Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Gun safe location

oldgene

PMA Member
I'm thinking of putting a gun safe in my unheated garage. Has anyone had experience doing this? My concerns are the large temperature changes and humidity control. Would like some input.

My gun safe sits in our unheated garage and, so far after 6 years, I haven't had any problems. Granted, Flagstaff, AZ doesn't get as cold as Iowa does in the winter time, but my ambient garage temp is typically right around freezing every night. Coming up from Tucson, where winter lows are still higher than Flagstaff's highs was a bit of a difference. I had to switch from a big dessicant box to one of those "golden rod" dehumidifiers. That seems to have helped quite a bit.

Getting the garage buttoned up to trap heat has been on my list of things to do so I can still work at my reloading bench and do other stuff in the winter time.

No worries, just get a "golden rod" dehumidifier or one similar. What it truely is, is a small heater that keeps your safe at a constant "dry" temp. eliminating moisture. I had mine in the garage for 5 years w/ no issues and now have it in the basement still using the golden rod.

I'm thinking of putting a gun safe in my unheated garage. Has anyone had experience doing this?

Nope. I've never put a gun safe in your garage. :D

The temp won't fluctuate that quickly or even that much from one day to the next inside your safe. If you do decide to put it there, be sure to secure it to the floor in some fashion. That's not an item you want to come up missing.

Also, dollar general sells large plastic containers of desiccant (a little smaller than a quart of ice cream). That should be sufficient to keep moisture levels in check.

I haven't done it, but knowing how the humidity can build up in our garage, I would be a little wary of this. We run a dehumidifier quite often in the summer to address the excess moisture. Minimally, I would definitely use desiccant inside as was recommended.

I have had no issues with my safe in my unheated garage. I have a "golden rod" and for 3 years no problems.

Top Bottom