearly 15 years or so simply because it gives me the entire season to hunt. After buying a new shotgun last fall And blasting a beak with it last fall as well I am seriously considering only carrying my tag, maybe my decoy BigBoi , and the gun. Not because I I'm getting lazy but it sure sounds like fun to "run And gun" again!

What are your spring plans?

Bow because it is more of a challenge but also because I get to hunt the whole season. I dont want to limit my weekends and then have bad weather.

Plan to do both for the first time. Bought a new G5 bow and a Double-Bull T2 and will be going out with an archery only tag on April 16th until I connect. Also plan to do 4th season and will probably use the gun first.

Also have a trip to NE Kansas planned and we seem to have the best luck there running and gunning. Tons of birds but you never know just where they'll pop up. If (when) I get the first bird, I may switch to the bow for #2.

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
I am planning on using my shotgun early because I have a bad shoulder but hope by the time 4th season rolls around to switch to my bow. Have yet to take a bird with archery tackle and hope I can get it done later in the season!

Shotgun 1st and 4th.. I LOVE blasting them in the head and watching 'em roll! Actually, one of the biggest reasons I use a shotgun is mobility. I love being able to belly crawl up to them to get closer and switch trees at any given moment. I can also switch hands and shoot left handed which has worked both times I've tried it. Sitting still in the stand bowhunting deer is what I love to do in the fall, but, spring-time for me is runnin' and gunnin' Thunderchickens! The last couple of years though, I've gotten lucky and they've basically flown out of the roost straight into my lap... Another reason I don't like bowhunting them is that is just waaayyy too much crap for me to carry.. I have my shotgun, vest, and mouthcalls and that's all I need. I also hunt a lot of public, so, I can't really leave a blind out and I'm definately not carrying that in and out all the time.

Last edited:
I will be using a bow if i get my bird early in the season i will go after them with the shotgun

I'll be hunting with my flintlock fowler. I've pretty much given up archery due to a bad thumb on my bow hand. I must say though that I've never had a problem being mobile with a bow, and for me, the flintlock is more of a challenge and more rewarding.

During the youth season Corben uses the shotgun, then Colton and I bowhunt. We like to be able to hunt the whole season, but it just never gets old seeing them fold-up after an arrow, or better yet flop around, bringing in the other toms, so the other guy gets a shot, or loses arrows trying. Actually I think we make it alot harder than it needs to be. Like deer hunting, we are running cameras all over, trying to pick out the oldest, longest spurred birds, then just setting up an ambush, rather than calling. When we just want a gobbler, we put out the old beatup stuffed strutter. That almost always gets attacked by the gangs of 1 and 2 year old birds, but the old birds are usually alone, wont come to anything, and are always being chased off by the younger gangs.

After buying a new shotgun last fall And blasting a beak with it last fall as well I am seriously considering only carrying my tag, maybe my decoy BigBoi , and the gun. Not because I I'm getting lazy but it sure sounds like fun to "run And gun" again!

I'm in the exact same boat as you muddy - minus the fact I haven't turkey hunted in the last 6~7 years. Shot one with my bow that long ago and never went again. Been working on habitat projects every spring since then and taking others out. BUT like you, I bought a sweet new turkey gun off IW and just put a red dot scope on it and really really want to do some run 'n gun hunting! Our farm has the perfect lay of land to do some spot 'n stalking running n gunning. I'm sure Russ and I will do some run 'n gun filming with the Mossberg, I'll post a pic up of the new gun once I get the scope on it this weekend.

Buying a bow tag and depending on when I fill it depends on whether I will buy a 4th season gun tag or not. Ive shot quite a few with my bow but man I love running and gunning to. I really enjoy laying them down with hevi shot. Both are fun in different ways.

Gun because I get to hunt about 3 days a year with the job that I have, and I never really know when those 3 times are. Bow is more fun, but with such an unpredictable schedule, it's really hard for me to bowhunt them.

Bow...because anything worth killing is worth killing with an arrow :D

I usually then buy the gun tag 4th season, but with the early start to the spring I'm thinking 4th season will be a total green out / skeeter swatting party this year :thrwrck:

NWBuck

One bow tag and one 4th season gun tag if time permits (there's usually field work to be done around that time) :way:

I'll pry buy a bow only tag and a 4th season gun tag this year, just becasue my schedule could be a little hectic and i like the idea of having the entire season to hunt whenever i have time.
in KS i'll be shooting them in the face with my new gun!!

Is my bed an option?!? That's where I'll be!! :). I let all the other fam and friends go after em while I dream about big bucks in my warm bed. I am up in time for breakfast when they come back in. Good luck all!!!

I'm going gun this year because bow is just to easy! Just me my gun and a mouth call. No blind, no decoys! Just me and my camo loin cloth!:D

Killed two with a bow last year and I think 4 with the 10 ga. But it will be this year it will be gun only don't have the time to bow hunt them. Pulse it's fun shooting them with a 10ga. They don't even flop after you hit them with it.

Top Bottom