Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

handling a crappy situation the right way.

muddy

about a month ago i went into the local scheels to get my strings replaced. the guy workin on my bow got flustered and did not put something on right. i pulled my bow back and KA-POW! hoyt everywhere. was it his fault? maybe, accidents happen to anyone no matter how carefull you are. long story short they sent my chunked bow into Hoyt to have it all checked over as all that really went wrong was it dry fired. in the meantime they gave me a replacement bow off the rack for me to shoot till mine came back. got the call today and went into the store to switch everything back onto my old bow. i was very happy to see the old gal to be honest and all the anger that i was storing disappeared when i saw that Hoyt and Scheels had doen their job. as i picked up the old bow one of the managers comes up and says, come upstairs, we have a deal for you. i walk up and the archery guys are there and say that even though my bow was technically "ok" to send back out they didn't feel right since it blew up in their store. they said, enjoy your new bow.

i walked back out with a 2004 RazorTEC free of charge. did this happen because i used to work there? maybe...but i doubt it because the archery shop manager is now new and i don't know him from adam. attitude can make a huge difference when dealing with any pro shop be it a major chain or a small town dealer. we all claim that this store or that store is better than the other but generally that's not the case. there are hundreds of guys out there that can work in any one of those pro shops. by keeping a level head in a potential crap storm you not only present yourself as a decent human but you also prove to the store managers that they want you to come back so they can deal with you. i have nothing against Fin & Feather, they have treated me very well, same with Gander Mountain and other pro shops they all do a bang up job.

ok, i'll get down now
893soapbox-thumb[1].gif
and go enjoy my brand new toy

smile.gif

Muddy,

I hear them Hoyts make great Boat Anchors if you blow another one up.
grin.gif

All kidding aside im glad to hear your sitation turned out great. Customer service means alot these days.

well, this doesn't quite sit with your meaning of this post, but from what i have seen at the new scheels, the is no way i would EVER let these guys touch my bow. the level of incompetance i have seen from my few trips in the store are unbelievable. of course, much of this is due to a new store and personel, i'm sure. but never the less, they blew up your bow. they did the right thing by you, but would this have happened at your local shop, where they eat sleep and live bows? possibly, but i doubt it. i won't even let scheels put a loop on my bow

teeroy, this was not meant to be a bashing post, just saying that if something bad happens to try and turn it positive if you can. maybe that new scheels is horrid, maybe not. i suppose you can afford to say that comment because you are an expert on bows. the guy that did wrong was sorry, they made up for it. and yes, any pro shop can have something crappy happen. my dad ran a private bow shop for over 25 years and there are people on this site who can prove that. he busted things from time to time and made up for it. no one store is immune to accidents. i'm done with this.

no, muddy, i'm not an expert when it comes to working on bows. that is why i take it to someone who is. i saw a scheels employee trying to put a bow in the press last week, and he looked like he was trying to dismantle a bomb. he was scared and clueless. not a representative of the whole scheels corporation, so don't get all mad, its not a personal shot at you. but it is what i saw. i have talked to many people who aren't happy with their expierences at the new store

Here's another way to look at what point the Mudster is trying to make.

Alot of us new Muddy before a certain another "moose" was a regular on this site. He, "Muddy", was alway's a loose cannon. We never knew what he was gonna do or say. Then, after a near death experience,
icon_chain.gif
(because of the other moose) the ole Mudster turned into about the nicest, polite, and respectful guy you would ever meet. So I can see why Scheel's would want to make everything right with him. Heck, it wouldn't surprise me a bit if Muddy, just by walking into any Proshop, had those guys giving him bows all the time........
evil.gif

Funny stuff there Moose. I am glad they made it right with you Muddy, but I gotta ask, with all the time you've spent working on bows in the past, why do you even take it into a shop? Just curious.
CRITR

MOOSE 270, the guy who wieghs 275 and can do 20 one handed pullups, Perry, what does this character have to do with this, anyway, I'm just happy nothing ever came into play.
30570-chair.gif
wall.gif

Muddy,

You have brought up a good point and represented your fellow hunters very well. The only thing that would have come out of this if you would have lost your cool when that happened was giving the anti-hunters in the store one more thing to complain about. I commend you in your actions and thank you for representing your fellow hunters in a professional manner.

