Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hello Split Ear ...my old friend.

SaskGuy

It's good to see you once again.
You disappeared, I thought you were dead.
For 13 months you've been a ghost... a memory.
Now you've reappeared, that crown, your ear, it's certain to me,..you're alive, a true survivor.
1141.jpg

I think this buck is 8 1/2 yrs old. I started seeing him in 2003, I believe he was 3 1/2 then. I found both sides to his 130 set of sheds later that winter. The next fall he was visible in October, carrying antlers that hadn't grown much and would max out at around 140. I found one single off him that winter. In 2005 He was nothing more than a 140's buck again, but the sightings became less frequent. I was lucky enough to find both his sheds again that winter. In 2006 I only saw him one time in Sept, he was now 6 1/2 and 140 -145 class again. I found both his sheds on dec. 31 after a month of deep snow and harsh weather,I figured it would be his last winter. Surprisingly I saw him in early Sept. of 07 while he was in full velvet, his ear was the giveaway. I caught him in early Oct on a trail camera and he vanished. The last evidence of his existence.
l_056.jpg

No trail camera pictures.
No sightings.
No sheds.
Heavy hunting pressure in the 07 season and even moreso here in 08.
2 consecutive severe winters that dealt the deep population a severe blow...
Yet you're alive, my trail camera tells me so. You're in the same area you've always been. How can you have evaded my efforts for over 400 days? I salute your survival skills and am glad to see you Split ear....my old friend.

I don't post much, but am always reading the other posts and how I love reading posts from the Saskguy. Another great story.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I salute your survival skills </div></div>

It is completely amazing to me that deer can survive that long with all the pressure on them.

Very cool story and pics... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Got this picture about 3 weeks ago, His best days have definately come and gone, still have to admire a buck that lives to be old enough to severely go downhill. I'm sure he's mastered the craft of avoiding people enough to go down at the hands of Mother Nature or Father Time.
split10.jpg

Imagine the days without trail cameras and good optics. Many wise old bucks were never known to exist! Great story Kaare!:way:

hey karre...just think what you could've learned from this buck over the past couple years if he would have been radio collared.

For sure another buck has pushed him out of his "safety blanket" by now.

I would like to know an individual buck for that long, once in my life. That, to me, is worth more than the harvest of a Booner. thanks for sharing.

hoofline.gif

I must say that buck has certainly changed a good deal.

I think I like him the way he is now; what a history that buck must have. A buck that has survived that many years has had all of his sense's on hyper alert.

Thanks for sharing the story and photos with us Kaare. :)

hoofline.gif

[QUOTEWould you shoot him if he came by Sask?][/QUOTE]

Honestly, likely not. I never really had any plans on killing him, there were always better bucks in the area. However as the years passed it became rewarding to see a familiar face perennialy while others came and went and I grew to appreciate the difficulty in surviving year after year. The very last time I actually laid eyes on him was while he was still in velvet 2 yrs ago. I've got a couple others out there that have been kind of enough to give me a few years of history as well, Im hoping for one of them.

Top Bottom