Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Help, deer tracks

JPetey

I'm new this year to hunting but I'm committed to getting my first buck, my dad and his two brothers farm 1500 acres in eastern Iowa, but they never where raised around hunting so I decided I would be interested in this hobby. So that leads me to my question I was disking in a field about 30 acres and I'm seeing tracks and that's when I noticed these tracks, can anyone give me some info on this. It would be much appreciated. Any other tips would help also thanks alot.

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
email the pic to your self and upload it from your desktop. Or you can download photobucket to your iPhone ( i use it on my iPhone) copy the image code once uploaded and paste it to this post.

shoot me a PM if you have any questions

image.jpg

I wouldn't put to much thought into a track. But.. with that said there is a chance that you have a heavy bodied buck running around that area. I would put some mineral on the edge of the timber where you think that deer is living. Check it after a month and based on the usage you are seeing, I would put a camera on it in July and you should be able to easily find out what is running around that farm. This is a pretty good way to take inventory of the area. I would put it out soon though. As far as the mineral goes, Lucky Buck is a great attractant as well as a trophy rock or salt lick. I have had major success with Lucky buck. Good Luck and you never know, you may have a giant, that is the fun part. :way:

Sounds like you are really really new to this, so I would say the best thing to do, would be start getting magazines and books on deer hunting. There are a few out there that are really good. As far as this site, all of us here can offer a ton of help. Welcome to the site, and good luck. You are gonna get hooked like the rest of us :way:

Sounds like you are really really new to this, so I would say the best thing to do, would be start getting magazines and books on deer hunting. There are a few out there that are really good. As far as this site, all of us here can offer a ton of help. Welcome to the site, and good luck. You are gonna get hooked like the rest of us :way:

x2 That's how I got started, good luck! Welcome to the site.

Like dedgeez said, great track but don't put too much into it. If indeed it's a nice buck, he may not even be around come fall. Get a trail cam or two up around the field edge to take inventory this summer.

Also, what seasons are you planning to hunt? In all honesty, instead of committing to get your first buck, commit to getting a good, clean kill and progress from there. Good luck!

Thanks for all the advice, I've been watching the outdoor channel quite a bit but I don't learn a whole lot from it but I'll look into some magazines.
I knew I had to get mineral but I didnt know when so thanks for that. I'll get some lucky buck, a far as salt lick goes how should I set that up across patches of timber, thanks again to everyone!

That track was made in soft soil; possibly mud. That is the reason it is spread open, and exaggerated. I wouldn't get too fired up about a track like that. Follow those tracks to the edge of the field; then look at the tracks and where they are going. Once you can figure out where a track is coming from and where it is going; you are on your way to successful hunting.

Be sure to set aside a couple thousand dollars.. You're new found hobby aint gonna be very cheap... :)

Good Luck and welcome to our madness..

I think I've got mostly what I need I was really fortunate that a guy gave me his bow and I've got camo, game cam, new ground blind, I'm thinking of putting money into a range finder I've been told its a necessity. Is there any other big money items that are a necessity.

I think I've got mostly what I need I was really fortunate that a guy gave me his bow and I've got camo, game cam, new ground blind, I'm thinking of putting money into a range finder I've been told its a necessity. Is there any other big money items that are a necessity.

I dont use a range finder. Game cameras are great though for helping you get an idea what is running around on your farms.
Also, a few stands wouldn't hurt as you will want to play the wind when fall gets here.

Also, gas $ :way:

Forget the range finder for bowhunting. There are more important things to consider to purchase. I've been bowhunting for 42 years, and i've never used a range finder. The most important consideration is getting your bow set up correctly and tuning the right arrows to shoot accurately.

cedar creek said:
Forget the range finder for bowhunting. There are more important things to consider to purchase. I've been bowhunting for 42 years, and i've never used a range finder. The most important consideration is getting your bow set up correctly and tuning the right arrows to shoot accurately.

That's good, I've been shooting my bow with aluminum arrows for about 2 months but I found some arrows in the basement of my moms new house and they seem to look like they might work, there beman vibrake ICS hunter, do you think I could hunt deer with those?

beman vibrake ICS hunter, do you think I could hunt deer with those?
We need to know a little bit about the bow your shooting before we can determine if you can use those arrows. As in draw length and poundage.

Those arrows will have a number printed on them that tells the "spine" of the arrow. It is the most important factor when determining which arrows to use. Spine is basicly the stiffness of an arrow. Arrows with too little spine can be very dangerous to shoot out a high poundage bow. Also has alot to do with how accurate they will shoot from your bow.

When you get a chance, check the draw length (may have to ask the old owner), length of your arrow and where your bow is set at for poundage.

Those would be good arrows if the spine is correct for your bow.

iowabucks said:
We need to know a little bit about the bow your shooting before we can determine if you can use those arrows. As in draw length and poundage.

Those arrows will have a number printed on them that tells the "spine" of the arrow. It is the most important factor when determining which arrows to use. Spine is basicly the stiffness of an arrow. Arrows with too little spine can be very dangerous to shoot out a high poundage bow. Also has alot to do with how accurate they will shoot from your bow.

When you get a chance, check the draw length (may have to ask the old owner), length of your arrow and where your bow is set at for poundage.

Those would be good arrows if the spine is correct for your bow.

My bow is Hoyt havoctec, 50-60 lbs, I want to say 28" draw length but not for sure, the number on the arrow says 400 an then 8.4 gpi.

That is a big buck track. The heavier the deer the wider the splaying of the track. The splaying in that track is not just due to mud. Tracks that are 4 fingers wide are heavier deer. I would take a close look at the tracks you find. They can tell you a lot especially when locating buck bedding areas. Don't get caught up in all of the gadgets and learn the basics first.

Top Bottom