Joe

Teeroy,

I usually don't respond to posts, but felt compelled to respond in this instance. I have been working part time at the new Scheels in West Des Moines for the past month. I am curious as to what specifically your complaints are regarding the store. I have observed the level of competence of several of the staff there and have witnessed no questionable behaviors as of yet. Without trying to brag, I have a great deal of experience in the archery industry. I am also on the Pro Staff of several manufacturers. I am there on Tuesdays and Thursdays in the evenings, and sometimes on the weekends. Whatever your concerns are, I would appreciate specifics so we can remedy whatever problems that may exist. Stop in and see me sometime, I'd be happy to put on a loop for you!

Michael Anderson

hey muddy, i just had a very similar experience. i had bought the new high country 4-runner about 2 1/2 months ago and have shot it hundreds of times with no problem. then about 3 weeks ago i was shooting the 3-D's with some friends and right when i fired the bow the string snapped, wrapping around my arm and causing a horrifying sting in my arm for quite a few days and left some awesome looking welts but hurt like hell. the only thing wrong was just the string broke and when i took the bow to the local bow shop my buddy just happened to be on the phone with high country(ordering cams for a youth bow) and he told them a friend of his just walked through the door that had bought the new 4-runner, they wanted to know what i thought of the bow so he handed me the phone. so i grabbed the phone and told the guy what i thought of the bow and how excellent it was shooting, how durable it was, how light it was and that i was completely satisfied. then we got to just talking BS and about other stuff in general and hunting(talked about 30 minutes) and he then he said "if your so impressed with the bow and have had no problems, what are you doing at the bow shop?" so i told him i just stopped to drop it off because the string had just broke. he wanted to know how it happened so i told him, never once blaming high country, the only thing i told him was that it could have possibly have been a faulty string and we were shooting in a down pour. without me saying another thing he said, "man that sucks, i hate that that happened, how about we send you a new bow?" my exact words were "that's ok you don't have too it wasn't ya'lls fault just the string or me" he said "no i insist, we want our customers to be satisfied, you'll have one in a week, have your buddy send this yours back to us". 4 days ago i just got the brand new bow, also in the deal the bow was already equipped with brand new high country sights, stabilizer, and quiver. don't know if it was me BSing with the guy or what? maybe i did conduct myself properly, no matter what customer service is very important and there are some companies(although not many) who truly do go out of their way to satisfy us hunters! congrats to ya muddy!
waytogo.gif

other than the one i stated earlier, here is one:
my cousin goes in to buy a .22 pistol, scheels was about $50 over on price from a competitor. after a few phone calls, scheels would honor the price. my cousin realized, after he left, that he had accidentally bought a 4" barrel, and he wanted a 6". so after a few more calls, he goes back to swap guns and redo paper work. when it comes time for im to leave, they say he owes an extra $100 for the longer barrel, wich is wrong, after another 20 minutes, of discussion and another set of calls to the competitor, they finally got everything settled. now this doesn't seem like a huge ordeal, but to witness it was unbelievable. trying to charge and extra $100 for 2" of barrel is like a shop charging $5 an inch for an arrow. look at any gun catalog, and nobody jacks up the price on a .22, for the standard 6" barrel. plus, everytime my cousin asked a question, the salesman would just bluff out his answer, instead of saying "i don't know, let me go ask". i worked in sales for many years, "i don't know, i'll find the answer" is not a hard thing to say.

i didn't want this to turn into a big anti-scheels post. and, i would be willing to bet none of the things i have seen were by any managers of the store. the majority of these problems will be ironed out as employees are trained. my main point is, that i will take my equipment to a quality shop, that handles these problems everyday. one time at one of these stores, you could have top notch service from a knowledgable employee, like mike sounds to be. the next time you come in, you could get some unexpierenced fumble-f$*^&, that as no idea what he is doing, and doesn't want to call his supervisor for help. i will continue to support my local shop, where the same people are there every day.

i have also talked to many people who are unhappy with scheels, but i am not going to air their stories second hand.

crittr

i don't work on my own bows because a quality bow press is $400 and a bow vise is another $100 and all the tools associated with working on bows is another few bills. i can't afford it.

