Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

hand gun question?

muddy

What is the biggest baddest hand gun on the market? I'm looking for something with stopping power, something that could stop a cape buffalo in it's tracks.

I am merely curious.

I had a 500 Smith and Wesson. It was expensive to shoot, but it would stop a brown bear if you needed to. I had a 480 Ruger Alaskan that was pretty capable too. It was touted as the worlds most powerful compact handgun until the 500 came out with a short barrel. Honestly, they were cool guns, but I saw an opportunity to make $$ on them so I sold them. The price of ammo made them not enjoyable to shoot.:( I currently have a .45 Glock, as a self defense weapon, carry in the mountains for self defense while bow hunting elk, and it will stop about any animal too. Ammo is way cheaper then those above mentioned rounds too. If you want a real versatile handgun, get a Ruger GP 100 357 magum. Tough gun, and you can shoot 38 ammo out of it too. Tow caliber gun, for the price of one. A 357 will shoot clean though a car door and out the other side.

Thompson Center will (or at least used to) build a pistol (Contender) around any cartridge you felt man enough to squeeze the trigger on.

The .500 is the biggest and baddest.
I would pay real money to watch Muddy touch off a heavy load in one.:D

I have a Ruger SuperRedHawk in .480 and .44 and cant tell too much difference when it comes to stopping power on deer, both are devistating, the .44 is a flatter cheaper round and they make all kinds of really cheap ammo for farckin around with.

i borrowed a buddy's 500 last year, and i recently sold my 480. i'm with shovel, i would love to see muddy shoot the 500.

no production gun bigger than the 500..........yet

Is it made by any specific company?
Smith and Wesson and Magnum research are the only two makers that I am aware of that sell a revolver that will shoot the round. I would get a Smith and Wesson. Like I said, ammo is high. It is basically a $2. 85 every time you pull the trigger. The gun will run you $800-1000 depending on used or new and dealers price.
Does your body have that much plasma?

I had the long barreled version and had a scope on it. The gun is very heavy and recoil is nothing. My wallet ran dry before the recoil got to me.

Last edited:
If you want a real versatile handgun, get a Ruger GP 100 357 magum. Tough gun, and you can shoot 38 ammo out of it too. Tow caliber gun, for the price of one. A 357 will shoot clean though a car door and out the other side.

And I just happen to have one for sale....................:grin:

Smith and Wesson and Magnum research are the only two makers that I am aware of that sell a revolver that will shoot the round. I would get a Smith and Wesson. Like I said, ammo is high. It is basically a $2. 85 every time you pull the trigger. The gun will run you $800-1000 depending on used or new and dealers price.
Does your body have that much plasma?

I had the long barreled version and had a scope on it. The gun is very heavy and recoil is nothing. My wallet ran dry before the recoil got to me.

I shot a .500 quite a bit, and the recoil didn't bother me at all. It was the price of the ammo and the price of the gun that had me shy of it.

Like I said earlier, if you want a great handgun, that has a big knock down power up to 200 yards, go with the .460.

I shot a .500 quite a bit, and the recoil didn't bother me at all. It was the price of the ammo and the price of the gun that had me shy of it.

Like I said earlier, if you want a great handgun, that has a big knock down power up to 200 yards, go with the .460.
Hey Bud, the 460 handgun goes for a little higher to the same price as the 500 sells for and the ammo does too. You are right though, the 460 is the long range king of handgun rounds as it is a flat shooter. It will break your wallet just as fast as the 500 though for cost and and ammo prices. I don't know if you guys know about gunbroker.com, but it is a great place to buy guns. It can get addictive though(rumor has it). All you need to do is bid on the guns and have them shipped to a ffl dealer that handles the paperwork. Many gunshops will handle the transaction for $20-25.

The 500 is the baddest. So what's the occasion Muddy? Going on a hunt somehwere? Just curious?

Nope, not going anywhere. As I stated in my original post, I'm merely curious as to what is "king of the hill".

Hey Bud, the 460 handgun goes for a little higher to the same price as the 500 sells for and the ammo does too. You are right though, the 460 is the long range king of handgun rounds as it is a flat shooter. It will break your wallet just as fast as the 500 though for cost and and ammo prices. I don't know if you guys know about gunbroker.com, but it is a great place to buy guns. It can get addictive though(rumor has it). All you need to do is bid on the guns and have them shipped to a ffl dealer that handles the paperwork. Many gunshops will handle the transaction for $20-25.

I understand, as I have priced both with ammo. I was simply stating that the .460 would have a much better fit for me than the .500.

I ended up buying a .41 magnum. Go ahead and price ammo for that, if you can even find it.

Also, with the .460, you can shoot .454 and .45 out of the same gun, so for just burning ammo, buy a box or 2 of .45's.

.45 long colts.......not .45 acp

41 mag ammo is tough to find, but its an awesome, under rated round

Top Bottom