YET.

it's just unfortunate that one or two bad salesman give the entire store or chain a bad name. hopefully they'll get it ironed out. but, that's how it goes. once my "go to guy" at the coralville scheels is gone i don't know what i'll do. you put trust and faith in a place and i almost got burnt. they took care of the problem so i'm happy to go back and continue to stick up for them.

this post is just beating a dead horse. i have my valid point and teeroy has his, no matter how much i argue he won't change his mind and visa verca. we agree to disagree and a bunch of other crap along with it.

Do I really want to post this after muddy and tee-roy have kissed and made up.......... I suppose. I had recently gone to scheels to look around and spend a fair chunk of change at the store. I was in the process of looking at a Benelli Super black eagle and was curious as to why scheels was asking 1400 and sportsman was asking 1100. When the salesman walked up said "nice gun huh?" my simple response was " kinda pricey" at which point the saleman placed the gun back on the shelf (after taking it outta my hands) and said to me " let's go find a gun you can afford." I think that the look on my face probably told him I was a little upset and really didn't want his presence any more. I should have taken the $350 worth of merchandise that I had already picked up and put it back but then I went to the cash register. As a I waited in line I noticed the guy in front of me (who was wearing a pair of khakis and button up shirt) had spent well over $500 and was writing a check. Not once did they ask for his I.D.. The clerk then rang up my stuff and me wearing my Harley davidson shirt blue jeans and work boots started to write a check and wanted to see my I.D. because it was policy for any purchase over $200. After questioning why the gentlemen in front of me didn't get I.D. all I got was "it's policy sir." Upset I went to get my I.D. out and my police badge fell out and at that time the manager said that showing my I.D. was not necessary and was told to have a good day. After that little ordeal it was hard to have a good day. First being told that I couldn't "afford" the over priced shotgun then being singled out due to my clothing. I'm not bagging on scheels here because I don't have any other reference to base it on and it could be the fact that it was in west Des Moines and I wasn't preppy enough for the mall. However I do know that sportsmen warehouse is $1100 richer and one less super black eagle.

I had a similar circumstance happen to me at the new Sheels just a couple of weekends ago. I waited for 27 minutes on someone to respond to the repeated pages at the rangefinder display and not one single person showed up, even after 2 different managers paged overhead several times. Finally one of the managers that had paged for someone came back and I thought he would open the display case so I could buy the rangefinder, but to my dismay, he asked me what I wanted with a rangefinder. I advised him that i was a bowhunter and I wanted it to use in my deer stand. He then replied, "oh another deer killer." At which point I turned to my wife and kids and told them it was a mistake going there. We left around $700 worth of merchandise right there and walked out, never to return.

I hate to bring negativity on here, but I have seen a lot of posts regarding treatment from Sheels...they won't have to worry about this hunting family spending money there again, as we are going back to Cabelas!

if you hate to post negativity then why post it?? stated earlier this was a no bashing post and now it's started down that road again. it really cheeses my arse to see it i guess. if ya ain't got nuthing nice to say, don't say it in a post that's not intended to have it.

maybe a mod would delete this whole post for me please.

[ QUOTE ]
maybe a mod would delete this whole post for me please

[/ QUOTE ] Wow,I am not going into the Scheels ordeal but I didn't realize that it was all about you muddy.............Personally I am glad people put the experiences they have had on here,just like when people put the good experiences they have with getting a bow company to send them a new bow.Sometimes you just have to take the good with the bad......

yup, you're right, i'm the one who's being unreasonable here. i make a post trying to shed a bit of positive light and then other people begin slamming a store that i personally have no problem with. how DARE i get offended. thanks for showing me the error of my ways.

Top Bottom